JL Lift - Drive Shaft Contact?

electron

Issue: Has anyone experienced this issue that Teraflex noted concerning the drive shaft making contact with the gas tank skid plate when a JL with a lift encounters excessive left, rear suspension droop?
Year: 2018.
Platform: JL.
Model: All models of Sport/Sahara/Rubicon.

The following is a video from Teraflex's article about their new shocks and lift kit for the Jeep JL.
You can forward the player to about 2:00 where the techs are discussing this issue, and how the team minimized the contact the drive shaft made against the skid plate.
Teraflex Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zWh8q3-Wlc

Teraflex Article: UPDATE: ALL-NEW JL/JLU FALCON SERIES 2.1 MONOTUBE SHOCK ABSORBERS HAVE ARRIVED!

Interesting note: The technicians described how the issue can still persist despite the installation of a rear track bar relocation kit, so moving the skid plate was an additional step to provide adequate clearance.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL!! Umm, welcome to WAYALIFE. Talk about thorough first posts complete with proper formatting and bolded text for emphasis. Most people start off by saying "hey - new to the forum and here a pic of my Jeep" instead of asking a loaded question that already has an answer provided by the links you've provided.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn’t trust anything a Terrorflex technician says if my life depended on it

LOL!! Just because all their stuff is made in China and put in boxes that say "designed and assembled in America" doesn't mean their techs can't spot a legit problem. Of course, if something of theirs breaks, it'll be your fault for installing it wrong while they send you a new part. :rolleyes2:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Same guys that couldn’t get the JL in gear? Yeah, I’d trust what they say like a fart after Taco Bell.

longarmwj

LOL!! Just because all their stuff is made in China and put in boxes that say "designed and assembled in America" doesn't mean their techs can't spot a legit problem. Of course, if something of theirs breaks, it'll be your fault for installing it wrong while they send you a new part. :rolleyes2:

Don’t forget to take detailed pictures to document everything though. Ya know just Incase they send you a part that has never been shipped out in the history of forever and nobody has like some “other company” we know and love does

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
issue: has anyone experienced this issue that teraflex noted concerning the drive shaft making contact with the gas tank skid plate when a jl with a lift encounters excessive left, rear suspension droop?

Nope.

the following is a video from teraflex's article about their new shocks and lift kit for the jeep jl.
You can forward the player to about 2:00 where the techs are discussing this issue, and how the team minimized the contact the drive shaft made against the skid plate.
teraflex video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zwh8q3-wlc

Don't care.

Still don't care.

interesting note: The technicians described how the issue can still persist despite the installation of a rear track bar relocation kit, so moving the skid plate was an additional step to provide adequate clearance.

No. Not interesting at all.

Fuck Off.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
It is something you need to check for and can happen. Some of the companies are telling folks to shift axle slightly driver if they include an adjustable track bar. Aftermarket shaft will give you more clearance too.

Sent from my SM-G960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

electron

I brought this concern to the forum because the explanation appears that this problem occurs irregardless of any brand of lift kit. This is a suspension geometry issue, and I don't know how the JK was constructed a bit differently to overcome this.

I understand that if you don't care, then this thread is irrelevant for you, but I presented this to everyone because someone out there probably wants to do a lift correctly without affecting their warranty.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I brought this concern to the forum because the explanation appears that this problem occurs irregardless of any brand of lift kit. This is a suspension geometry issue, and I don't know how the JK was constructed a bit differently to overcome this.

I understand that if you don't care, then this thread is irrelevant for you, but I presented this to everyone because someone out there probably wants to do a lift correctly without affecting their warranty.

Forum messiah.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

It was a problem on the JK too. TeraFlex is just trying to make themselves sound smart by convincing guys like you this is something new. If anything, the JL was designed with a gas tank skid that's notched out so that the pinion yoke no longer makes contact with it.

As far as lifts go, this is ONLY a problem if you are running a lift that has a LOT of flex. Funny thing is, this shouldn't be a problem for TeraFlex being that they're coils tend to be super stiff. If you take the time to notice, their video shows this problem while cycling their suspension WITHOUT coils installed and through computer animation. In other words, this is NOT a problem most lift kits will have. Certainly, of the kits I've tested so far, only the Dynatrac kit has given me enough flex for this to be an issue and really, it's barely one at that.

20180915100651-b61b8f8e-me.jpg

electron

It was a problem on the JK too. TeraFlex is just trying to make themselves sound smart by convincing guys like you this is something new. If anything, the JL was designed with a gas tank skid that's notched out so that the pinion yoke no longer makes contact with it.

As far as lifts go, this is ONLY a problem if you are running a lift that has a LOT of flex. Funny thing is, this shouldn't be a problem for TeraFlex being that they're coils tend to be super stiff. If you take the time to notice, their video shows this problem while cycling their suspension WITHOUT coils installed and through computer animation. In other words, this is NOT a problem most lift kits will have. Certainly, of the kits I've tested so far, only the Dynatrac kit has given me enough flex for this to be an issue and really, it's barely one at that.

20180915100651-b61b8f8e-me.jpg

Thanks for the explanation!

I figured this issue would be on the far end of the spectrum where folks really flex the hell out of the suspension, however, I wasn't quite sure. I had a Jeep JK a few years ago with a 2.5" lift and never experienced the issue, nor did it ever cross my mind that it could happen.

Thanks again!

Top Bottom