Do you tow your Jeep in a toy-hauler?

MericaMade

I have a 36 foot fifth wheel and even though the trailer is big enough to fit the jeep the rear ramp door is not strong enough to hold it. I have been thinking of selling the fifth wheel and getting a class A RV to tow the jeep, but wanted to see if anyone here is using their Toy hauler to transport their jeep. If so what size and model?

MericaMade

Why not tow doubles? Flat tow the Jeep behind the fifth wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I believe that's not legal in some states

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ya, I believe it is illegal in California.

Well after quick google search, I got this answer... You can with Class A CDL and must be a 5th wheel or goose neck towing a smaller trailer behind. Must be under 20K GVWR and 65 feet.

Last edited:

Bierpower

Hooked
I've never seen a toy hauler with a weight capacity high enough to carry a Jeep. Even if the weight rating was high enough, you would be adding all that weight to the tail of the trailer making it pretty unpleasant to pull.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug

Well after quick google search, I got this answer... You can with Class A CDL and must be a 5th wheel or goose neck towing a smaller trailer behind. Must be under 20K GVWR and 65 feet.

Wow, what a waste. No wonder you rarely see someone doing this. It would be pretty hard to gross less than 20K.

wjtstudios

Hooked
I've never seen a toy hauler with a weight capacity high enough to carry a Jeep. Even if the weight rating was high enough, you would be adding all that weight to the tail of the trailer making it pretty unpleasant to pull.

Check out ATC. They have purpose built gooseneck toy haulers that can easily carry a built Jeep. They have them in two versions, a standard hauler and one with a really nice living quarters built in. High quality trailers.

tippedover

Could make your own by budy got a big equipment trailer cut the axels off an old 5th wheel lifted up on to it and welded it down, and has room for his jeep on the back. Kind of a red neck way but works well. I’ll see if I can get a picture

jdofmemi

Vintage makes good high quality trailers as well. They will haul your Jeep no problem. I have an older one I traded for.
The ramp is no problem, I do block the back of the trailer when loading up.

I recently met a guy with a pretty new one, with different options than mine. You can get them pretty much any length you want. Mine is 48', and is longer than needed by a lot. I would opt for a 38 to 40 foot if I had a choice.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20180525_105053-800x600.jpg
    MVIMG_20180525_105053-800x600.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 253
  • MVIMG_20180525_072903-800x600.jpg
    MVIMG_20180525_072903-800x600.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 252
  • MVIMG_20180525_174940-800x600.jpg
    MVIMG_20180525_174940-800x600.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 262

jesse3638

Hooked

Wow, what a waste. No wonder you rarely see someone doing this. It would be pretty hard to gross less than 20K.

If I remember correctly it was 85' up until a couple years ago. I had a friend who's dad was pissed when they changed it because he could no longer use his setup.

longarmwj

Now that’s legit!! I’ll have to check them out. Probably pricey though.

Or you could do what I plan on doing in a couple of years. Buy an old school bus, chop the back half to fit a jeep in it, and then fix the front half up as a sleeper with stove, shower, whatever you may want. A guy local to me has a bus done up like that. He calls it the Taj-Ma-HAUL.

MericaMade

Or you could do what I plan on doing in a couple of years. Buy an old school bus, chop the back half to fit a jeep in it, and then fix the front half up as a sleeper with stove, shower, whatever you may want. A guy local to me has a bus done up like that. He calls it the Taj-Ma-HAUL.

LOL that's a great name but too much work. I spent some time looking a Class A's and Super C's today and think that is the best way to with the Jeep now.

Tumbleweed

I have a Jayco Seneca 36FK Super C. I tow a 20' enclosed trailer. The V-nose isn't counted in the measurements. Overall length is 68' 3". It pulls like a dream, but mountains are a bit of an issue. The 6.7 Cummins is a wonderful engine, but I am asking a lot from it. 33.960 lbs at a CAT scale.
If I had it to do all over, I'd get an 8' ceiling height and a side entrance access door where the Jeep door is. That will allow easier egress.
Utah RV2 (Small).jpg

jdofmemi

I hear you on the side door idea.

I a bigger guy, and getting out after the Jeep is in the trailer is a challenge. A side door would make it much easier, especially if it lines up to the driver's door when loaded.

MericaMade

I have a Jayco Seneca 36FK Super C. I tow a 20' enclosed trailer. The V-nose isn't counted in the measurements. Overall length is 68' 3". It pulls like a dream, but mountains are a bit of an issue. The 6.7 Cummins is a wonderful engine, but I am asking a lot from it. 33.960 lbs at a CAT scale.
If I had it to do all over, I'd get an 8' ceiling height and a side entrance access door where the Jeep door is. That will allow easier egress.
View attachment 310730

That is a really nice setup. I will just be towing the jeep for awhile and get a trailer down the road. The only reason I would even need a trailer is to add quads or dirt bikes for the kiddo in a few years. I have seen a few of these Jaycos out there and they can be kinda of pricey. I do like the towing numbers, ease of access to engine, and safety of them over a class A.

RSQCON

I've never seen a toy hauler with a weight capacity high enough to carry a Jeep...
ATC just introduced a new fifth wheel. Their initial prototype had twin 8k axles but the production models will all be triple 7k torsion axles. The GVWR on the trailer is a little over 21K and the dry weight is just under 12k. It is the ONLY toy hauler on the market like it. Nobody else comes close. Price on it is around $120k.
ATC-8.5x40-Aluminum-Fifth-Wheel-Toy-Hauler-Custom-Living-Quarters-11.jpg

Dale72

Hooked
LOL that's a great name but too much work. I spent some time looking a Class A's and Super C's today and think that is the best way to with the Jeep now.
The best time to get a RV is now find a 18 still on the lot because the 19's are out and they will just about sell the 18's for cost

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom