Rims

Hi

Started to look at rims and it is a jungle for me.

I´ve cooper st maxx with dimensions 275/70/18 and that is something like 33,16 inch advertized.

They work great and I have had them for 3 seasons now. The only problem is a small rubbing against the swaybar when turning at full and also a little little bit more when turning to the right compared to turning left. I have a ome 2 inch lift and no bumpstops.

Now, those tires will eventually be changed because of wear and I have alredy started to look for new ones. I would like to have a 255/75/18 or even a 255/80/18 tire but those size seems hard to find. All tires are so wide nowdays and I dont understand why.

Been looking on cooper and bf goodrich tires.

Anyway, 275/70/18 both cooper and bf goodrich have but then this small rubbing against the swaybar will still be there ( not a big problem to be honest, only a minor rubbing)

so was looking for some other rims with less backspacing. And now I´m lost. It seems that most aftermarket rims have 4,5 inch of backspacing and that would of course take care of the rubbing issue but most of those rims is also wider like 8 or 9 inch compared to stock 7,5 inch.

My guess is that the rims with a backspacing of 4,5 inch and also wider like 8 or 9 inch will put out the tires vey much outside the fenders. Not legal here in bullshit Sweden and also all sort of shit will spray the side windows.

I could also choose a 265/70/18 tire but that is only a 32 inch tire and proberly it will not be any difference in off road capabilities what so ever but I feel it might start to be looking a bit small in the wheel wells. I know it is only 1 inch smaller but I think it will not look as good as the 33" I have now.

Anyone who can give some advice for rims and tires? I´m not interested of going bigger then 33 inch"

Last edited:

MDK210

Tires can fit a range of rim widths if you look at the manufacturers specs, it will say 9-11 width rims or similar. Sounds like you only have 3 options;

1. Find out the legal limit of backspacing so you can run new wheels
2. Get a different size 33” tire that’s not as wide. There’s a few different sizes that can equate to 33” I believe.
3. Get a true 32” tire. BFG run small so they’ll be 31.5” and 32.5” respectively but if you can get a true 32” tire or close then losing .5” by running a BFG isn’t a big deal.

In all honestly if you aren’t going to run at least 35” tires and can’t legally run 4.5-4.75” backspacing then rims are a waste of my money if you like the OEM style. Debating a 32” or 33” tire is like debating whether you want Vanilla or Vanilla Bean ice cream, it’s all the same and I doubt anyone will care but you.

sph801

You can try a couple washers on each steering stop to stop the rubbing when turning. Then you can buy the same size tire you have now if you’re happy with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tires can fit a range of rim widths if you look at the manufacturers specs, it will say 9-11 width rims or similar. Sounds like you only have 3 options;

1. Find out the legal limit of backspacing so you can run new wheels
2. Get a different size 33” tire that’s not as wide. There’s a few different sizes that can equate to 33” I believe.
3. Get a true 32” tire. BFG run small so they’ll be 31.5” and 32.5” respectively but if you can get a true 32” tire or close then losing .5” by running a BFG isn’t a big deal.

In all honestly if you aren’t going to run at least 35” tires and can’t legally run 4.5-4.75” backspacing then rims are a waste of my money if you like the OEM style. Debating a 32” or 33” tire is like debating whether you want Vanilla or Vanilla Bean ice cream, it’s all the same and I doubt anyone will care but you.

I agreed, new rims to fit a 33" tire is a waste of money.

But it seems hard to find a narrow and still a "tall" tire ( like 84 centimeters that my cooper st maxx is ) on a 18 inch rim like my oem sahara rims.

Is the bf goodrich ko2 smaller than cooper tires? I saw that also bf goodrich ko2 is produced in 275/70/18 as my current cooper st maxx.

I think I will just buy new 275/70/18 tires and be good. I have been very happy with my cooper tires but would like to test something new so maybee I will go for the ko2 tires.

You can try a couple washers on each steering stop to stop the rubbing when turning. Then you can buy the same size tire you have now if you’re happy with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Already done that but maybee I should put on one or two more washers. Can not do any harm I guess.

Top Bottom