Interior dome llight doesn’t work

The.Ernie

My interior door light in my 2002 Wrangler 2.5L TJ will not turn on. I’ve checked fuse 4,11, and 25. All of them work. The Jeep chimes with the key in, and turned to the on position with the key in. However the dome light will not turn on with the door open, or if I press the button for them, or if I turn the knob all the way to the left. Any clues what my issue is?? It’s in the sound bar and my speakers work so I’m assuming the wiring should be fine for it, the bulbs I’m using are Sylvia LEDs. I checked on the autozone and the NAPA website and it says that it should fit. I checked the electronic device at Wal mart too to make sure they would be compatable with my dome light.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
My interior door light in my 2002 Wrangler 2.5L TJ will not turn on. I’ve checked fuse 4,11, and 25. All of them work. The Jeep chimes with the key in, and turned to the on position with the key in. However the dome light will not turn on with the door open, or if I press the button for them, or if I turn the knob all the way to the left. Any clues what my issue is?? It’s in the sound bar and my speakers work so I’m assuming the wiring should be fine for it, the bulbs I’m using are Sylvia LEDs. I checked on the autozone and the NAPA website and it says that it should fit. I checked the electronic device at Wal mart too to make sure they would be compatable with my dome light.

Did it ever work after you installed the LED? Did you try switching the polarity?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Bear_JT

Hooked
Switch the polarity if you can. If I remember correctly that bulb is one of the long tube style ones with metal tips on each end correct? Just pull it out and swap ends.

Shadowfire

Quick question for you, do you have test light or Volt meter? If so you can test for power at the lamp socket to rule the polarity problem out power to there comes from C2 (on the back of your instrument cluster)pin 5 it’s a yellow wire the Sears ckts for passenger is pin 3 and for driver is pin 4 the service manual I have says start at the switch and the go to the cluster connector 2 I can’t upload the pages right now but I will see if I can as per copy write etc don’t want any problems anyway this manual I have doesn’t say which year TJs or if powertrains are diff but the fuses are the same I’ll find the wiring diagram but the whole section for diagnosing this a a cpl paragraphs

Last edited:

Shadowfire

Wiring Diagram

Hope this uploads correctly gotta to work on the rest its too big but this is a start C2 is the 16 pin connector and c1 is the 12 pin

Attachments

• Dome.jpg
    Dome.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 62
  • Instrument.jpg
    Instrument.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
It has never worked ever since I got it. Sounds like I should switch the polarity then? But if I do that would it mess with my sound bar speakers at all?

No. The bulb is a diode. It will only allow current flow (and light up) in one direction. It’s a 50-50 chance you put it in backwards. First thing I would do would be remove the bulb, flip it around, and re-install it. If it doesn’t work either way then you have another issue.

Last edited:

FLAVE

Check fuse 20 as well. That should be where power is fed to your interior lights...I think. If nothing else pull the dome light and ground the wire. If it works then ya have a switch problem of sorts if not then something in the light is f’d up. Try grounding the yellow wire to metal.

————————
2016 Granite Crystal Metallic 2 door Jk

Last edited:

Shadowfire

Like Flave said there should always be power at the socket the switches basically open and close the circuit by removing the ground a test light will help determine what and where it s missing a volt meter would be better, your local harbor freight sells cheap ones of both that will get the job done if you don’t know how to use them just search it lots of good how to info online...and I have a link I can PM you on where to get a pdf copy of the manual..not going to openly post that

DogHouse

Have you checked the switch inside the door? Not sure if they’re wired similarly or not but my dome light just stopped working one day in my ‘07 JK. Figured out it was the switch inside my door that was malfunctioning. Good luck.

The.Ernie

Have you checked the switch inside the door? Not sure if they’re wired similarly or not but my dome light just stopped working one day in my ‘07 JK. Figured out it was the switch inside my door that was malfunctioning. Good luck.

Well when it beeps I’ll press the switch thing that detects the doors and the beeping will stop

Top Bottom