How to Fix a Slow Leak

Jsouder53

Hooked
I’ve been noticing lately that my rear passenger has been slowly leaking. I checked for any nails or punctures but found nothing... Until I just washed my Jeep today and saw the leak, it’s some debris wedged between my wheel and tire. It started bubbling when some soapy water hit it. Luckily I’ve only been losing 1 psi every few days, so it hasn’t been that great of a deal. I know the main fix would be to get some beadlocks lol but that will be once we get financially stable since we just moved cross country.

Would the answer be to take the wheel, deflate it quite a bit and scrape out the debris?

Here are a couple pictures:
Image1537741623.250939.jpg
Image1537741638.700315.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked
Yeah, you can start there. Drop it to 3-5 psi at the most. I was able to get some wood chunks out that way. If that doesn’t get it out, you may need to swing by a tire shop and have them do it.

GTJeeper

I had this happen last year. I couldn’t get it out on my own so I went to les Schwab, they dismounted and remounted the tire in about 15 mins and it was free. Tough the beat that kind of a deal.

Jsouder53

Hooked
Dismount and remount.

Yeah, you can start there. Drop it to 3-5 psi at the most. I was able to get some wood chunks out that way. If that doesn’t get it out, you may need to swing by a tire shop and have them do it.

I had this happen last year. I couldn’t get it out on my own so I went to les Schwab, they dismounted and remounted the tire in about 15 mins and it was free. Tough the beat that kind of a deal.

Thanks for the pointers, I’ll be doing a tire rotation this week anyways, so I’ll give it a try myself. If that doesn’t work, tire shop it is [emoji106]

Jsouder53

Hooked
I think I fixed it! Didn’t even have to take the tire off the Jeep.

1) I put the jack under it to take the pressure off the tire

2) Aired down to maybe 2 psi, couldn’t even get much a reading on the gauge

3) Took the tiniest pry bar that I have and pried between the wheel and tire near the debris

4) Took a pair of needle nose pliers and straight screw driver. Plucked and scraped out the debris best I could

5) Aired back up

Sorry I didn’t think to take pictures till I was all cleaned up.

jesse3638

Hooked
I think I fixed it! Didn’t even have to take the tire off the Jeep.

1) I put the jack under it to take the pressure off the tire

2) Aired down to maybe 2 psi, couldn’t even get much a reading on the gauge

3) Took the tiniest pry bar that I have and pried between the wheel and tire near the debris

4) Took a pair of needle nose pliers and straight screw driver. Plucked and scraped out the debris best I could

5) Aired back up

Sorry I didn’t think to take pictures till I was all cleaned up.
Well if Eddie can completely remove a lift kit to re-film it when the original footage was lost, surly you can reenact your fix for some still pics..haha.

Glad you got it fixed. Reminds me of a time when a brush patrol (F-550) managed to get a chunk of wood wedged between the duals. I have a trick to pull stuff out of duals but the was sharp and would have most likely punctured the side wall. We had to remove the wheel to get it out.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jsouder53

Hooked
Well if Eddie can completely remove a lift kit to re-film it when the original footage was lost, surly you can reenact your fix for some still pics..haha.

Glad you got it fixed. Reminds me of a time when a brush patrol (F-550) managed to get a chunk of wood wedged between the duals. I have a trick to pull stuff out of duals but the was sharp and would have most likely punctured the side wall. We had to remove the wheel to get it out.

Hahaha I guess I’m just not as dedicated since that won’t be happening [emoji23] I’ll just remember to take pictures next time it happens, which I’m sure it will until I get some beadlocks lol

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug

I see a lot of sharp rocks stuck between duals. I always wrap a chain around the rock and either tie off to something close or run the chain under the tire in front and back over it.

jesse3638

Hooked
I see a lot of sharp rocks stuck between duals. I always wrap a chain around the rock and either tie off to something close or run the chain under the tire in front and back over it.

Yep I've done both. Much easier than trying to beat it pry it out. Especially on a pair of 11R22.5's. 1 ton pickups you can pull the tires a lot easier.

Top Bottom