Should I sell the TJ with or without a winch

sm31

Wasn't sure where to post this, so I thought I'd start with the TJ section...

I'm about to sell my beloved TJ because the family has outgrown it... even the dog (st bernard) won't fit in the back anymore. Fortunately, we recently purchased a JKUR. Wish I could keep them both but I just can't afford to.

As I prep it to sell, I'm wondering what to do about the winch. It's not particularly nice (6 year old Engo) but it works reliably, and I even put a wireless controller on it. My thought is to just transfer it over to my new jeep but I'm wondering which makes more sense financially. I wonder if I can "get more out of the deal" if I sell it with the TJ, or would it just make the TJ easier to sell (also desirable).

What I'd love to do is sell it with the TJ and purchase a Warn (much higher quality for sure) but that's a little hard to justify to my spouse... selling what has been a very reliable winch to buy another substantially more expensive winch. Is there something else I haven't considered?

Thanks in advance for the advice!!

Shadowfire

Sell it with, it adds value. It may crap out in a month or 6 more years who knows but the potential buyer would see it as already installed and working so plus. Buffer a little in the price to get a new one, tell your wife you sold old trusty and some of the money for the sale needs to go towards a new one. Good luck

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

loonies

Good question, I don’t have an answer for you, but I have been pondering the same thing about the Warn M8000 on my 2010 JKUR.

I would love to yank it off before I trade up to a JL.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Judesign

Caught the Bug
I was in that position. Sold a 2 door to go to a heavier 4 door. Sold the 8000 with it to move to a 10,000 lb. in my opinion it’s a good opportunity to move up in weight and quality.

mcdesigner

I had a Warn HS9500i that I removed before selling my TJ. I intended to move it over to my JK but in the end it did not fit my new bumper. I sold it for $475 on Craigslist. I doubt that I would have got more for the TJ if I included the winch.

fiend

Caught the Bug
I suggest you leave he winch on the TJ. I think it will be attractive to potential buyers. Lots of people want a TJ because they think it’s a cool Jeep Wrangler with the whole off-road, rugged image that comes with it. Even if they will never use the winch, they will think it makes the Jeep more badass and therefore more desirable. Sell the TJ with the winch and then get a newer, higher capacity winch for your new Jeep.

sm31

Thank you for the great advice!! It is an 8000 lb winch and I had not considered the fact that my JKUR is quite a bit heavier.

That said, y'all have also convinced me that an old Engo winch won't increase the value of my TJ, and probably won't help the sale either way except to move it more quickly due to the "cool" factor. ;)

I believe I'll just sell the TJ with the winch, then do the responsible thing and invest in quality new recovery gear as I can.

Thanks again!

Gbint

My buddy stripped his Jeep to sell separately. Buyer who bought his Jeep for full pop, purchased all the other stuff and paid him to install. Double bonus!

sm31

My buddy stripped his Jeep to sell separately. Buyer who bought his Jeep for full pop, purchased all the other stuff and paid him to install. Double bonus!

Hah!! That's a great idea!

"By the way, I've got this old winch I was thinking of selling..." :D

sm31

Late update: Listed the TJ (with winch) on Craigslist and it sold in 5 days with a full price offer ($11k). Doh! Should have marked it higher...

Top Bottom