2012 Sahara Wrangler Unlimited not starting after quick stops

Julie615

About 3 weeks ago, my nephew was playing in my Jeep (he's obsessed with it) It was parked in the driveway after we drove home for about 10 minutes. Went to start it up to head home and it did not start. All dash lights came on and nothing. Turned key back to off position, tried to start again, and while it was a hard start, it started up.

Fast-forward to yesterday. Went to get gas, turned Jeep off to fill up the tank. Once tank was full went to start and nothing. Waited a few seconds, turned key back to off, tried to start and again, a hard start, but it started up.

Points of information:

* Recently (about a month ago) I replaced the gas cap because I got the PO456 code....replaced gas cap and it fixed the issue
* I have never replaced the battery on the Jeep, I've owned it (bought it new) since November 2011, have 66,120 miles on it.
* When I start the car, the clock displays as 12:00 but then after a few seconds displays the correct time
* I've experienced issues randomly (less than 1/2 a dozen times) with the radio, not being able to turn it off, change the volume or the station until I restart the Jeep
* I do feel the starts have been a bit harder as of late (maybe 1/2 to a second longer than usual), I actually began to notice this, this past winter but attributed it to the really cold winter we had in NJ and then it became the norm.
* This major issue of it not starting at all has only cropped up after trying to start it after it's been turned off for a short period of time. Both of the times it wouldn't start were a result of trying to start it within 3-10 minutes of it being turned off. However, longer pause times, ie ran into the grocery store for 1/2 hour, it seems to have a hard start. Starting in the morning after sitting over night or after work after sitting for 8+ hours don't seem to be nearly as hard of a start.

Any insight is appreciated. I'm hoping it could just be the battery (which I can replace myself), but if that's not the case I don't want to get ripped off at the mechanic.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

jdofmemi

The symptoms sound like a battery to me. As James said, 7 years is ancient, and about 3 or 4 more than I have gotten in a long while.

I would also check that the alternator is working.

Most auto parts store will test the battery and alternator for free

conner

alternator. that’s what was wrong with mine a few weeks ago same scenario. battery could be culprit too. i’d start with battery because you should get a new one anyways, i just replaced both (both were stock from 09) and no issues anymore. if you have something to read voltage that would be nice, see if over 12v coming outta the alternator and rule that out.

Top Bottom