gear oil

seanb123

so I'm planning on changing the gear oil today but wondering should i pay extra for mopar or just grab the cheaper stuff at the local store? Whats added that makes mopars more expensive, is it necessary?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, you'll be more than fine with just the cheap dino gear oil that you can get at any autoparts store. If you have a limited slip differential, pay the extra cash to get synthetic fluid as it will come with friction modifier, something that is NEEDED to make it work.

xflstl

so I'm planning on changing the gear oil today but wondering should i pay extra for mopar or just grab the cheaper stuff at the local store? Whats added that makes mopars more expensive, is it necessary?

Whats added is the special bottle that has the mopar logo on it....

seanb123

Honestly, you'll be more than fine with just the cheap dino gear oil that you can get at any autoparts store. If you have a limited slip differential, pay the extra cash to get synthetic fluid as it will come with friction modifier, something that is NEEDED to make it work.

thanks eddy and ive been confused about this before, the wranglers didnt come with the limited slip right just the electronic break lock diff?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
thanks eddy and ive been confused about this before, the wranglers didnt come with the limited slip right just the electronic break lock diff?

Actually, some Sports and Saharas did come with LSD and you can still order them with one in the rear. Rubicons only come with lockers.

Gibbo

Gear oil

I just changed mine yesterday after 500 miles running new gears. I used Australian made Nulon full synthetic 80-140, it was $95.00 for 4 litres. I don't know how that compares with the Mopar oil though:)

Top Bottom