The oldest operating nuclear power plant in the US shut down for the last time today.

mstraw9379

Oyster Creek Nuclear Generating Station went offline for the last time today. The shutdown was 11 years early. Great place to work. Amazing people to work with. About 49 years of clean, reliable, safe power.

Goodbye, Oyster Creek. You will be missed.

mstraw9379

Fixed it for ya! :thumb:
:yup: Very true. I bought some small things for the Jeep from Jtops. A window storage thing, a shade top and a storage boot the the soft top. I will be putting a lift and bigger tires on it soon (if i can figure that out without killing myself. I also bought those recommended torque wrenches (hope I did that right so the site gets a little support).

mstraw9379

shut down due to fear of nuclear, or is that area investing in renewable?

Shut down due to environmentalists and political promises. The company was told they had to build cooling towers to meet new EPA regulations (to satisfy a political promise the governor made to get elected). The company said no and was going to shut down by the end of that year (2009). The NJ government wasn't prepared for their bluff to be called like that so they made a deal that had the plant closing 10 years early. The company made the decision this year that it wouldn't make economical sense to refuel this year for a 14 month run.

98XJ06LJ

Shut down due to environmentalists and political promises. The company was told they had to build cooling towers to meet new EPA regulations (to satisfy a political promise the governor made to get elected). The company said no and was going to shut down by the end of that year (2009). The NJ government wasn't prepared for their bluff to be called like that so they made a deal that had the plant closing 10 years early. The company made the decision this year that it wouldn't make economical sense to refuel this year for a 14 month run.
I'm glad they treated you right and that you were able to find another facility to continue your carrier.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King

I hate hearing stuff like this. The eco-terrorists continue to harm the world in the name of environmentalism.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
It took me to Berwick, PA. I now work at the Susquehanna Steam Electric Station. I left Oyster Creek about two months ago. Just sharing this small bit of history and the early demise of a perfectly good power plant.

Nuke plant back home where I’m from in central New York that is always controversy. They haven’t found a better solution but make it impossible for upgrades and repairs. It’s due to be completely closed sooner rather than later. My uncle just retired from there after 30+ years.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

bmkrinne

Thanks for the update on Oyster Creek and glad you found the new job! How’s that Nuclear Promise working out? I work at the Browns Ferry Nuclear Power Plant in north Alabama. We’re a few years into our 20 year life extension and talks of going to 80 years here. Seems the political climate is a little friendlier in the south.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom