Ever lose a wheel.

Yep I got my brand spankin new SLABS with my 37's on them and I was just about due to retorque them BUT we had to quick run out to watch the flyover at the Packers game so as I am driving I feel as if the sway bar is disconnected. I even got out to shake the front axle thinking its the unit bearing. Went another 3 miles at about 25 mph she came apart. I was fortunate to be able to only drive 10 feet to a turn off where the high lift saved my ass. In 90 degree heat this big boy was a sweating. Looks as if I did nothing to my 37" Cooper STT' BUT I did scrape the inside of the slab and pretty much trashed out the studs. I lost all the balancing weights too. So tomorrow I will be doing some work on the Jeep.

BTW this is the second time it happened to me on the same axle. I had Level 8 strike 5 wheels and 315 duratracs last year almost to the day and I did the same thing after wheeling hard and using my locker. We did find all lugs last year, lost 2 this time. Not sure if I had stretched threads or if its inherent to the drivers rear. I know I probably should have retorqued sooner (obviously) but all other lugs are tight all around.

Anyone lose a wheel? Share my pain!.

Been there a few times and learned some lessons

Lesson one. Torque like 10 lbs higher then ‘spec’

Lesson two. REtorque after 30 to 50ish miles.

Lesson three. Check torque at service intervals.

Lesson four. If your aftermarket wheels are thicker than your oe wheels install longer studs to compensate for the difference.

IMG_4847.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Almost lost my driver side rear cruising along the interstate after swapping to aftermarket tires/wheels. Limped home and started crawling around and nothing visually seemed wrong. Started jacking up each corner and when we got to that wheel it was all kinds of loose. Turned out that the one hole was maybe about 1/16” or less from actually being centered around the stud so even tho everything was torqued it didn’t matter. Could see a slight imprint left around the stud where the wheel wasn’t seated correctly. Now I’m OCD about it... scared the crap outta me. Does anyone know of lug hangers that would assist in guiding them on? I came across them randomly but seemed to mostly be for German imports. I even thought of loosely wrapping a pipe cleaner around the thread to act as a guide..

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
I lost a right front wheel the day that I bought my first jeep doing about 70 on the freeway. Shitty thing is the "asshole" that sold me the jeep was my dad [emoji23].

Other than that I never have, but A friend did have his tire pass him on the trail because he forgot to torque his spacers but did torque his wheel lugs.

TheGrendel

not on my Jeep. but, i almost lost a wheel on my truck in college. can't remember what i was doing. but, i had removed my front passenger wheel to check something. well, i did a terrible job of retorquing the lug nuts. fortunately, i was going slow and about to pull into a parking lot anyway. wheel stayed on but just barely.

Sheaffadelic

Caught the Bug
If anyone has the chance to wrench with Cozdude....... DOUBLE CHECK HIS TORQUING!!! he tut my wheels back on and one fell off going down the highway. That was a fun day :cheesy:

Brute

Hooked
So, this guy was driving his Jeep when his rear driver tire falls off...he comes to a stop in front of the state mental hospital. He gets out of the Jeep, grabs the tire and proceeds to put it back on. He then discovers that all of his lug nuts are missing. Perplexed as to what to do next, he hears a voice coming from a window of the mental hospital..."hey bud, just take one lug nut off each other tire so you can drive it to the service station". The guy says "that's a great idea...you seem like a smart guy, why are you a patient here?...to which he replies "I may be crazy, but I ain't stupid"...

rogerk93

So, this guy was driving his Jeep when his rear driver tire falls off...he comes to a stop in front of the state mental hospital. He gets out of the Jeep, grabs the tire and proceeds to put it back on. He then discovers that all of his lug nuts are missing. Perplexed as to what to do next, he hears a voice coming from a window of the mental hospital..."hey bud, just take one lug nut off each other tire so you can drive it to the service station". The guy says "that's a great idea...you seem like a smart guy, why are you a patient here?...to which he replies "I may be crazy, but I ain't stupid"...

Lmao that’s great!

Top Bottom