Ford Truck - Which Motor?

TrailHunter

Hooked
I am getting really close to trading my 05 Duramax in for a new/used truck. I never thought I would buy a ford, but it looks like I am moving to the Dark side.. Haha... I have 4 motor options:

1. 3.3 V6
2. 3.5 V6 Ecoboost
3. 2.7 V6 Ecoboost
4. 5.0 V8

Now that I have my Jeep.... the truck is a dedicated for work... loading materials, going job to job and some minor towing. I'm over having a lifted work truck and I need something a little smaller with better gas mileage and reliable.

Which motor do you guys like?

WJCO

Meme King
I am getting really close to trading my 05 Duramax in for a new/used truck. I never thought I would buy a ford, but it looks like I am moving to the Dark side.. Haha... I have 4 motor options:

1. 3.3 V6
2. 3.5 V6 Ecoboost
3. 2.7 V6 Ecoboost
4. 5.0 V8

Now that I have my Jeep.... the truck is a dedicated for work... loading materials, going job to job and some minor towing. I'm over having a lifted work truck and I need something a little smaller with better gas mileage and reliable.

Which motor do you guys like?

The 3.5s blow up all day long. I look at at least one a week with broken pistons or rods through the block. The only thing "eco" about them is them is less weight when the pieces of the motor are all over the highway.

The 5.0 is pretty new and I don't see them too often.

I've never even heard of the other two, and I work in claims, so maybe that's a good thing.

Do you have to have a newer vehicle?

BaddestCross

I know, I know.... :crazyeyes: This is so hard for me.... but Ford has better deals in a Base model work truck.
First of all, I'd be buying a Ram. Second of all, if it's not a V8 or diesel with an 8' bed, it's not a truck. 😎

That being said, I bought an old Ford van because I don't like the new trend of boxes on wheels and the damn thing has 400k miles on it and I really haven't done much to it other than beat the shit out of it.

Oh, and it has a V8. 🤣

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Lojo

Our fleet trucks at work are 3.3 v6 and we beat them up all the time. Lots of miles and idle time as well as off road. They are light trucks with locker in the rear. It’s pretty amazing they don’t get stuck as often as you would expect.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

nbunga

Caught the Bug
For years my father in law always had white astro vans with no windows for his work van. I always called it his creeper van.

TrailHunter

Hooked
The 3.5s blow up all day long. I look at at least one a week with broken pistons or rods through the block. The only thing "eco" about them is them is less weight when the pieces of the motor are all over the highway.

The 5.0 is pretty new and I don't see them too often.

I've never even heard of the other two, and I work in claims, so maybe that's a good thing.

Do you have to have a newer vehicle?

This is what I’m seeing in my research as well... I’m not trusting the Ecoboost BS. As far as an older truck... shit, I’d love to have a 90’s chevy again... but I dont want to wrench on it, I want good mpg, some modern comforts and I need it to take me & the fam on long trips if needed. I want my work truck to be extremely dependable so I can dedicate my spare time to wrenching on the Jeep. What were you thinking?

First of all, I'd be buying a Ram. Second of all, if it's not a V8 or diesel with an 8' bed, it's not a truck. [emoji41]

That being said, I bought an old Ford van because I don't like the new trend of boxes on wheels and the damn thing has 400k miles on it and I really haven't done much to it other than beat the shit out of it.

Oh, and it has a V8. 🤣

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

You’re not helping.. lol. If I was getting a diesel 4x4, without a doubt.. Dodge. I was going to pull the trigger on a 2500 Ram, but I chose a Jeep. Best decision ever. I’ve used the shit out of the DMax, but times are changing and my job has changed.... I use to tow dump trailers & go wheeling with it... those days are over. Just need something basic & reliable now... The V8 is a solid option.

Our fleet trucks at work are 3.3 v6 and we beat them up all the time. Lots of miles and idle time as well as off road. They are light trucks with locker in the rear. It’s pretty amazing they don’t get stuck as often as you would expect.

I’m leaning towards the 3.3 for reliability & mpg. And may end up with a used fleet vehicle. Just worried I’ll hate the lack of power coming from a diesel.

Bierpower

Hooked
I don't think I've ever personally talked with anyone that was really happy with their Ecoboost. If you ever plan to hook up to a trailer or do any real work I would stick to the 5.0L. My dad has driven a Ford for the past 30 years and this year bought a ram and hasn't looked back. He was looking at an Ecoboost but the ram was thousands cheaper with lower miles and more features.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
It’s getting hard to find a larger V8 in a half ton. You can get a 6.2 in GM trucks of higher trim grade. The Ram has a 5.7, I think Toyota still has a 5.7, and Nissan has a 5.6. I actually had a 2003 Nissan, and it was strong. It got about 14 mpg, though.

Bierpower

Hooked
It’s getting hard to find a larger V8 in a half ton. You can get a 6.2 in GM trucks of higher trim grade. The Ram has a 5.7, I think Toyota still has a 5.7, and Nissan has a 5.6. I actually had a 2003 Nissan, and it was strong. It got about 14 mpg, though.

I think most of the big V8's are saved for the EPA exempt HD trucks leaving the beefed up car engines for the half ton truck that fall under EPA regulations.

TrailHunter

Hooked
5.0. Friend of a coworker had an ecoboost. He towed a trailer to Atlanta (12 hours), and blew the motor.

Yeah.... I think the Ecobombs are off the list.

I don't think I've ever personally talked with anyone that was really happy with their Ecoboost. If you ever plan to hook up to a trailer or do any real work I would stick to the 5.0L. My dad has driven a Ford for the past 30 years and this year bought a ram and hasn't looked back. He was looking at an Ecoboost but the ram was thousands cheaper with lower miles and more features.

Rams look great lifted on a solid axle.....

I only see one option.
V8

Or an F-250 with a 6.7
The 250 is too much truck for what I need right now.... In a perfect world I'd have 2 Late Model Pickups.

Just don't need the biggest engine for my daily use.... I have that now and easily burn $80 in fuel every 3 to 4 days. The cost of trucks right now is F'n insane. Suprisingly Toyota has the worst mpg of all of them. I like the 5.0 numbers... just a little harder to find and more dough.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Yeah.... I think the Ecobombs are off the list.

Rams look great lifted on a solid axle.....

The 250 is too much truck for what I need right now.... In a perfect world I'd have 2 Late Model Pickups.

Just don't need the biggest engine for my daily use.... I have that now and easily burn $80 in fuel every 3 to 4 days. The cost of trucks right now is F'n insane. Suprisingly Toyota has the worst mpg of all of them. I like the 5.0 numbers... just a little harder to find and more dough.

The wife’s 5.7 Grand Cherokee has 360 hp, and gets 20-24 mpg.

Bear_JT

Hooked
My brother has had F-150’s with both the 5.0 and Eco Boost. He said the 5.0 was a way better motor, felt stronger and was more reliable in his opinion.

Top Bottom