Barret Lake Jeep Trail in California

drrags

I know Eddie has already created an awesome video of his Barret Lake run, but I figured I'd add a bit with some video taken on a gimbal. I'm reluctant to post because my editing skills suck so bad that I don't even try.

First, a couple of pics.
Found a campsite the night before.
IMG_1427-L.jpg

It's Hammer (I mean, hammock) time!
IMG_1429-L.jpg

IMG_1432-L.jpg

After the new bridge
IMG_1439-L.jpg

Gotta love the view!
IMG_1441-L.jpg

One of the more smooth sections of the trail. I'm not sure I ever got higher than 2nd gear in 4-low
IMG_1443-L.jpg

Being spotted on a rock garden. I recall not being locked. :rolleyes2:
(ok, looks like linking to a video in my smugmug account doesn't work the same as YouTube)
[video]https://drrags.smugmug.com/Jeep/Barret-Lake-Jeep-Trail/i-ZkKpccW/L[/video]

Dirty Rocks!
IMG_1445-L.jpg

Barret Lake!
IMG_1449-L.jpg

One guy didn't fare so well. The good thing about trees is that they stop you from rolling all the way down the hill :rock:
IMG_1452-L.jpg

Rocks and Boulders!
IMG_1453-L.jpg

Winch time!
IMG_1456-L.jpg

Casualty list: tie rod, drag link, front drive shaft, one gallon less fuel capacity due to nicely dented fuel tank skid, crushed exhaust pipe tip. And a dead winch after this.
IMG_1465-L.jpg

When the gate says it's a narrow trail, they mean it. Scraped roll bar from not climbing a boulder far enough away from a tree.
IMG_1467-L.jpg

The final casualty (so far)
IMG_1468-L.jpg

Here's a collection of clips showing what running a trail looks like through a GoPro Session mounted on an EVO SS gimbal, suction-cupped to my windshield. What I really like about it besides the steady footage, is that you don't lose perspective of being on an up or down hill. I have some old video of some scary hills and when people see them it's like: 'what's the big deal?" because it looks like level ground. I like the EVO over the other brands for one reason: the rechargeable batteries are replaceable. No need to go offline to charge when they run out. The gimbal battery life is about 3 times that of the GoPro battery life as it is.

drrags

Awesome! When did you run it? We ran it 9/9 in and 9/10 out. Really fun trail.

Saturday the 8th. The limited camping spots were full so we turned around and rode back out. It made for a full day. That's when the casualty list grew :cool:

dillard09

Oh man I bet that was a long day. We came in at around 11am on the 9th and meet a group of about 9 TJs and LJs at the gate. Then meet a few more on the trail. When we got to the lake we were the only ones there. So nice. Got to pick our camping spot and then chill and watch the sunset.
Looks like you now have a few things you can upgrade. That's one way to find the weak links.

drrags

Damn, I'm jealous. It was such an awesome camping place. I would have liked to stay (and start the return trip with a fresh brain).

drrags

Loving the EVO gimbal footage! I’ve never seen it. Can you explain how you attached to the Jeep?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ah, yes, that would be helpful :)

The default setting is to always point in the direction I'm going, but that can be over-ridden. It can always point in the same direction no matter what, or point back to me. Plus, there's a remote that I can manually steer it. I haven't used it yet though because its sense of direction is alway spot-on.
I can control the GoPro with my phone, too. In reality, that's too much stuff to do when I'm driving, so I tend to just turn everything on and let it go.

I use a 3-suction cup thing because 3 is more better than one. The only problem with 3 is that it's in the path of the windshield wiper. I will experiment with a 1 again. Or, mount it to the roof when I put the hard top back on.
2018091718255880-IMG_1498-XL.jpg

98XJ06LJ

The default setting is to always point in the direction I'm going, but that can be over-ridden. It can always point in the same direction no matter what, or point back to me. Plus, there's a remote that I can manually steer it. I haven't used it yet though because its sense of direction is alway spot-on.
I can control the GoPro with my phone, too. In reality, that's too much stuff to do when I'm driving, so I tend to just turn everything on and let it go.

I use a 3-suction cup thing because 3 is more better than one. The only problem with 3 is that it's in the path of the windshield wiper. I will experiment with a 1 again. Or, mount it to the roof when I put the hard top back on.
View attachment 310684
What if you mount it in the top center of the windshield with a single cup pointing down and two cups against the top seal of the windshield? Will that clear the wipers?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using WAYALIFE mobile app

That's great thanks!

Top Bottom