Southern California: West Mojave (WEMO) Plan Environmental Assessment (EA)

jesse3638

Hooked
I'm sure most of you have heard of trails being closed or efforts to re-open closed trails. I thought I'd provide a little information on what goes on within the federal agencies in doing so. Currently the West Mojave (WEMO) Plan, which is managed by the BLM-California Desert District in Southern California, environmental assessment (EA) is open for public comment. Numerous trails are involved and decisions made regarding them could potentially affect countless users. However, meetings and such are typically attended by very few and decisions are made from recommendations brought forth by these few. Usually they have stake in something affected by the decision to close or open a trail ie...land owner, environmental, OHV, etc. These representations can be skewed if for example, only the local land owners attend or comment and the public land users do not. Usually notice of meetings and EA's are released in local new papers in a very small often overlooked article. The meetings are typically held in the evenings at a school or other large gathering place and often go unnoticed. Meetings and comment periods such as these help to determine which trails stay open and which get closed, but unless you're looking out for them you'll probably never even know when they are going on. I've attached the link to the document so you can see what one looks like and just how the process works. The comment period is currently open as well. Hope you all find this informative.

DOI-BLM-CA-D080-2018-0020-EA (Temporary Route Limitation For Routes on BLM Managed Land In San Bernardino County, CA

black pearl

Hooked
Maybe I missed it, but is this just for the general area or a specific trail(s). I really enjoy the Mojave area and still plan on exploring more. My next trip down that way is the Mojave road in march.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
Maybe I missed it, but is this just for the general area or a specific trail(s). I really enjoy the Mojave area and still plan on exploring more. My next trip down that way is the Mojave road in march.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sorry I should clarify. The West Mojave Plan is the name of the route management plan for open routes managed by the BLM in the California Desert District. The plan was given this name because the route network lies primarily within the Mojave desert, specifically the western edge of it. This plan does not apply to the entire Mojave Desert. Additionally, this EA only applies to the routes falling within San Bernardino County, specifically designated county roads also identified as BLM routes. There are routes in Inyo, Kern, and LA Counties as well but are not a part of this current EA.

Top Bottom