Hidden Winch Options

Mr. Stiz

I have a dilemma. My wife is driving the JK daily now and she doesn’t like having the winch show on the front bumper. She doesn’t want another vehicle and likes driving around with something cool and different than all the Mercedes and Escalade moms. I am more of a traditionalist and really like a nice clean front grill and bumper setup, but she saw the Grumper and wants that now. The Grumper is what I consider a “neat” idea, but not really my thing. But, she’s driving it now and wants to make the change from the Poison Spyder Brawler Lite. I have the narrow flares as well and want something up front that is narrow to keep those similar lines.

1. What other options are out there for a front mounted winch that is “hidden” from view or a bumper that the winch sits down inside and barely shows?
2. What protection does the Grumper offer compared to a traditional steel bumper?

Thanks

WJCO

Meme King
I have a dilemma. My wife is driving the JK daily now and she doesn’t like having the winch show on the front bumper. She doesn’t want another vehicle and likes driving around with something cool and different than all the Mercedes and Escalade moms. I am more of a traditionalist and really like a nice clean front grill and bumper setup, but she saw the Grumper and wants that now. The Grumper is what I consider a “neat” idea, but not really my thing. But, she’s driving it now and wants to make the change from the Poison Spyder Brawler Lite. I have the narrow flares as well and want something up front that is narrow to keep those similar lines.

1. What other options are out there for a front mounted winch that is “hidden” from view or a bumper that the winch sits down inside and barely shows?
2. What protection does the Grumper offer compared to a traditional steel bumper?

Thanks

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php...Plate-and-Zeon-10S-install-on-10A-X-HR-Bumper

IMG_2313.jpg

And if you get the Zeon, you can even remove that control box on top and relocate it elsewhere.

Ddays

Hooked

Thanks

Grumper?!? :gaah: Seems like an intervention is required

Seriously, the Grumper gets rid of one of the most identifiable parts of a Wrangler - the grill. It's an icon. The Grumper fits for shit and It's a painted steel part so it's gonna eventually rust. Tell her the Escalade & Mercedes moms will laugh at her or something. Besides, a grumper isn't my idea of a nice clean front grill :icon_crazy:

There are a lot of options for recessed or partial winch installations. I'm running a Full Metal Fabworks one that is partially recessed. With a cover on it it looks a lot cleaner.

rc7.jpg

Last edited:

Mr. Stiz

I agree with the idea of keeping the stock grill. I love having the stock grill due the symbolism. That’s why this is a big deal to me. I’m researching some of the recessed bumper options to try and persuade her along with a new winch that has a cleaner top section. One of her main issues is seeing the cables due to the controller on the current winch being mounted on top. Maybe a Zeon type winch and recessed would do the trick. That’s why I posted here to get some options I may have missed.

zimm

Caught the Bug
I had a brawler lite too. Great bumper, but I didn't like the winch sitting on the top shelf blocking the grill. Like most folks here, the EVO 1/4 pounder fits the bill. If you don't put lights on it or d-rings, it's pretty clean. Helluva lot cheaper than the ugly ass grumper monstrosity.

View attachment 311720

CharlesC

IMG_0885.JPG
Used the steel cover plate on the 10A bumper for cover and cut access for the lever. Relocated the control pack behind the grill. I vote, keep the stock grill! JMO
Good luck man[emoji482]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I just went to the Fab Fours web site to check out this grumper thing. Well, I noticed that they didn't reconnect the sway bar. That is all I have to say about it.
I do how ever like my AEV bumper.

Bigjimbo

I have the AEV, which also has a recessed winch. I wasn't a fan of the full width, so I chopped it. Pictured below with my warn 10s

00000IMG_00000_BURST20180608212626068_COVER.jpg

Bigjimbo

How's this? It's 1/4" steel if I remember right. Then a spray can of bedliner did a good enough job to blend it. Or you can buy AEVs paint at $20 a can.

Screenshot_20181008-161018%7E2-01.jpeg

Top Bottom