Hello from Dallas! Need advice on buying a JKUR sight unseen

emkayd

Hello Everyone!
New to the forum! But I've been reading and watching Wayalife videos on YouTube for years now!

I'm a former 99 TJ owner but unfortunately had to sell it a year ago. I'm hoping to pick up a used JKUR (6MT) at some point in the next few months. I've been looking at several around the country and have found one with 51K miles in OH. But this is a Canadian Spec vehicle, so has some rust underneath.

Would you guys be kind enough to look at the pics I've attached here to see if it's still OK to buy this vehicle? Dealer says it's just surface rust.

Appreciate any input/opinions you may have. Thank you very much!! :thankyou::thankyou::thankyou:

1.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 5.jpg 4.jpg 2.jpg

Last edited:
I would never ever buy a Jeep unseen. Pictures are helpful but never the whole story. Rust looks minimal but doesn’t mean it is. Also missing the test drive portion of buying.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
That's pretty typical Midwest/Northeast rust. Pretty nice eh? :brows: It's ugly but that part wouldn't scare me away as we're all used to this shit. What would is not taking it for a test drive before buying. Is there really a shortage of Jeeps in your neck of the woods that you have to go that far?

Never heard of it but is there a "Certified Jeep Program" or some such? At least with something like that the dealer is stating that the vehicle has been thoroughly checked and he's stating so. Still, I have only so much faith in the words spoken by a car salesman and I'm really good friends with one.

emkayd

Thank you Snboarder113 and Ddays! Appreciate the opinions!

Yup, agreed on the buying sight unseen part. The biggest reason for considering this JKUR is the price. They're asking for $25K for this 2012 with 51K miles on it (with a hardtop). Similar JKURs in the DFW area are at least $3K more. I could probably have them knock off another $500 off the price because they've been sitting on this since March.

It's definitely a hike to this dealership since the closest airport is about 90 mins by road (Columbus, OH).

Andy5160

Hooked
If you in Dallas I am puzzled why buy on the east coast. As Ddays states it is typical for our neck of the woods and can be easily maintain with some good beer and hand of a good friend [emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

bmkrinne

I live in Alabama and that kind of Rust is not typical of the southern Jeeps. But the 2012’s had some issues with the Dana coatings so you see a lot of rusted knuckles, diff housings,etc especially on the front of the Jeep. I’ve got a ‘12 JKUR with this problem. You could sand down, use a Rust reformer and repaint with a little time and elbow grease, so not that big of a concern. But taking that Jeep back to Texas and trying to resell down the road may be tough.

As previously mentioned, I absolutely would not purchase with a test drive. Sometimes saving money isn’t really saving money.....

emkayd

Thanks bmkrinne and Andy5160.

Andy5160 -- primary reason is price, despite the trouble of getting it shipped.

bmkrinne -- sound advice there. Appreciate it.

Sounds like I'll pass on this JKUR and look for someting local or at least closeby so I could take it for a spin.

Thanks everyone for chiming in!

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
The shocks are shiny so buy it!! All kidding aside I don’t see anything of concern in the pics but agree with others in regards to not buying unseen. If it’s a great deal fly up and take a look and drive. I’ve bought stuff out of state before (not as far as you’re talking) but always went knowing the possibility is there to come home empty handed.

emkayd

Hi Speedy_RCW! Thanks for that.

I decided not to pursue this JKUR because it's just too much work to get there, inspect, buy, drive-back or ship it back. Work travel's pretty taxing at the moment and kinda hard to pull this off.

You can find hundreds of low mileage JKs for a decent price around here now that the JLs are out. I would skip out on that one. The folks around here are very willing to help you wrench on your Jeep to get it where you want it.

Thanks bmkrinne and Andy5160.

Andy5160 -- primary reason is price, despite the trouble of getting it shipped.

bmkrinne -- sound advice there. Appreciate it.

Sounds like I'll pass on this JKUR and look for someting local or at least closeby so I could take it for a spin.

Thanks everyone for chiming in!

emkayd

Ha! For 13K I'd pick it up and replace the frame! Probably not, but just saying. ;)

They're asking for $24,999 BTW. I thought it was a great price for a 2012 JKUR with 51K miles. Decided not to buy it because of work and time involved in getting it home (about 1200 miles from where I live).

Here's a link to the vehicle, if anyone close by is interested in buying it - https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/730744401/overview/?aff=atempest&CMP=atempest

Thanks for chiming in, Clutch!

emkayd

Thank you, tastethebeast! Yup, I've waited for a year (to save up $$s), will wait a few more months to pick up a JKUR. Exactly my thoughts reg. JK prices w.r.t JL coming out. But I didn't see any major price reduction happening as of yet. Perhaps waiting a few more months will help I'm guessing.

You can find hundreds of low mileage JKs for a decent price around here now that the JLs are out. I would skip out on that one. The folks around here are very willing to help you wrench on your Jeep to get it where you want it.

Top Bottom