Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Interior dome llight doesn’t work

  1. #1
    Caught the Bug The.Ernie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    50

    Interior dome llight doesn’t work

    My interior door light in my 2002 Wrangler 2.5L TJ will not turn on. I’ve checked fuse 4,11, and 25. All of them work. The Jeep chimes with the key in, and turned to the on position with the key in. However the dome light will not turn on with the door open, or if I press the button for them, or if I turn the knob all the way to the left. Any clues what my issue is?? It’s in the sound bar and my speakers work so I’m assuming the wiring should be fine for it, the bulbs I’m using are Sylvia LEDs. I checked on the autozone and the NAPA website and it says that it should fit. I checked the electronic device at Wal mart too to make sure they would be compatable with my dome light.

  2. #2
    Nothing but a Thing Speedy_RCW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,975
    Quote Originally Posted by The.Ernie View Post
    My interior door light in my 2002 Wrangler 2.5L TJ will not turn on. I’ve checked fuse 4,11, and 25. All of them work. The Jeep chimes with the key in, and turned to the on position with the key in. However the dome light will not turn on with the door open, or if I press the button for them, or if I turn the knob all the way to the left. Any clues what my issue is?? It’s in the sound bar and my speakers work so I’m assuming the wiring should be fine for it, the bulbs I’m using are Sylvia LEDs. I checked on the autozone and the NAPA website and it says that it should fit. I checked the electronic device at Wal mart too to make sure they would be compatable with my dome light.
    Did it ever work after you installed the LED? Did you try switching the polarity?


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

  3. #3
    Caught the Bug The.Ernie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy_RCW View Post
    Did it ever work after you installed the LED? Did you try switching the polarity?


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    It has never worked ever since I got it. Sounds like I should switch the polarity then? But if I do that would it mess with my sound bar speakers at all?


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

  4. #4
    Nothing but a Thing Bear_JKU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    1,669
    Switch the polarity if you can. If I remember correctly that bulb is one of the long tube style ones with metal tips on each end correct? Just pull it out and swap ends.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

  5. #5
    Fresh Catch
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    27
    Quick question for you, do you have test light or Volt meter? If so you can test for power at the lamp socket to rule the polarity problem out power to there comes from C2 (on the back of your instrument cluster)pin 5 it’s a yellow wire the Sears ckts for passenger is pin 3 and for driver is pin 4 the service manual I have says start at the switch and the go to the cluster connector 2 I can’t upload the pages right now but I will see if I can as per copy write etc don’t want any problems anyway this manual I have doesn’t say which year TJs or if powertrains are diff but the fuses are the same I’ll find the wiring diagram but the whole section for diagnosing this a a cpl paragraphs


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Last edited by Shadowfire; 09-16-2018 at 06:34 PM.
    IF aint broke fix it until it is or you are!

  6. #6
    Fresh Catch
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    27

    Wiring Diagram

    Hope this uploads correctly gotta to work on the rest its too big but this is a start C2 is the 16 pin connector and c1 is the 12 pin
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Shadowfire; 09-16-2018 at 06:33 PM.

  7. #7
    Caught the Bug The.Ernie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfire View Post
    Hope this uploads correctly gotta to work on the rest its too big but this is a start C2 is the 16 pin connector and c1 is the 12 pin
    I freaking love you man.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

  8. #8
    Nothing but a Thing Speedy_RCW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,975

    Interior dome llight doesn’t work

    Quote Originally Posted by The.Ernie View Post
    It has never worked ever since I got it. Sounds like I should switch the polarity then? But if I do that would it mess with my sound bar speakers at all?


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    No. The bulb is a diode. It will only allow current flow (and light up) in one direction. It’s a 50-50 chance you put it in backwards. First thing I would do would be remove the bulb, flip it around, and re-install it. If it doesn’t work either way then you have another issue.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Last edited by Speedy_RCW; 09-21-2018 at 05:15 AM. Reason: Damn auto-correct

  9. #9
    Caught the Bug The.Ernie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy_RCW View Post
    No. The bulb is a diode. It will only allow current flow (and light up) in one direction. It’s a 50-50 chance you put it in backwards. First thing I would do would be remove the bulb, flip it around, and re-install it. If it doesn’t work either way then you have another issue.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    I did that. Still did not light up


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

  10. #10
    Fresh Catch FLAVE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Appomattox, VA
    Posts
    24

    Interior dome llight doesn’t work

    Check fuse 20 as well. That should be where power is fed to your interior lights...I think. If nothing else pull the dome light and ground the wire. If it works then ya have a switch problem of sorts if not then something in the light is f’d up. Try grounding the yellow wire to metal.


    ————————
    2016 Granite Crystal Metallic 2 door Jk
    Last edited by FLAVE; 09-21-2018 at 02:59 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08-19-2018, 09:07 PM
  2. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-26-2016, 04:11 PM
  3. Interior Dome light help and some other things.
    By Lovemyrubi in forum Jeep JK Wrangler
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-23-2016, 06:59 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-15-2015, 03:08 AM
  5. JKU Interior Dome Light Question
    By Kpalas in forum Jeep JK Wrangler
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-29-2015, 02:55 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
“wayoflife” is a moniker that I’ve been using for 20 years now and I chose it because I think it does a great job of explaining, in simple terms, the passion I have for Jeeps and the Jeep way of life. This is a lifestyle that transcends age, gender and race as the only thing you need to be a part of it is a love for the outdoors, a desire to explore, a yearning to take on a challenge and a will to conquer it. Over the years, Cindy and I have attempted to capture the essence of this lifestyle through photographs and videos and share it with others around the world. And, this is how WAYALIFE was born.
Join us
WATCH OUR VIDEOS