Help with Jeep Liberty

Sakura

Hi, I have a couple things I wanna ask here, so I’ve been to the mechanic for this first problem and he wasn’t sure what it was but he said it may be the shift lock. When I got my Jeep Liberty I would vibrate at like 30 35 40 and 45 and then it started doing it at the higher speeds also, and I’ve tried researching and everything I could to try and find what is going on with it and what’s causing it but I just can’t find anything and I need to know in case it’s something bad that will hurt my Jeep or cause more damage. My second concern is the RPM gauge, it seems to work as it should but when you stop pushing the gas it goes to the 1 and 1/2 point but then I look at my moms cars gauge for example and it will stay at 2, is this a problem or is it normal for jeeps?? And my third problem is that the driver car door sings like when the key is in the ignition but the car is completely off and all the lights are off and the doors are closed and locked and I just don’t know why it’s dinging at me. The engine light is on also and I did have that checked out and he said it was a hose or something, idk I’ll have to have him check it again. But I’m in some dire need of help, I’ve got a long drive ahead of me and I need to know what’s going on with my car. Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thank you!!y car. Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thank you!!

longarmwj

First off why don't you go on over to the "Give Us a Wave" section and introduce yourself.

As for the liberty goes, have you had the tires balanced and rotated? Sounds like it could be just a really bad imbalance of the tires for the vibrating :idontknow:

As far as the RPM gauge, of course the RPMs will drop as you let off the gas, becuase the motor isn't rotating as much. Different cars have different idle RPMs and such so comparing your mom's car (not sure what kind of vehicle it is) isn't going to be an apples to apples comparison.

The dinging could be any number of things. Is it dinging when you put the key in? Is it dinging when the key is totally removed? You didn't really give enough info on hat one to be able to say what it might be.

For the check engine light, go by Autozone or something and have then do a free diagnostic. It will tell what the problem is and possibly save you some money with having to pay a fee for a mechanic to take a look at it himself. And if it is an easy fix, it's something that you could do yourself.

Sakura

First I wanna say thank you for answering me!

And I can’t fine the give us a wave section?

I don’t think I had that done to the tires but I can try that. The dinging happens when I open the driver door when the car is off and the key is out, so unless the car is turned on it will ding when the door is open. Ive had a mechanic check what the engine light is on for three times but it has something to do with a hose or something but I’ll get it looked at again. Also the Jeep seems to have trouble shifting so I’m wondering if that has anything to do with the vibrating maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

longarmwj

https://wayalife.com/forumdisplay.php/11-Give-us-a-Wave

And it sounds like you might be leaving something on when you are leaving the vehicle. Headlights maybe?

As far the transmission shifting hard, I doubt a vibration has anything to do with that. Is the vibration associated with any noises? Does it sound like it is grinding or anything? If a transmission is slipping it can cause a vibration and noise but only sometimes, not consistently.

Sakura

I’ve double triple quadruple checked, unfortunately it’s not just the headlights [emoji20]

I’ll have to listen to it again but there may be noise sometimes when it does but I’ll have to really listen and pay attention and then I’ll let you know what it sounds like, the grinding maybe but I wanna be sure before I say yes or no

sipafz

Caught the Bug
What year Liberty do you have? I’ve had 3, ‘03, ‘07 & ,’11. The ‘07 was a POS and had chronic transmission vibration at 45mph. After many attempts the dealership couldn’t fix it to my satisfaction, so
I ended up trading it in on the ‘11. As far as the dinging, try disconnecting the battery to reset the system. I don’t understand your CEL issue and how it relates to a hose. What exactly is the code?

Sakura

Mine is an 07 and yeah that’s when it vibrates the worst, at 45 mph, and no one can find what it is on mine either.

Ok I’ll try that, what does CEL mean? Yeah idk how it’s a hose either cuz it’s been smoked twice and they couldn’t find it. Which code do you mean?

Also I listened when it vibrates and I didn’t hear any noise, so maybe it’s just the transmission is slipping like you said? It’s hard to explain.

I’m sorry I just keep remembering things that I meant to put in my post but it’s also really sluggish, when I’m on the highway and I’m going 70, everyone is passing me, like literally everyone, even those huge semis, and it feels like I’m going 60 when I’m going 70 and when I’m going 60 it feels like 50. Even other liberties are passing me, idk what the deal is with mine.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Mine is an 07 and yeah that’s when it vibrates the worst, at 45 mph, and no one can find what it is on mine either.

Ok I’ll try that, what does CEL mean? Yeah idk how it’s a hose either cuz it’s been smoked twice and they couldn’t find it. Which code do you mean?

Also I listened when it vibrates and I didn’t hear any noise, so maybe it’s just the transmission is slipping like you said? It’s hard to explain.

I’m sorry I just keep remembering things that I meant to put in my post but it’s also really sluggish, when I’m on the highway and I’m going 70, everyone is passing me, like literally everyone, even those huge semis, and it feels like I’m going 60 when I’m going 70 and when I’m going 60 it feels like 50. Even other liberties are passing me, idk what the deal is with mine.

On my ‘07, the dealership replaced my automatic transmissions torque converter, made several adjustments and re-flashed the computer many times under warranty. It would seem better for a few weeks, but start to vibrate again mostly at 45 and up hills. In all, I had the Jeep for 4 years and got in the habit of turning off the over drive via the button on the gear selector console (might only be an option if you have the factory towing package, idk). That helped a lot.

CEL stands for Check Engine Light. You can cycle the key from off to the run position (not the start position) and back 3 times and the stored code will display at the odometer readout. There are instructions on this forum on how to do that and what the codes mean. Another option is most parts stores like O’Reillys will scan for codes free of charge.

Sakura

Oh ok, I’ll have a mechanic check the torque on mine just to make sure it’s good. And yeah I found out that the O/D being off really did help with the vibrating too.

I see, ok awesome I’ll try that. Just one more question, where do I find the instructions on the forum?

Thank you both so much!! You’ve been a lot of help and I hope to talk to you again! And I’m definitely coming here when I need help with my Jeep! [emoji1][emoji1] thanks again!!

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Oh ok, I’ll have a mechanic check the torque on mine just to make sure it’s good. And yeah I found out that the O/D being off really did help with the vibrating too.

I see, ok awesome I’ll try that. Just one more question, where do I find the instructions on the forum?

Thank you both so much!! You’ve been a lot of help and I hope to talk to you again! And I’m definitely coming here when I need help with my Jeep! [emoji1][emoji1] thanks again!!

CHECK ENGINE CODES : 2007-Up Jeep JK Wrangler

Thanks to the advent of technology, just about every single part on your new Jeep JK Wrangler is wired up to a computer. And, if anything goes wrong with any one of these parts, your Jeep’s computer will make a note of it and/or even let you know about it by illuminating a Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL for short or ‘check engine’ light) or icons on your dash. Unfortunately, the MIL or other icons won’t tell you a whole lot other than the fact that your Jeep is having some kind of a problem and unless you take your Jeep into the dealership or have a OBDII reader handy, you’re pretty much out of luck, right? Wrong. As luck would have it, the JK Wrangler’s come with a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) reader built right into the dash and you can access them by following the 3 simple steps below. Once you have the DTC code(s) in hand, check it/them against the list below and you will be able to find out exactly what problems your Jeep is having.

https://wayalife.com/showpost.php?p=1413

Top Bottom