Mopar big brake kit

MDK210

Is this for JK? Does it include rotors? And what is the cost on the kit?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
Current Mopar BBK for JK includes 13-inch rotors, dual piston calipers, brake lines, heavy-duty pads for the front axle and a matching brake booster and master cylinder. Most kits run under $800 but are on back order 2-3 weeks most places including dealers. My dealer wants $600 to install if you’re curious about that as well.

Definitely the most complete kit on the market. I think people get too caught up in thinking bigger rotors and pads are all they need when in reality the dual piston/bigger piston is a huge factor IMO. Bigger rotors and pads are great but you need a bigger caliper to take advantage.

Last edited:

chad s

Current Mopar BBK for JK includes 13-inch rotors, dual piston calipers, brake lines, heavy-duty pads for the front axle and a matching brake booster and master cylinder. Most kits run under $800 but are on back order 2-3 weeks most places including dealers. My dealer wants $600 to install if you’re curious about that as well.

Definitely the most complete kit on the market. I think people get too caught up in thinking bigger rotors and pads are all they need when in reality the dual piston/bigger piston is a huge factor IMO. Bigger rotators and pads are great but you need a bigger caliper to take advantage.

Believe it or not my kit came in a week. My dealership wanted $900+ to install [emoji23]

werks

Just hoping everything will fit with the bead lock wheels 🤞

I'm running the same kit from Crown on the front on my JKU which is identical to the Mopar kit minus Master/Booster (so exact same Ram 1500 calipers, brackets and larger rotors) and it fits without any issues under my 17" ATX Slabs.

chad s

Well just found out the hard way the mopar kit is made for automatic transmission!! No where on mopars site does it say u need another part. When the instructions were taken out says in there IMG_5526.jpg

Ddays

Hooked
I think people get too caught up in thinking bigger rotors and pads are all they need when in reality the dual piston/bigger piston is a huge factor IMO. Bigger rotors and pads are great but you need a bigger caliper to take advantage.

Umm, not really. I'm not saying that bigger pistons and a new MC wouldn't make a difference, but for the guys out there running the Dynatrac kit that can simply bolt it on and use stock size pads to generate braking like this video shows with big ass 40" Mud Grapplers on 20" wheels, how much more do you need? :idontknow:

jorgelrod

Hooked
Umm, not really. I'm not saying that bigger pistons and a new MC wouldn't make a difference, but for the guys out there running the Dynatrac kit that can simply bolt it on and use stock size pads to generate braking like this video shows with big ass 40" Mud Grapplers on 20" wheels, how much more do you need? :idontknow:

Yep, I'm definitely going to upgrade to the Dynatrac Pro Grip when Tax season, I mean upgrade season rolls along...

trailraider

Well I don"t know about you, but when I have a really tight bolt I go for the shortest ratchet in my toolbox.... you know because it has better leverage when trying to break it free. screw long ratchets and snipes.

MDK210

While the Dynatrac kit is quality I'm sure, I feel the performance increase for the price is far too much. IMO the pricing comes from ease of install which is understandable but Dynatrac relies heavily on their proprietary brake pads. While bigger rotors and better brake pads are great things my mindset on brake systems comes from my motorcycle racing background. Granted it's a race bike not a Jeep but brakes are insanely important on them so you learn how even the smallest changes such as high temp brake fluid can reduce brake fade, etc. We never upgrade to bigger rotors on bikes, our primary focus is heat resistant materials on pads/rotors such as ceramic and increasing pressure to the rotor. Next would be calipers, master cylinder, stainless steel brake lines, and high temp fluids. Reducing heat/fade while creating more pressure is key to any brake system.

Pretend your index finger and thumb (single piston caliper) are squeezing together an egg now use your index, middle finger, and thumb (dual piston) caliper...which one will create more force to break the egg? It doesn't matter how big the rotor is if you can't squeeze it hard enough. On that same principle you can increase the egg/rotor size to create more leverage with the singe piston but ultimately you would want to do both. Consider all brake pads equal; Dynatrac uses bigger rotors, Teraflex uses bigger rotors/dual pistons, Mopar uses bigger rotors/dual pistons/MC/booster/brake lines. All these kits work but the Mopar kit is by far the most the most complete and its cheaper than the other kits. I would also like to see how Dynatracs system performs if you swap out the proprietary pads.

Don't take this as a bashing on any company but there are differences between them all.

we’ve switched from the Dynatrac pads on both of our Jeeps to Wagner pads and noticed no difference in brake performance. Only reason we switched was bc the Dynatrac pads put out tons of brake dust.

However, while we are very happy with the Dynatrac kit, if I had to do it again, I’d seriously consider the Mopar kit.

chad s

Only thing about mopar kit that’s pissing me off is they don’t make a separate kit for auto and manual. Also the brake hoses that are supplied are 2 short. Obviously if u are putting this kit on u have a larger tire so a lift is needed. I ended up paying a additional $155 for a part that wasn’t included in the kit IMG_5551.jpg

chad s

And I was told by another who installed the kit to just use a rear brake reservoir off a motorcycle. I had it at the shop so I just went factory part way

MDK210

Interesting to hear about the brake lines and the auto vs manual. Are the brake lines made out of the same material as stock?

werks

While the Dynatrac kit is quality I'm sure, I feel the performance increase for the price is far too much. IMO the pricing comes from ease of install which is understandable but Dynatrac relies heavily on their proprietary brake pads. While bigger rotors and better brake pads are great things my mindset on brake systems comes from my motorcycle racing background. Granted it's a race bike not a Jeep but brakes are insanely important on them so you learn how even the smallest changes such as high temp brake fluid can reduce brake fade, etc. We never upgrade to bigger rotors on bikes, our primary focus is heat resistant materials on pads/rotors such as ceramic and increasing pressure to the rotor. Next would be calipers, master cylinder, stainless steel brake lines, and high temp fluids. Reducing heat/fade while creating more pressure is key to any brake system.

Pretend your index finger and thumb (single piston caliper) are squeezing together an egg now use your index, middle finger, and thumb (dual piston) caliper...which one will create more force to break the egg? It doesn't matter how big the rotor is if you can't squeeze it hard enough. On that same principle you can increase the egg/rotor size to create more leverage with the singe piston but ultimately you would want to do both. Consider all brake pads equal; Dynatrac uses bigger rotors, Teraflex uses bigger rotors/dual pistons, Mopar uses bigger rotors/dual pistons/MC/booster/brake lines. All these kits work but the Mopar kit is by far the most the most complete and its cheaper than the other kits. I would also like to see how Dynatracs system performs if you swap out the proprietary pads.

Don't take this as a bashing on any company but there are differences between them all.

My other hobby is racing cars (used to do bikes back in my younger days too) so I'm right there with you when it comes to your thoughts on brakes and the importance of them. The one plus with cars versus bikes is that we have the option of easily increasing rotor size too which increase leverage. Same priciple used with the front Dynatrac kit (13.5") as well as the Mopar/Crown (13") kit which is why they both include oversized rotors. However the Mopar/Crown kit also includes a caliper upgrade with much larger dual piston calipers which use what a lot of people are also not factoring in, significantly larger brake pads (you can see that quite clearly in the first picture posted on this thread).

It's a misconception that going from a caliper using a very large single piston (like stock JK) to a caliper using a slightly smaller dual piston (like the Mopar/Crown kit) or even to a racing style caliper using 6 much smaller pistons (like for example what comes on a Vette) increase stopping power. The amount of pistons in a caliper does not affect that (greatly simplifying things) what a caliper with more pistons does do though is makes it possible to uniformly apply pressure across a much larger brake pad. So that allows a significantly increased brake pad size (and hence surface area) to be used in the caliper which does contribute to increased brake force while at the same time reducing the likely hood of pad taper (uneven wearing of the brake pad). In addition the larger brake pad surface area also means that you will see less brake pad wear (compared to the smaller OEM size pads), so your brake pads will also last longer too.

I run a Dynatrac axle and think that their products are great but when it comes down to bang for the buck imho you can not beat what you get with the Mopar or even more so at what I just checked on line that the $369 Crown RT31046 brake kit is going for. As far as the lack of master cylinder with the Crown kit is concerned keep in mind that when it comes to master the early model JK/JKU's used a smaller diameter master cylinder than the later models did. If memory serves me right the early models Jeeps have a 1" master and the later model (believe 2012+) have a 1 1/16" from the factory. I have a '15 with the larger master and my brakes are quite good so I have not yet felt the need to upgraded my master to the Mopar version which is I believe is 1 1/8" but will probably do so down the road just for the hell of it. If you have an earlier model JK/JKU with the smaller master you may find it necessary to change the master right away.

Top Bottom