ZJ or WJ Issues to look for.

The BAD Influence

Caught the Bug
My son is wanting to purchase a ZJ or WJ. His budget is $6,000, including any mods. What years should we be looking at, any specific issues we need to avoid or be looking for?
Thanks for the help.

WJCO

Meme King
My son is wanting to purchase a ZJ or WJ. His budget is $6,000, including any mods. What years should we be looking at, any specific issues we need to avoid or be looking for?
Thanks for the help.

Each vehicle will always have it's common issues. If you can, try to find one with lower mileage being that they are both older vehicles. The WJ came with a 4.7 V8 or an 4.0L I6. The 4.0 is a great engine but the V8 has more power and an awesome transmission to go with it. There is also a D44 rear axle with the V8 power train. As always, look for rust. Either vehicle can be built if that's what he's going for.

Rockers blow out from rust. 99-01? 4.0l heads prone to cracking. That d44 I think is a d44a, not as cool. 42re trans known to need governor and solenoid replaced for OD, not that big a deal. You can get a great shape 96+ (facelift) zj 4.0 for 1500 put 2k into long arm lift and big tires. Find an explorer 8.8 or a d44 to slap in the back, the 30 up front does just fine. All GC bumpers and armor is pricey, just way less demand then wranglers. Pre 96 seats are still the most pillowy couch like seats I’ve ever seen in a car. The tailgate handles like to get douchey but if you push in on the tailgate while lifting the handle they normally will release.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

daltexjeeper

I have owned my ZJ for 3 weeks now. Definitely take a look at the rocker panels. They are usually hidden by plastic fascia. Mine are pretty much rusted out. Seems to be a somewhat common problem on ZJs and XJs since they are hollow and water/debris can sit in them. Something to keep in mind.

Top Bottom