Weird noises from my JKU

longarmwj

So I may or may not have driven the JK a little bit too hard at JeepFest. Specifically beating it on one particular course that was mostly large rocks.

Thought I got away unscathed but appears that I am wrong. I know I bounced my Jeep a couple of times and slammed down quite hard in multiple places, and now I have two different noises that I can not pin point.

Noise 1: Front end noise. I only hear it when I am stopped at a light or stop sign and start to move. Sounds like a popping or creaking noise and only lasts a few seconds. I have crawled under the jeep and jiggled shit around and stood outside beside it while my brother takes off and I can't pinpoint where it is coming from or visibly see anything moving around/binding/popping. I want to say it's coming from steering, but I cant replicate the noise and everything checks out okay, and the Jeep drives perfectly fine..

Noise 2: This noise almost sounds like gear whine, but I know it's not because my WJ had that and it was constant. This only happens between 40-50 MPH and will not happen at any other speed. It is for sure coming from the rear, sounds like drivers side. Very faint grind/whistle noise. Axle bearing? Bent flange?

Any insight would be helpful because I want to remedy both of these before a very large local club ride in December.

Bierpower

Hooked
Noise 1: I would start with grabbing the front bumper and bouncing the suspension to see if you can get it to make the noise. If it does, you narrowed you search to suspension. If not, I would probably start with checking the brakes.

Noise 2: the only thing that would make a harmonic noise would be bearings, brakes, driveshaft or speed sensors. Maybe set it on jack stands and see if the noise goes away. Wheel bearing with no load on them will be significantly quieter.
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

longarmwj

Noise 1: I would start with grabbing the front bumper and bouncing the suspension to see if you can get it to make the noise. If it does, you narrowed you search to suspension. If not, I would probably start with checking the brakes.

Noise 2: the only thing that would make a harmonic noise would be bearings, brakes, driveshaft or speed sensors. Maybe set it on jack stands and see if the noise goes away. Wheel bearing with no load on them will be significantly quieter.
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks! Haven't thought about testing for the suspension itself. I'll do that tonight when I get home from work and see if I can replicate it.

Ddays

Hooked
You can pretty much rule out a bent flange unless you have a constant *chirp*chirp*chirp* at low speeds. At higher speeds you really don't hear that noise. Probably wouldn't hurt to check the torque on all of the nuts. Also look to see if anything is obviously bent.

Last edited:
(number 1) Not sure if this helps or not but I've had a noise at slow speeds for the last year. Doesn't do it all the time but almost always while making a turn at a stop sign. I found out it was the heim joint on my front track bar. Replaced that joint and the sound is now gone. Good luck finding the noise.

longarmwj

Maybe I’m just just not very observant but I don’t ever recall my Rock Krawler Track Bar looking like this. I always remember it being straight, not crooked like that.
55951855153__4D0324FD-05A8-4183-8DAF-B73A243D6E4F.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

longarmwj

It's all good, you just gave it a bit of flex time. So long as it isn't loose or moving at the joint you're good.

Sweet good to know. You’d think with all the suspensions I’ve installed (2 on my WJ, 1 on a friends WJ, 2 on my JKU, 1 on my old KJ, one on another friends JKU, 1 on a TJ...ugh) id be more observant of heim joints doing heim joint things 🤷🏻*♂️🤷🏻*♂️

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

longarmwj

So....I know almost nothing about steering aside from the fact that it makes your Jeep go left and it makes your Jeep go right :cheesy:

What are the symptoms of a busted steering box? I seriously think that may be my problem and here is why.

After Jeepfest it felt like my power steering was going out. Super firm, pump screaming at wide open throttle, etc. All the tale tale signs of power steering pump woes. A couple of days later, it started acting totally normal again. That is when this noise started, and yesterday and today the steering has felt incredibly loose, almost like it isn't attached, yet could still steer, but every now and then it will get super firm and feel like it is fighting back when I am turning one way or another.

After consulting a few more knowledgeable friends of mine, they seemed to think it could be the steering box that is shot. Thoughts?

fiend

Caught the Bug
I would check all your front control arm mount brackets and your front track bar bracket. Look for cracks and breaks.

EDIT: check frame side front track bar mount too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom