Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you tow your Jeep in a toy-hauler?

Vintage makes good high quality trailers as well. They will haul your Jeep no problem. I have an older one I traded for.
    The ramp is no problem, I do block the back of the trailer when loading up.

I recently met a guy with a pretty new one, with different options than mine. You can get them pretty much any length you want. Mine is 48', and is longer than needed by a lot. I would opt for a 38 to 40 foot if I had a choice.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by MericaMade View Post
    Ya, I believe it is illegal in California.

Well after quick google search, I got this answer... You can with Class A CDL and must be a 5th wheel or goose neck towing a smaller trailer behind. Must be under 20K GVWR and 65 feet.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuicksilverJK View Post
    Wow, what a waste. No wonder you rarely see someone doing this. It would be pretty hard to gross less than 20K.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    If I remember correctly it was 85' up until a couple years ago. I had a friend who's dad was pissed when they changed it because he could no longer use his setup.

Quote Originally Posted by OverlanderJK View Post
    Crawler haulers is what Iíve heard them called.

Attachment 310607

Now thatís legit!! Iíll have to check them out. Probably pricey though.

Quote Originally Posted by Clifford33 View Post
    Now thatís legit!! Iíll have to check them out. Probably pricey though.

Or you could do what I plan on doing in a couple of years. Buy an old school bus, chop the back half to fit a jeep in it, and then fix the front half up as a sleeper with stove, shower, whatever you may want. A guy local to me has a bus done up like that. He calls it the Taj-Ma-HAUL.
    Captain Imachurity
    2003 WJ Build Thread
    2017 Gobi JKU Build Thread
    2016 Renegade Sport Build Thread
    2019 Compass Sport Build Thread

Knows a Thing or Two MericaMade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by longarmwj View Post
    Or you could do what I plan on doing in a couple of years. Buy an old school bus, chop the back half to fit a jeep in it, and then fix the front half up as a sleeper with stove, shower, whatever you may want. A guy local to me has a bus done up like that. He calls it the Taj-Ma-HAUL.
    LOL that's a great name but too much work. I spent some time looking a Class A's and Super C's today and think that is the best way to with the Jeep now.

Been Around the Block Tumbleweed's Avatar
    I have a Jayco Seneca 36FK Super C. I tow a 20' enclosed trailer. The V-nose isn't counted in the measurements. Overall length is 68' 3". It pulls like a dream, but mountains are a bit of an issue. The 6.7 Cummins is a wonderful engine, but I am asking a lot from it. 33.960 lbs at a CAT scale.
    If I had it to do all over, I'd get an 8' ceiling height and a side entrance access door where the Jeep door is. That will allow easier egress.
    Utah RV2 (Small).jpg
    '11 JK Silver 2 Door-ACE bumpers-37" Toyo Open Country MTs-Smittybilt sliders-Warn 10K Zeon Winch-3" lift front -4.5" JKU lift rear-Fox shocks-AEV heat reduction hood-ProRock 44-ARB lockers-5.13 gears-RubiCrawler-RCV Axles-Poison Spyder Crusher Flares-EVO Rock Skins-M.O.R.E. Battery Tray-Odyssey dual batteries-ProGrip Brakes-PSC Hydro Assist

I hear you on the side door idea.

I a bigger guy, and getting out after the Jeep is in the trailer is a challenge. A side door would make it much easier, especially if it lines up to the driver's door when loaded.

Knows a Thing or Two MericaMade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumbleweed View Post
    I have a Jayco Seneca 36FK Super C. I tow a 20' enclosed trailer. The V-nose isn't counted in the measurements. Overall length is 68' 3". It pulls like a dream, but mountains are a bit of an issue. The 6.7 Cummins is a wonderful engine, but I am asking a lot from it. 33.960 lbs at a CAT scale.
    If I had it to do all over, I'd get an 8' ceiling height and a side entrance access door where the Jeep door is. That will allow easier egress.
    Utah RV2 (Small).jpg
    That is a really nice setup. I will just be towing the jeep for awhile and get a trailer down the road. The only reason I would even need a trailer is to add quads or dirt bikes for the kiddo in a few years. I have seen a few of these Jaycos out there and they can be kinda of pricey. I do like the towing numbers, ease of access to engine, and safety of them over a class A.

Quote Originally Posted by Bierpower View Post
    I've never seen a toy hauler with a weight capacity high enough to carry a Jeep...
    ATC just introduced a new fifth wheel. Their initial prototype had twin 8k axles but the production models will all be triple 7k torsion axles. The GVWR on the trailer is a little over 21K and the dry weight is just under 12k. It is the ONLY toy hauler on the market like it. Nobody else comes close. Price on it is around $120k.
    ATC-8.5x40-Aluminum-Fifth-Wheel-Toy-Hauler-Custom-Living-Quarters-11.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MericaMade View Post
    LOL that's a great name but too much work. I spent some time looking a Class A's and Super C's today and think that is the best way to with the Jeep now.
    The best time to get a RV is now find a 18 still on the lot because the 19's are out and they will just about sell the 18's for cost

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast