JK Fires

Rubicon310

For those of you who are more experienced with owning jeeps, what’s the most common reason why Jk’s catch on fire?

In the past month, I’ve seen two JK’s burn to the ground on social media. What’s the reason behind it? I hear “ it’s a Jeep thing” ?? I can’t imagine this is normal?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Turbo21

Earlier this year my 2012 Sahara caught fire and was totaled after being parked for almost 2 hours. Insurance company did a full investigation and found the fire started in the fuse/relay panel under the hood. They couldn’t give a reason so listed as undetermined. They did say that none of the aftermarket accessories. Winch lights etc.. contributed to the fire

We had another Jku in our jeep club burn to the ground the week after ours. Same result

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Transmission puking out ATF on the exhaust manifold or cats is one. Electrical is the other - more times than not, something like a winch line that chaffed through the insulator and grounds out. Seen both cause a fire but fortunately, we were able to put them out.

TrailHunter

Hooked
If a JK burns to the ground for unknown reasons... will Jeep put you in a JL as a courtesy? ..... Asking for a friend. [emoji41]

Turbo21

If a JK burns to the ground for unknown reasons... will Jeep put you in a JL as a courtesy? ..... Asking for a friend. [emoji41]

No lol. But 48 hrs later I got the chance to upgrade into a 2015 rubicon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rubicon310

Transmission puking out ATF on the exhaust manifold or cats is one. Electrical is the other - more times than not, something like a winch line that chaffed through the insulator and grounds out. Seen both cause a fire but fortunately, we were able to put them out.

Very interesting! I could understand the winch line but the atf is interesting. I’ll research that some more.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I wouldn’t call it a JK, “thing.” My Mom’s Mazda caught on fire, and I’ve seen two late model Tundras burning on the side of the highway. Anything that has a spark & fuel, can burn.

fiend

Caught the Bug
I wouldn’t call it a JK, “thing.” My Mom’s Mazda caught on fire, and I’ve seen two late model Tundras burning on the side of the highway. Anything that has a spark & fuel, can burn.

Boats for sure. I’ve seen at least 3 boats burn to the water. And I’m not even a boat guy.

WJCO

Meme King
I think he did it for attention and clicks to his site. If my rig burned down I’d be distraught. He didn’t even seem to care, even made mention of having to go get another. Just my opinion.

Agreed. I saw this pop up on youtube a few days ago and barely watched any of it. Something just didn't seem right about it.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Agreed. I saw this pop up on youtube a few days ago and barely watched any of it. Something just didn't seem right about it.

I saw it too a few days ago.... and immediately thought a couple things. First he seemed totally calm and second, who takes the time to set up a camera while trying to stop/prevent a fire?? I’d be focused on one thing.... and Cussing A LOT! Kinda weird... maybe he’s just Cool like the Fonz.

BaddestCross

I saw it too a few days ago.... and immediately thought a couple things. First he seemed totally calm and second, who takes the time to set up a camera while trying to stop/prevent a fire?? I’d be focused on one thing.... and Cussing A LOT! Kinda weird... maybe he’s just Cool like the Fonz.
He's a prepper... Ready for anything.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Funny how social media has a way of hyping things up and making a rule out of an exception. There are over 2-million JK's out on the road today - the odds of a couple catching on fire is about as probably as it is on any vehicle, just as you've pointed out.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I think he did it for attention and clicks to his site. If my rig burned down I’d be distraught. He didn’t even seem to care, even made mention of having to go get another. Just my opinion.

I think there are more than a few of us who think the same way.

A.J.

I think there are more than a few of us who think the same way.

As soon as I saw the Gofundme reference I was out. Looked almost staged to me. Seems like everyone tries to get paid for their misfortunes anymore. I don’t know. Just tired of all the feel sorry for me and send $ campaigns these days.

JKRicky

I have to agree that this isn’t some epidemic of Jeeps catching fire. Millions of them out there.

Here’s a pic of my buddies winch cables that had been rubbing up against his power steering pump pulley. Was very very lucky. We caught it due too seeing the sparks.

IMG_2315.jpg

Top Bottom