Fenders: To cut or not to cut??

Lojo

Was wondering what folks think?? I have color matched fenders and am reluctant due to chipping paint. Also can’t decide on a shape or what mods need to happen underneath to make it all come together I.e. function and looks. Any advice is appreciated!!! Also recommendations on after market. I do like MCE but I know there are lots out there. So tell me what you all have or have done and why you like it?? Thanks a bunch in advance!!!

J

JKDream

Was wondering what folks think?? I have color matched fenders and am reluctant due to chipping paint. Also can’t decide on a shape or what mods need to happen underneath to make it all come together I.e. function and looks. Any advice in appreciated!!! Also recommendations on after market. I do like MCE but I know there are lots out there. So tell me what you all have or have done and why you like it?? Thanks a bunch in advance!!!
I have painted fenders and no issues chipping when cutting. I used a zip disk.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

fiend

Caught the Bug
I didn’t care for the cut stock look. It’s free, but it always looked kinda half assed to me. Lots of people do it though. Really just a personal decision. I went with the MCEs cuz I wanted plastic. They are nice.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Was wondering what folks think?? I have color matched fenders and am reluctant due to chipping paint. Also can’t decide on a shape or what mods need to happen underneath to make it all come together I.e. function and looks. Any advice is appreciated!!! Also recommendations on after market. I do like MCE but I know there are lots out there. So tell me what you all have or have done and why you like it?? Thanks a bunch in advance!!!

Trail JK and heyitsray did a great job of trimming their factory flares. Looks totally factory.

attachment.php

sph801

I’m in the camp of not liking the look of cut flares but totally an individual opinion. I have the Bushwacker flat flares and love the look.

IMG_0821.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is the question.

I never wanted to cut my fenders because I have seen so many that have been cut too much and I don't personally like that look. I like the stock look. However when I put 37's on, modifications were necessary.

I had chosen wheels and tires to minimize the amount of stick out of the tires. 4.5" backspace, 12.5" wide tires instead of 13.5". For the most part at full stuff the tire would still fit inside the fender well. Most of the rubbing was on the rear, so I started there.

Pinch seams were removed first, then the inner fender, then some trimming of the bumper. After that there was still a bit of rubbing, but only where the tire touched the inside lip of the fender. So I decided to do as little cutting as possible. At the same time, I hated that the fenders are only attached with a few plastic clips that were very loose allowing the fender to move. I cut just the inside edge of the fender and maybe just 1/4" up the side. I used fine blade in the jigsaw and then did a bit of sanding to cleanup the edge. Stainless steel screws now hold the fenders on tight with no movement and the fender wells are painted with some black poly undercoat. The front doesn't need any trim so far.

If you aren't looking for it specifically, you would never know that they were cut.

Granted, my fenders are not painted so it's a little different. But with care and a bit of experimentation you may not have any problem with chipping. My recommendation is to start with the free modification and if you don't like the results, then get new fenders with more clearance.

2016-11-07 10.30.24.jpg
2016-11-08 13.46.48.jpg
2016-11-08 13.46.19.jpg

Last edited:

Lojo

Thanks for all the feedback!! They all look great!! I think I’m going to go for it and cut them!!

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug
IMG_2720.JPG IMG_2064.JPG
I just used the blue painters tape and cut most of it with a jigsaw. Used a finishing sander to smooth them up a little. Zero paint chipping. That was done about 2.5 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom