Why are coilovers better?

JK&Beyond

I guess the title basically asks the question, but why is it better to have the coil around the shock instead of next to it? Is there a mechanical advantage or does it just save space? Also, why are Kings so good? (not bashing king). I am actually curious as to the mechanical/technical side of what makes kings such a great choice.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I guess the title basically asks the question, but why is it better to have the coil around the shock instead of next to it? Is there a mechanical advantage or does it just save space? Also, why are Kings so good? (not bashing king). I am actually curious as to the mechanical/technical side of what makes kings such a great choice.

On a coil sprung rig, your axle will travel in an arc and swipe as well. As this happens, your coils which are designed to sit vertically at ride height will bow and get pulled with the axle, have reduced performance when this happens and ultimately make contact or get hung up on other suspension components. By having your coils attached to the shock body and then only have the shock attached to the frame and axle with joints that offer a high degree of rotation, the two can move together seamlessly and provide optimal performance regardless of the position of your axle. Coil overs also allow you to set your ride height to where you want and run two separate coils and of different spring rates if you wish and have it set so that the second coil only kicks in under certain conditions. This will allow you to have a comfortable ride for daily driving and also have the added benefit of being able to drive hard and fast in the desert and all in the same setup. Being that coil overs typically come with remote reservoirs, they will also do a great job of keeping things cool and help prevent cavatation. Also, by virtue of its design, a good coil over setup will require you to install new mounting towers with higher mounting points and that can allow you to run much longer shocks which will in turn provide a greater degree of articulation. And then there's valving, being that most coil overs can be made to order, you can have yours valved to provide an outstanding ride on and off the pavement for your specific preference or even order a set designed for your vehicle. King has been working with Off Road Evolution for a long time to do just that with JK's and, in addition to their designs and quality of construction they are coveted for that reason as well.

jhires

On a coil sprung rig, your axle will travel in an arc and swipe as well. As this happens, your coils which are designed to sit vertically at ride height will bow and get pulled with the axle, have reduced performance when this happens and ultimately make contact or get hung up on other suspension components. By having your coils attached to the shock body and then only have the shock attached to the frame and axle with joints that offer a high degree of rotation, the two can move together seamlessly and provide optimal performance regardless of the position of your axle. Coil overs also allow you to set your ride height to where you want and run two separate coils and of different spring rates if you wish and have it set so that the second coil only kicks in under certain conditions. This will allow you to have a comfortable ride for daily driving and also have the added benefit of being able to drive hard and fast in the desert and all in the same setup. Being that coil overs typically come with remote reservoirs, they will also do a great job of keeping things cool and help prevent cavatation. Also, by virtue of its design, a good coil over setup will require you to install new mounting towers with higher mounting points and that can allow you to run much longer shocks which will in turn provide a greater degree of articulation. And then there's valving, being that most coil overs can be made to order, you can have yours valved to provide an outstanding ride on and off the pavement for your specific preference or even order a set designed for your vehicle. King has been working with Off Road Evolution for a long time to do just that with JK's and, in addition to their designs and quality of construction they are coveted for that reason as well.

Wow! I didn't even know I had the question until JK&Beyond asked it. Awesome answer practically worthy of a writeup. Learned more about a coil-over setup than I ever thought I needed to know. Previous to this, only thing I knew about them was the ability to keep cool and not fade as fast under heavy use because of the reservoir setup and custom valving.

Thanks!

TheDuff

I'm sure there are a lot of reasons, but a few that come to mind are: ability to run 2 springs with completely different spring rates on a coil over. Able to get a lot of travel with out worry of unseating a spring. Mel works closely with king to get the valving and spring rates just right for a jk. Other companies may just be using a generic coil over setup using theoretical numbers. Although coil overs are not the only rebuild able shock, once you purchase other high end shocks that are with springs ect, you come close to the cost of coil overs anyways. I haven't seen many instances where a spring/shock combo produced more flex than coilovers (metal cloak lift may be close). Coil over shock bodies are pretty massive, looks to me that they hold a lot more fluid volume, which is good for high speed stuff. I just rode in and fallowed my a rig on coil overs during tds. I in no way could keep up and while riding along, the faster we went the smoother it was! That was just on the evo bolt on's, double throw down and evo lever must be insane. The ability to do 70mph down a wash that my rig was getting beat up on going 20mph is just awesome. I haven't seen any that went to coil overs switch back to coil and shock. These are just my observations and may not be fact, so flame away!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I should also note that unlike a traditional coil which, the taller you go, the stiffer the spring rate needs to be to prevent deflection, a coil over running two separate coils will allow you to achieve your desired ride height without sacrifice to your ride quality. In most cases, you can use coil overs to significantly improve it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sure there are a lot of reasons, but a few that come to mind are: ability to run 2 springs with completely different spring rates on a coil over. Able to get a lot of travel with out worry of unseating a spring. Mel works closely with king to get the valving and spring rates just right for a jk. Other companies may just be using a generic coil over setup using theoretical numbers. Although coil overs are not the only rebuild able shock, once you purchase other high end shocks that are with springs ect, you come close to the cost of coil overs anyways. I haven't seen many instances where a spring/shock combo produced more flex than coilovers (metal cloak lift may be close). Coil over shock bodies are pretty massive, looks to me that they hold a lot more fluid volume, which is good for high speed stuff. I just rode in and fallowed my a rig on coil overs during tds. I in no way could keep up and while riding along, the faster we went the smoother it was! That was just on the evo bolt on's, double throw down and evo lever must be insane. The ability to do 70mph down a wash that my rig was getting beat up on going 20mph is just awesome. I haven't seen any that went to coil overs switch back to coil and shock. These are just my observations and may not be fact, so flame away!

Your observations are pretty much dead on and even if something like the Metalcloak system could offer as much articulation, you would still be forced to have a taller ride height and their coils would still be influenced by the position of the axle, bow, make contact and get hung up in suspension components. Also, there is simply no comparison to the ride you would have with a coil over with two coils vs. a traditional dual rate coil. The later simply will not have the kind of stuff that a two coils with a softer spring rate will provide. Also, as you've pointed out, good coil overs are massive and are designed to take abuse in a way that two skinny shocks strapped end on end could never hope to.

dis_dis

Banned
I am thinking about upgrading to coil overs at some point in the future but I don't like the idea of having to cut the trunk space in the back and installing the towers for the coil-overs. In a 2 door the space is limited as it is. Is there a coil over set up that doesnt require cutting/setting up the trunk area?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I am thinking about upgrading to coil overs at some point in the future but I don't like the idea of having to cut the trunk space in the back and installing the towers for the coil-overs. In a 2 door the space is limited as it is. Is there a coil over set up that doesnt require cutting/setting up the trunk area?

Well yeah, the EVO MFG bolt on coil over kit will provide 12" of vertical travel up front and 11.25" in the rear and without having to do any cutting of your tub. It's a great kit and one that we are running on our 2012 now. Of course, if you want huge 14" of vertical travel and the best ride available for your JK, I would recommend the EVO MFG Double Throw Down with EVO lever in the rear - essentially, a cantilever system that requires NO cutting of the tub but still offers the MOST flex out of any coil over kit available today. Best part is, both kits don't require you to set your ride height sky high as others available today do. :yup:

Here are some shots of the more affordable bolt on kit in action....

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Here is a link to the build thread...

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?607-RubiCAT-Gettin-EVO-d-UP!!

TheDuff

I believe (key word!) The evo lever works on both 2 and 4 Door. As far as I've seen u just get the exhaust out if the way and there isn't a hoop in the trunk. But then again, I haven't seen it on a 2dr in person!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I believe (key word!) The evo lever works on both 2 and 4 Door. As far as I've seen u just get the exhaust out if the way and there isn't a hoop in the trunk. But then again, I haven't seen it on a 2dr in person!

There aren't too many 2-doors out there in general but, I have seen a few with the EVO lever installed. Here's an old shot of what it looks like from underneath and with short arms...

main.php

dis_dis

Banned
Well yeah, the EVO MFG bolt on coil over kit will provide 12" of vertical travel up front and 11.25" in the rear and without having to do any cutting of your tub. It's a great kit and one that we are running on our 2012 now. Of course, if you want huge 14" of vertical travel and the best ride available for your JK, I would recommend the EVO MFG Double Throw Down with EVO lever in the rear - essentially, a cantilever system that requires NO cutting of the tub but still offers the MOST flex out of any coil over kit available today. Best part is, both kits don't require you to set your ride height sky high as others available today do. :yup:

Here are some shots of the more affordable bolt on kit in action....

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Here is a link to the build thread...

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?607-RubiCAT-Gettin-EVO-d-UP!!

Nice,
I know what my next mod after I change my drive shafts will be ... :)

TheDuff

Eddie I don't know how you made that massive post with pictures and beat me to the submit button:what: I'm in awe:eek:

TheDuff

I like the use of space there for the battery

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I had posted this a few weeks ago when the debate started in yet another thread that any coilover bolted on to your rig is easy to set up and tune. Well, it's not. Click the link below for some more info on how the coilover we run is a turnkey solution for anyone looking at investing into a great set up

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?5016-What-is-an-EVO-spec-d-King-Shock

:cheesy: Funny how that works. Even funnier, I was just looking for that link so that I could post it up but, it looks like you beat me to it :crazyeyes:

Rusty

Greg... It's only easy if you have a Factory support team with you... oh and Mel... ;)

I was sort of debating in another thread about wether or not to get coil overs versus a coil spring set up ( the double D thread) and I think I've made up my mind... Thanks guys!

GCM 2

Greg... It's only easy if you have a Factory support team with you... oh and Mel... ;)

Haha! If only that we're true brother! Mel is just a great friend to me, but I do insist on supporting his business with my cash purchases! My wife on the other hand probably wishes I was great friends with a home remodeler and my all cash went there instead :icon_crazy:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Haha! If only that we're true brother! Mel is just a great friend to me, but I do insist on supporting his business with my cash purchases! My wife on the other hand probably wishes I was great friends with a home remodeler and my all cash went there instead :icon_crazy:

You have a jeep that has been remodeled. What more does she need? :cheesy:

Rusty

I bet your wife does.. :cheesy:

I don't even know the guy, maybe one day I will... but.. Hell so far I only have skid plates and rocker panel skins from EVO on my jeep... (front bumper and rock sliders are ether being fabricated or shipped.. ).. And I have the Evo mfg written on my doors and the Offroad Evolution logo in large on my front passenger doors.. I'm a HUGE fan.. And I seriously cannot wait to have the suspension system as well... who knows maybe when I get home in june (going on a 3 month long business trip...) it'll be sitting on 4 coilovers... (seeing as I'm leaving my Jeep at National 4wd in montreal while i'm gone.

I support his business! the evolution that they are in the process of bringing to this way of life... / sport... is.. Awesome!

FuriousDz

So sorry if this is a newb question or if it was already answered.

So the shock and coil allow for a true vertical movement but your control arms move still move in an arc correct?
IF the above is true does the coilover pivot as the contol arms drop lower to allow for a full range of motion?

Top Bottom