Jeep JL outside temperature and AC conflict

Kuhsoy

I was recently in an area where it gets about 20 degrees at night and about 80 during the day. In the morning I started up the jeep and it said the outside temp was 31 degrees. Later that afternoon it was warming up and it was in the 80s but the cluster and the touch screen stated it was still 31 degrees. I tried turning on the AC however the AC pump would not kick on and the air blew warm. I tried turning off the vehicle and turning it back on with no luck. I also began messing with the display settings changing it from Fahrenheit to Celsius in hopes that it would update to the proper temp with no luck. After about two hours of driving the outside temp finally updated to 83 degrees and instantly I could hear the AC pump kick on and the air blow instantly cold. It appears to be a conflict with the vehicles temperature sensor telling the vehicle that it is 31 degrees outside and the ac pump does not need to turn on when it is really 83 degrees outside.

I thought it was just a mishap however I was in my uncles jeep jl a week later with the same issue however it took about 5 hours to update the "outside temperature"

Both jeeps are 2018 Jeep JL unlimiteds with the 7" screen. During the times it did occur i made sure that the "a/c" button was on and that it was also activated in the touch screen climate control options.

Anyone else run into this issue or just me? Any solutions? I noticed that it doesnt happen everytime but has happened 4-5 times within the last month.

-Kuhsoy

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
I was recently in an area where it gets about 20 degrees at night and about 80 during the day. In the morning I started up the jeep and it said the outside temp was 31 degrees. Later that afternoon it was warming up and it was in the 80s but the cluster and the touch screen stated it was still 31 degrees. I tried turning on the AC however the AC pump would not kick on and the air blew warm. I tried turning off the vehicle and turning it back on with no luck. I also began messing with the display settings changing it from Fahrenheit to Celsius in hopes that it would update to the proper temp with no luck. After about two hours of driving the outside temp finally updated to 83 degrees and instantly I could hear the AC pump kick on and the air blow instantly cold. It appears to be a conflict with the vehicles temperature sensor telling the vehicle that it is 31 degrees outside and the ac pump does not need to turn on when it is really 83 degrees outside.

I thought it was just a mishap however I was in my uncles jeep jl a week later with the same issue however it took about 5 hours to update the "outside temperature"

Both jeeps are 2018 Jeep JL unlimiteds with the 7" screen. During the times it did occur i made sure that the "a/c" button was on and that it was also activated in the touch screen climate control options.

Anyone else run into this issue or just me? Any solutions? I noticed that it doesnt happen everytime but has happened 4-5 times within the last month.

-Kuhsoy
How fast we're you going when it didn't update? I see this all the time on JK and JL when on trail. The temperature on cluster won't update unless you exceed 35-40 mph for a certain length of time. At slow speed the engine bay heat soaks and temps would be way off, that's why it does this.

All that said, it should have nothing to do with your A/C functioning. Every time your defroster is on in winter your AC system is running which many people don't know. The Jeep is still measuring the temp it just doesn't update the outside temp measurement. I know this will sound silly but next time it happens can you do a simple video showing what you mean?

Sent from my SM-G960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
All that said, it should have nothing to do with your A/C functioning.

My thoughts as well.

Also, OP, when it happens again with your ac switched on, pop the hood and see if the AC clutch is spinning along with the compressor pulley.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
How fast we're you going when it didn't update? I see this all the time on JK and JL when on trail. The temperature on cluster won't update unless you exceed 35-40 mph for a certain length of time. At slow speed the engine bay heat soaks and temps would be way off, that's why it does this.

All that said, it should have nothing to do with your A/C functioning. Every time your defroster is on in winter your AC system is running which many people don't know. The Jeep is still measuring the temp it just doesn't update the outside temp measurement. I know this will sound silly but next time it happens can you do a simple video showing what you mean?

Yup, totally agree. See it all the time when wheeling on the trail and it really should have nothing to do with the AC working.

Kuhsoy

Sent from my SM-G960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

I see what you mean. All the times it has occurred it was slow driving on the trail. That explains the temperature on the cluster. However I'm still kind of lost why the AC was not turning on. I'll try to get a video of it the next time it occurs.

Thanks for the help!

Top Bottom