New windshield washer reservoir?

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I noticed that my driver side front bypass hose was rubbing on the windshield washer reservoir, so I got the bright idea to try and trim it just a BIT more... well, an 1/16" too close would be better than this right about now...

20181006_105708.jpg

20181006_105716.jpg

Ok, that looks pretty good now, let's just clean things up a bit, and START ALL OVER because the son of a bitch is leaking... anyone know where I can get an OEM 2015 resevoir without getting hung out to dry (pun intended) by the dealer?

I'm expecting this 1/16" of clearance just cost me about $50 and starting back at the beginning in hunt for that sweet sweet clearance.

...Live and learn... :bang head:

Anyone ever patched a wiper fluid reservoir before? Will just any old epoxy work with just regular windshield washer fluid? It has methanol/alcohol in it, correct?

I could live with that if I can use something black for the patch and it holds up well...

I have some lecture PL marine adhesive sealant, (drys white but can be painted)

the lable/package says... "uncured sealant can be removed using a solvent such as alcohol"...

it doesn't say ANYTHING about CURED sealant & alcohol though... :thinking:

sent from SPACE!
DZZ Build thread

Last edited:

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Here's a better pic now that the washer fluid is (mostly) on the driveway. It looks like there is only 3, very small leaks. Looks like I JUST barely over shot the max I could have

20181006_113838.jpg

sent from SPACE!
DZZ Build thread

WJCO

Meme King
When I did my WJ/ZJ conversion, it cost me like 30 bucks fir a used reservoir from a junkyard.

With that being said, your reservoir has no pressure. Just patch it. Our new house had a crack in the bottom of the bathtub, it would only leak when the water was 75% full from the weight. Patched that bitch with clear flexseal in a can, brushed 3 coats on. Hasn't leaked since. I would definitely attempt a repair. Then put some styrofoam pipe foam on that hose so it doesn't rub on the repair.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I picked up some Permatex "Plastic Welder" in black locally on Sunday, now I just need to figure out if it is worth pulling the whole tank out to "patch" the corner, or just do it on the jeep. I don't want to get it on my kings if I can help it. Current goal is to run out of what is left inside the washer tank before I attempt the repair. :yawn37:

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-84115-5-minute-Plastic-Adhesive/dp/B000ALBZK8

Given how thick the plastic is, and how small the "leaks" are, I feel confident a simple patch job will suffice. I am currently planning to clean things up with sandpaper and a good solvent (Isopropyl alcohol) before mixing/applying the "Plastic Welder" and waiting for it to cure before refilling the tank.

WJCO

Meme King
I picked up some Permatex "Plastic Welder" in black locally on Sunday, now I just need to figure out if it is worth pulling the whole tank out to "patch" the corner, or just do it on the jeep. I don't want to get it on my kings if I can help it.

Wrap the Kings in aluminum foil. You can fit that shit in tight spaces and don't have to tape it.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Wrap the Kings in aluminum foil. You can fit that shit in tight spaces and don't have to tape it.

That is a GREAT idea! :thumb: :beer:

Currently still waiting on running down the washer fluid left in the tank, this rain isn't speeding ANYTHING up though. :bored01:

Top Bottom