Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interior dome llight doesn’t work

Interior dome llight doesn’t work

My interior door light in my 2002 Wrangler 2.5L TJ will not turn on. I’ve checked fuse 4,11, and 25. All of them work. The Jeep chimes with the key in, and turned to the on position with the key in. However the dome light will not turn on with the door open, or if I press the button for them, or if I turn the knob all the way to the left. Any clues what my issue is?? It’s in the sound bar and my speakers work so I’m assuming the wiring should be fine for it, the bulbs I’m using are Sylvia LEDs. I checked on the autozone and the NAPA website and it says that it should fit. I checked the electronic device at Wal mart too to make sure they would be compatable with my dome light.

Quote Originally Posted by The.Ernie View Post
    My interior door light in my 2002 Wrangler 2.5L TJ will not turn on. I’ve checked fuse 4,11, and 25. All of them work. The Jeep chimes with the key in, and turned to the on position with the key in. However the dome light will not turn on with the door open, or if I press the button for them, or if I turn the knob all the way to the left. Any clues what my issue is?? It’s in the sound bar and my speakers work so I’m assuming the wiring should be fine for it, the bulbs I’m using are Sylvia LEDs. I checked on the autozone and the NAPA website and it says that it should fit. I checked the electronic device at Wal mart too to make sure they would be compatable with my dome light.
    Did it ever work after you installed the LED? Did you try switching the polarity?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy_RCW View Post
    Did it ever work after you installed the LED? Did you try switching the polarity?

It has never worked ever since I got it. Sounds like I should switch the polarity then? But if I do that would it mess with my sound bar speakers at all?

Switch the polarity if you can. If I remember correctly that bulb is one of the long tube style ones with metal tips on each end correct? Just pull it out and swap ends.

Fresh Catch
    Quick question for you, do you have test light or Volt meter? If so you can test for power at the lamp socket to rule the polarity problem out power to there comes from C2 (on the back of your instrument cluster)pin 5 it’s a yellow wire the Sears ckts for passenger is pin 3 and for driver is pin 4 the service manual I have says start at the switch and the go to the cluster connector 2 I can’t upload the pages right now but I will see if I can as per copy write etc don’t want any problems anyway this manual I have doesn’t say which year TJs or if powertrains are diff but the fuses are the same I’ll find the wiring diagram but the whole section for diagnosing this a a cpl paragraphs

Last edited by Shadowfire; 09-16-2018 at 06:34 PM.
    IF aint broke fix it until it is or you are!

Fresh Catch

Wiring Diagram

Hope this uploads correctly gotta to work on the rest its too big but this is a start C2 is the 16 pin connector and c1 is the 12 pin
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Shadowfire; 09-16-2018 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfire View Post
    Hope this uploads correctly gotta to work on the rest its too big but this is a start C2 is the 16 pin connector and c1 is the 12 pin
    I freaking love you man.

Quote Originally Posted by The.Ernie View Post
    It has never worked ever since I got it. Sounds like I should switch the polarity then? But if I do that would it mess with my sound bar speakers at all?

No. The bulb is a diode. It will only allow current flow (and light up) in one direction. It’s a 50-50 chance you put it in backwards. First thing I would do would be remove the bulb, flip it around, and re-install it. If it doesn’t work either way then you have another issue.

Last edited by Speedy_RCW; 09-21-2018 at 05:15 AM. Reason: Damn auto-correct

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy_RCW View Post
    No. The bulb is a diode. It will only allow current flow (and light up) in one direction. It’s a 50-50 chance you put it in backwards. First thing I would do would be remove the bulb, flip it around, and re-install it. If it doesn’t work either way then you have another issue.

I did that. Still did not light up

Check fuse 20 as well. That should be where power is fed to your interior lights...I think. If nothing else pull the dome light and ground the wire. If it works then ya have a switch problem of sorts if not then something in the light is f’d up. Try grounding the yellow wire to metal.

————————
    2016 Granite Crystal Metallic 2 door Jk
    Last edited by FLAVE; 09-21-2018 at 02:59 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast