Another cam sensor atrocity

1LukeDuke

I have owned my 2013 JKRU with 73k on it for a month now. With in the first week I got an ABS Traction control lights during highway speed. No change in anything and reset after ignition shut off. That weekend just the traction control light came on. It was on the highway again. Then on the way home I was on the highway going up a grade and the CEL and traction control came on. It then went into limp mode. I pulled over and shut down and just the CEL was on and I was no longer in limp mode. Got home check the code and it was P0394. So replaced both cam sensors both sides just in case and spark plugs while I was in there. All was well for about three days and then same thing, going up a grade CEL and traction control lights come on and it goes into limp mode. Pull over, shut off still CEL but not in limp mode. Get home, same code. Cam sensor bank 2. Now I take it to the dealer thinking they might know. They drive it and can’t reproduce it. $160 please. Thanks for nothing. I have them flash the PCM/ECU. The Tec says I shouldn’t. I’m so bummed!!!

I have searched many forums and they all have brought up this but, none that I have found has a confirmed cure. Next is the plug on the sensor then, battery, then PCU/ECU, then wire harness. The problem is that I have not seen anyone say that fixed it.

Please, any insight would be much appreciated!!!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

jdofmemi

For the abs and traction control light, is your steering wheel straight? If it is crooked at speed, the computer thinks you are in a skid and tries to control it with the brakes.

Sorry, no help on the other one. There is a lot of knowledge here, so be patient.

1LukeDuke

Update. The light is on again. Same thing as before but I think I can make it do it now. It’s the same area on the highway. At least I have that going for me again.

jmayps

Update. The light is on again. Same thing as before but I think I can make it do it now. It’s the same area on the highway. At least I have that going for me again.

I’ve had the same issue with my 2013 JK for about a year now. Happened randomly one day going up a steep incline in the Blue Ridge Parkway. Does it now whenever I drive for an extended period of time or when I have a hard acceleration. Having it dropped off at the shop on Thursday. I’ll let you know what they say. I’m hoping they can fix it.

1LukeDuke

@jmayps I hope you find the cure. I’m going to probably start with the motor wire harness. If that doesn’t fix it, PCM ECU replacement. Good luck to you and your mechanic!!! I’ll let you know either way on my end.

Flat Top

Cam phasers / Cam phaser bolts / Oil sensor - Good luck with this crap!

It's been a major PITA for me but hopefully will be coming to an end this week.
Mine (2013 w/ 107,000) is at the dealer for the third time with similar issues. Running at 3K + RPM for 3-5 minutes at a constant speed (cruise control) with temps 90+ will result in the same issue. Traction control with CEL / limp mode and P0369. Changed the Cam sensor with no impact.

First visit(End of Summer 2017 - 95K miles): They suggested to me to change the oil (seriously). The issue persisted but cooler fall temps delayed triggering again until this summer.

Second visit (August 1st 103K miles): They ran software updates on PCM and BCM. If anything error was easier to trigger.

Third Visit (September 6th - today - 107k miles): After 10 days at the dealer and a 5 day wait for the "heavy engine tech" I got a call today that they are changing all 4 cam phasers as well as oil sensor/sending units. Luckily I have an extended warranty (125K/ 6 years) that will cover all but $100 deductible and potentially some additional labor for "modifications" that the extended warranty adjuster will not cover . I'm trying to get clarification on the additional labor but I think the modifications are my dual ARB compressor on a M.O.R.E mount that is blocking the drivers side valve cover and possibly access to the battery.

What's really funny is that I have been suggesting Cam Phasers since the second visit. I know they don't like internet diagnosis but there is a reason its' out there.

jmayps

Hopefully that fixes the issue. My JK is no longer under warranty, so fingers crossed it doesn’t cost an arm and a leg. The codes I’ve been getting are: C121C, P2638, and P0369. All same issues you are seeing though.

1LukeDuke

@jmayps mine goes in again on Friday. I’m taking the day off to drive my vehicle while the mechanic watches his scope and hopes to find the problem on the same day. Keeping my fingers crossed.

1LukeDuke

Well I think we fixed it. Two days in no CEL. Both of my oil galley bolts below the cam chain sprocket were loose. Torqued them down and no more problems. Poor workmanship but thank the Lord they did not fall out and bounce around!!! Super pumped!!! Thanks for all the help.

jmayps

Well I think we fixed it. Two days in no CEL. Both of my oil galley bolts below the cam chain sprocket were loose. Torqued them down and no more problems. Poor workmanship but thank the Lord they did not fall out and bounce around!!! Super pumped!!! Thanks for all the help.

Do you have a picture of where these are located? The mechanic said he couldn’t get the jeep to replicate the issue and things some loose wiring was to blame. If it happens again I’m going to have him check this out.

1LukeDuke

@jmayps the other forum with the picture is down. Once it’s up I’ll get you the pic. Although it through the CEL last night. Just can’t figure it out.

1LukeDuke

Well I have changed the oil to Mobile One and have had no CEL. One of the reasons for the Cam Sensor code to be thrown explained by FCA is oil problems. So I think the combo between oil galley bolts and oil choice could be the fix. Time will tell.

jmayps

Well I have changed the oil to Mobile One and have had no CEL. One of the reasons for the Cam Sensor code to be thrown explained by FCA is oil problems. So I think the combo between oil galley bolts and oil choice could be the fix. Time will tell.

Thanks for the response. Just sent the post and picture to the mechanic working on my Jeep. It’s in the shop getting a PR44 installed and a gear change at the moment. He’s gonna take a look and hopefully fix the issue. I’ll keep you posted.

Top Bottom