Neverending tire debate

JKEmmy

Hey everyone, I'm going to be in the market for new tires soon. Pretty big fan of my duratracs. But I'm open to opinions! Looking for a cool tire of course like us all but I'd like it to perform on and off road. Gonna be doing a bunch of Moab in April. No one likes noisey either.... Post some pics! Excuse to see cool Jeep's haha.
6jheu_dw-01.jpg

Attachments

• v_2YbztQ-01.jpg
    v_2YbztQ-01.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 334
I love my Nitto Ridge Grapplers (33x12.5 @ ~34 psi). Quieter than what it came off the lot with whether it’s pavement or concrete. Haven’t had any issues off pavement with them and the instructor at Rausch when I did the 101 class had fun trying to kick on the traction control. My one and only issue is they seem a bit slick on wet roads when accelerating from a full stop, but I’m not sure this is a specific tire issue or just the increased surface area (first time on something this size).

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
A never ending debate for sure. I put Nitto trail Graps on and they were great on the trail here in Colorado and Moab but left a lot to be desired on snow and ice. The other shoe dropped at about 20k miles. Highway noise continually increased ‘til I got complaints from passengers (wife) at 35k. Time for all-terrains? I was initially very interested in Falken’s first gen A/T’s but they didn’t seem to perform very well at the 2011 JKX in Colorado. So, to make a long story longer, I took a flyer on Falken’s 3rd gen Wildpeak A/T’s. They’ve been on a little over 16k, and I’ve hit trails in Colorado and a pilgrimage back to Moab. A/T’s are a compromise but they keep getting better. For me the Falken’s have greatly improved snow and ice and highway performance. I’m sure there is a drop off on the trail, but they’ve taken me everywhere I wanted to go from easy to the easier difficult rated (oxymoron alert) trails in Moab. There are so many really great A/T’s out there it’s truly a personal decision. Kinda hard to go wrong. I’m a Nitto fanboy and the Ridge Graps would probably have been on my JK if I could have gotten my stocker size in the short timeframe I needed them. Even so, I’m happy with the Falken’s. Good luck!
Edit: I liked the Falken’s enough to put them on my ‘92 MJ.

Last edited:

Jsouder53

Hooked
I love my Mickey Thompson ATZ P3s. Never had an issue with traction on any surface.. I’m really excited how they do this winter in the snow and on ice! They are quiet as well [emoji106]

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey everyone, I'm going to be in the market for new tires soon. Pretty big fan of my duratracs. But I'm open to opinions! Looking for a cool tire of course like us all but I'd like it to perform on and off road. Gonna be doing a bunch of Moab in April. No one likes noisey either.... Post some pics! Excuse to see cool Jeep's haha.

Duratrac is a good tire and if you're liking it, I might just stick with it.

ob_tj

The duratracs are good. Have you looked into the BFG AT2? I have had them in my TJ and they have preformed very well. From Snow, sand, and on the rocks. They also wear like iron on the road!

JKEmmy

Haha sounds like it's all over the road. Not one tire sticks out I guess. I might stick with the duratracs. I love the Kevlar wall and they perform great. They also look tough which is important lol.

jorgelrod

Hooked
Just curious.... whats making you want Ridge Grapplers?

Well, in all honesty, as much as I love the look of MT's I've realized I do maybe 3 or 4 wheeling trips in the year and spend the rest as a daily driver, so a tire that is less noisy with better road manners is starting to appeal to me. I've also seen the JKX Alaska video where Mel wheeled the shit out of his rig on Ridge Grapplers and did just fine as well as tons of videos of people in Moab with KO2's and other aggressive style AT tires doing just fine. I think the Nitto RG closes the gap fairly close between AT and MT and if I do find myself where the RG are not enough, then I'll break out the Warn, after all that's what I bought it for.

TOPLESS

Caught the Bug
MudVayne on here has the Nitto RG on his ride. He seems to like them. May want to find his build thread. He has a Anvil colored Jeep.

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug
MudVayne on here has the Nitto RG on his ride. He seems to like them. May want to find his build thread. He has a Anvil colored Jeep.

I had the ridge grapplers on my 2012 JK. They wore great, and they were incredibly quiet for how aggressive they looked. I had no real complaints about them at all. I went with Cooper's this time because I wanted a more aggressive tire for wheeling and all the great reviews they're getting here. Couldn't be happier with the Cooper's but the RGs definitely have their upside.

dillard09

I have the 37" Ridge Grappler on my truck and I really like them. I drive alot of miles on the highway and they are really quite. I have about 22k on them and still have lots of tread left. Plus they look pretty aggressive because of the sidewall.

Top Bottom