2015 Jeep JKU Automatic Transmission Fluid and Filter Change?

dotnetrob

With my 2015 JKU hitting 80000 miles recently, I realized I have put off the transmission (Automatic) service that I put on my to-do list at 60,000 miles. I have heard many jeepers tell me to avoid changing the transmission fluid and filter because of transmission issue popping up soon after. Looking for advise and/or experiences.

J

JKDream

With my 2015 JKU hitting 80000 miles recently, I realized I have put off the transmission (Automatic) service that I put on my to-do list at 60,000 miles. I have heard many jeepers tell me to avoid changing the transmission fluid and filter because of transmission issue popping up soon after. Looking for advise and/or experiences.

I just completed this a few weeks ago.
What you've heard from other people is likely pertaining to a flush not a fluid change.
The service manual calls for a fluid change (not flush) and filter change.
It's pretty straight forward - you have to pull the pan to get the filter.
I would highly recommend buying a siphon and draining the pan of fluid through the dipstick beforehand.

J

JKDream

I just ordered a topsider, hopefully will make it all less messy.

Couple of other tips.

You definitely won't be able to remove the pan without either unbolting the exhaust, or raising the transmission.
I have a skid system that required me to remove the transmission bolts anyway, so I went with the latter option.
Do this beforehand, otherwise the pan will get caught on the filter and you will spill everywhere.

The topsider will likely get a majority of the fluid out, but not all. I ran into this thinking the pan was empty, and ended up making a mess.

You won't be able to get a regular torx socket bit on the rear pan bolts without some ridiculous swivels/extensions.
I picked up one of these at Princess Auto (Canadian Harbor Freight). It fits, and worked great.

03044a-12.jpg

Lastly, when you go to replace the filter. Pull it out slowly, and preferably on an angle.
A bunch of additional fluid will spill out here. I pulled it on an angle first and let it drain, and then removed.

dotnetrob

Couple of other tips.

You definitely won't be able to remove the pan without either unbolting the exhaust, or raising the transmission.
I have a skid system that required me to remove the transmission bolts anyway, so I went with the latter option.
Do this beforehand, otherwise the pan will get caught on the filter and you will spill everywhere.

The topsider will likely get a majority of the fluid out, but not all. I ran into this thinking the pan was empty, and ended up making a mess.

You won't be able to get a regular torx socket bit on the rear pan bolts without some ridiculous swivels/extensions.
I picked up one of these at Princess Auto (Canadian Harbor Freight). It fits, and worked great.

View attachment 312244

Lastly, when you go to replace the filter. Pull it out slowly, and preferably on an angle.
A bunch of additional fluid will spill out here. I pulled it on an angle first and let it drain, and then removed.

I'm actually putting on rock hard 4x4 skids, including replacing the transmission cross member. So i figured it would be a good time to finally change the transmission filter and oil.

rogerk93

It’s actually very easy to do. Just to add what was already said, Save the headache of trying to reach the rear bolts and just remove your cross member it makes life so much easier I tried using swivel sockets but it just makes it harder to work with. Removing the cross member gives you easy access and when you drop the pan you won’t have to worry about hitting it and spilling some fluid.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

GraniteWilly

I'm actually putting on rock hard 4x4 skids, including replacing the transmission cross member. So i figured it would be a good time to finally change the transmission filter and oil.

Good call. Just did this service two days ago and with the trans crossmember out it’s a super simple process. If you’re already in there it’s a no brainer.

kawimoto

It’s actually very easy to do. Just to add what was already said, Save the headache of trying to reach the rear bolts and just remove your cross member it makes life so much easier I tried using swivel sockets but it just makes it harder to work with. Removing the cross member gives you easy access and when you drop the pan you won’t have to worry about hitting it and spilling some fluid.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks for the tip! I too am due for the service and hoping for a smooth service

jorgelrod

Hooked
I had the dealer replace at 30K and 60K and never had any popping or other manner of sounds coming from the tranny.

dotnetrob

2015 Jeep JKU Automatic Transmission Fluid and Filter Change Completed

Figured I would update this thread with my results. Did the change pretty close to how OVERCLOCK3D did in his youtube video - https://youtu.be/aiFY--sfAOE

Sorry I don't have pictures, was to busy doing the work.

Used a Topsider / fluid extractor and removed 3 1/2 quarts of transmission fluid.
Since I was replacing my crossmember with a hardrock 4x4 crossmember I removed the stock crossmember. This made getting to the 6 bolts on the transmission pan easy. And even if i wasn't replacing the crossmember. I would recommend removing the crossmember for this task, removing it was easy and made this task super simple.
Unbolted the pan and it still didn't come out, it hit exhaust pipe, so unbolted exhuast on the passenger side and pan came right out. If i had exhaust spaces, it probably wouldn't have been an issue. Pan had 1 quart of oil in it. I only spilled a bit getting the pan down.
Cleaned the pan and magnet, no metal shavings found.
Reinstalled pan with new filter and gasket. Used a Wix 58845 Transmission Filter with gasket.
I measured all the fluid I took out so I know how much to put back in. 4 1/2 quarts.
Put new crossmember on and took it for a drive, Checked fluid before and after, so I could check it hot and cold.
No leaks, very little mess.

Have put 400 miles on the jeep since the change and no issues.

rmilobrown

GOOD DEAL! Glad you got it done. Anybody that's following this thread and wants to give it a go, I also just did mine without a mess. The only thing I did different was just remove the three nuts attaching the tranny to the cross member. Jack the transfer case up so the pan will clear the exhaust.

Captain Skip

Figured I would update this thread with my results. Did the change pretty close to how OVERCLOCK3D did in his youtube video - https://youtu.be/aiFY--sfAOE

Sorry I don't have pictures, was to busy doing the work.

Used a Topsider / fluid extractor and removed 3 1/2 quarts of transmission fluid.
Since I was replacing my crossmember with a hardrock 4x4 crossmember I removed the stock crossmember. This made getting to the 6 bolts on the transmission pan easy. And even if i wasn't replacing the crossmember. I would recommend removing the crossmember for this task, removing it was easy and made this task super simple.
Unbolted the pan and it still didn't come out, it hit exhaust pipe, so unbolted exhuast on the passenger side and pan came right out. If i had exhaust spaces, it probably wouldn't have been an issue. Pan had 1 quart of oil in it. I only spilled a bit getting the pan down.
Cleaned the pan and magnet, no metal shavings found.
Reinstalled pan with new filter and gasket. Used a Wix 58845 Transmission Filter with gasket.
I measured all the fluid I took out so I know how much to put back in. 4 1/2 quarts.
Put new crossmember on and took it for a drive, Checked fluid before and after, so I could check it hot and cold.
No leaks, very little mess.

Have put 400 miles on the jeep since the change and no issues.

I know you did this a while ago. How has it worked out with the WIX filter? I'm looking at changing the trans fluid on my 2015 JK and I'm thinking about using the WIX filter. I've heard all kinds of stories about how aftermarket filters will cause problems. Any issues that you've seen? Thanks

dotnetrob

I know you did this a while ago. How has it worked out with the WIX filter? I'm looking at changing the trans fluid on my 2015 JK and I'm thinking about using the WIX filter. I've heard all kinds of stories about how aftermarket filters will cause problems. Any issues that you've seen? Thanks

Worked great for me. Did my transmission service at 81k miles about a year and a half ago. Just hit 115k this week and haven't had any transmission issues.

Top Bottom