Exploring The “Grand Canyon of the South”

longarmwj

There really wasn’t any off-roading involved minus a dirt back road we took, but my Jeep took me here so it counts.

Tallulah Gorge sits right on the borders of Habersham and Rabun Counties in the far Northeast corner of Georgia. The gorge is formed by the Tallulah River cutting through the rock formations for millions of years, resulting in a gorge that in spots is over 1,000 feet deep. The gorge is over two miles long, and features a series of waterfalls that cause the river to drop in elevation 500 feet in less than a mile. It is the deepest canyon East of the Mississippi River.

Just above the falls, Tallulah Falls Lake was created by the construction of the Georgia Railway and Power (now known as Georgia Power) hydroelectric dam in 1913.

This Gorge, despite being beautiful naturally, is beautiful in history as well. This is a semi-comprehensive tour of the gorge.

First and foremost, the drive up there is breathtaking. Nothing beats a North Georgia backroad.
IMG_4122.jpg

There are two main points of interest for Tallulah Gorge. There is the overlook, and the state park itself. We arrived at the overlook first.

Nice little greeting sign:
IMG_4125.jpg

The overlook itself:
IMG_4126.jpg
This little shop was awesome!! They had a coke machine that was from the 1940s, and the cokes inside them were ice cold. If you’ve never had a Coke-A-Cola in a glass bottle, pulled from an original coke machine, you’re missing out.
IMG_4128.jpg
Some views from the observation deck
IMG_4129.jpg
On our way out, we noticed this sign about the famous high rope walker, The Great Wallenda. But more on him later.
IMG_4127.jpg

When you arrive to Tallulah Falls State Park, there is a visitors center where you can walk around some exhibits and get an idea of the rich history that this place holds. The first thing that greets you is a model of the original town of Tallulah.
IMG_4131.jpg

In the early 1800s, many settlers seeked the natural bounty of supplies that the gorge offered. Stone, wood, water, fish, and shelter just to name a few. Many writers and artists seeked the falls for inspiration for their artwork, or to get an accurate idea of a remote wilderness for the stories they were writing. This proved fatal for many of them, because of the harsh terrain and immense drops that would come out of nowhere, especially during night time travel.
IMG_4132.jpg

Ever since the early 19th century, Tallulah Falls/Gorge has been a major tourist attraction. In 1882, the Tallulah Falls Railway was constructed, and it turned the city of Tallulah into a bustling city with plenty of hotels and bars to keep the patrons satisfied during their stay. The railway ran from Tallulah, all the way into South Georgia, and it became so popular that on any given weekend, an average of 2,000 people came to visit the attraction. This railway was different from most at the time, because for the duration of the trip they had a live band to entertain the travelers. In the display case they had not only the first 5 tickets ever sold, but also an original music book and clarinet used by one of the band members.
IMG_4133.jpg
IMG_4134.jpg

When the golden age of photography first came around, Tallulah Gorge was no exception. The Gorge quickly became the most photographed attraction in the south. This eventually led to interest in the film industry. Movies such as Deliverance, as well as the opening credits for the 1976 film Grizzly were filmed partially in the gorge
IMG_4135.jpg
IMG_4136.jpg

Between the years of 1911 and 1913, the Tallulah Falls Lake dam was constructed to provide power to the bustling resort city that Tallulah had become. Many opposed the dam, because it required flooding the city of Burton, but in the end, the Georgia Assembly was unable to raise the 1 Million dollars required to purchase the Gorge to stop construction. Within the display case were drill bits used to drill into the rock to place dynamite, as well as blasting powder and caps to ignite the dynamite.
IMG_4137.jpg
IMG_4138.jpg

Now remember earlier on how I mentioned the high rope walker? On July 18, 1970 Karl Wallenda became the second person to ever walk across Tallulah Gorge. The first person to ever walk across it was Professor Bachman in 1883 as a publicity stunt for one of the local hotels, however no pictures of this event exist. Inside the display case, they had a section of his high rope, original tickets, a copy of the Guinness Book of World Records that he was featured in, as well as the suite that he practiced the walk in, before deeming it too restricting for the walk and obtaining a new outfit.
IMG_4161.JPG
IMG_4162.JPG
IMG_4163.JPG
IMG_4139.jpg
IMG_4140.jpg

Now, onto the actual trails themselves so that we can get down into the gorge.
IMG_4141.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

longarmwj

We made our way to observation platform 1, where we were able to get amazing views looking east and west of the gorge, as well as a view of one of the many waterfalls. Notice the bridge? We get to that in a moment
IMG_4143.jpg
IMG_4142.jpg

Onto observation platform 2, where again, we can see more beautiful views and another one of the waterfalls.
IMG_4146.jpg
IMG_4147.jpg

Once again, another observation deck, another waterfall.
IMG_4148.jpg

Now we are actually onto the suspension bridge. The bridge is the only way to cross legally from one side of the gorge to the other. I must say there is a very interesting feeling as you’re walking across a 1,000 foot gorge, and can feel the bridge bounce and move under you
IMG_4150.jpg
IMG_4151.jpg

Views off of both sides of the bridge
IMG_4152.jpg
IMG_4153.jpg

With the park changing in elevation over 1,000 feet, there were stairs...lots and lots of stairs
IMG_4154.jpg

The view from the fourth observation deck
IMG_4155.jpg

And then, we finally made it to the gorge floor. Absolutely stunning.
IMG_4156.jpg
IMG_4157.jpg

All in all awesome day. Drew and I climbed a total of 1600+ stairs, changed a total of 2300+ feet (going down and coming back up) in elevation, hiked a total of 5 miles, consumed a total of 7 PowerAids, and converted our legs into jello. I’ll for sure be feeling this one in the morning.

Last edited:

longarmwj

Wow.... looks like a really cool place with a lot of History.. :thumb:

There really is a ton of history within the gorge. And there’s more that I didn’t even touch on.

Ironically however, the gorge itself has no Civil War or slavery history to it. Most major Georgia Landmarks as well as the vast majority of old relics in the Mountain region of Georgia are very rich in Civil War and/or slave history.

bmkrinne

Nice write up and great pics [emoji106]

We may have to ride over to the gorge this fall. I bet it would be incredible when the leaves are changing colors.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome! Don't know if I've ever heard of this place. Thanks for posting this up :thumb:

longarmwj

Nice write up and great pics [emoji106]

We may have to ride over to the gorge this fall. I bet it would be incredible when the leaves are changing colors.

Do it! Yesterday was the first time in years that I had been, but in the fall the mountains in general are stunning, so I am sure the gorge would be no different.

Be prepared for steps...lots and lots of steps. Also if you have a water bottle bring it, because along the trail they have water bottle fill up stations.

Also, when y'all come, make the extra drive 20 minutes north of the falls to The Dillard House. It is probably the best example of true Georgian food anywhere in Appalachian Georgia. So damn good.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Looks like an awesome place, thanks for sharing. I have family in GA. Might take a detour on our next visit

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

longarmwj

Awesome! Don't know if I've ever heard of this place. Thanks for posting this up :thumb:
There are people who have lived their whole lives in Georgia who have never heard of it. Which is a shame because they are missing out on some great history and beauty.

Looks like an awesome place, thanks for sharing. I have family in GA. Might take a detour on our next visit

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

You should!! It is an awesome area to spend a day at. Like I mentioned in a previous reply, don't forget the check out the Dillard House up there. If I remember correctly they had a decent beer and wine list as well. :thumb:

kellyk

Do it! Yesterday was the first time in years that I had been, but in the fall the mountains in general are stunning, so I am sure the gorge would be no different.

Be prepared for steps...lots and lots of steps. Also if you have a water bottle bring it, because along the trail they have water bottle fill up stations.

Also, when y'all come, make the extra drive 20 minutes north of the falls to The Dillard House. It is probably the best example of true Georgian food anywhere in Appalachian Georgia. So damn good.

Absolutely great food! Haven’t been in about 20 years though, hope it hasn’t changed much

Top Bottom