Sahara Axle Swap?

JL_John

Looking for some expert advice... I have JL Sahara and a chance to pickup a set of Rubicon front and rear axle takeoffs at a good price. I know the axles are 1.5" wider but other than that does anyone know of any issues doing a swap?

kmac107

Looking to do the same thing on my brothers sport,just wondering when someone will make a truss kit to help support the weak axle tube with the fad unit. You will also need a tazer programmer or similar to change gearing in the computer driveshafts should bolt up you will need to install switches for the front and rear lockers just make sure you have them covered or in a safe location so you don’t turn them on going down the road

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Looking to do the same thing on my brothers sport,just wondering when someone will make a truss kit to help support the weak axle tube with the fad unit. You will also need a tazer programmer or similar to change gearing in the computer driveshafts should bolt up you will need to install switches for the front and rear lockers just make sure you have them covered or in a safe location so you don’t turn them on going down the road

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Dynatrac has seemed to have solved the issue by redesigning the housing and eliminating the FAD. No need for a truss.

ScoobyCarolanNC

You’re probably not going to find anyone swapping those axles since most folks seem to love them. Did you order the ant-spin rear dif option? You get the rubicon rear axle & a LSD albeit in the shorter width. It’s $550 option and very worth it in my book. Then if you really want to do it just get the crate rubicon front for $2500, wire the front locker, Upgrade the rear to a locker & run spacers to get the width?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
After having seeing a few axle housing break and seeing first hand just how thin the JL axle tubes are, there's no way I would purposefully buy a Rubicon axle when I could get a Dynatrac JL ProRock 44. The tubes on it are literally as big and beefy as the ones that are on Moby's old ProRock 60.

JL_John

After having seeing a few axle housing break and seeing first hand just how thin the JL axle tubes are, there's no way I would purposefully buy a Rubicon axle when I could get a Dynatrac JL ProRock 44. The tubes on it are literally as big and beefy as the ones that are on Moby's old ProRock 60.

I did the swap back in October when I came across a set of Rubicon takeoffs from a guy who did the Dynatrac 60/80 swap. Got a killer deal that I couldn't pass up. Now that there are a few aftermarket D44 variants on the market I'm planning to upgrade. I've seen a few pics of broken axles as well and the FAD makes me nervous.

I have seen some videos and must say that you wheel your jl very hard sometimes and with 37 " tires. Are the axles really that week on the JL?

I guess that at least with stock tires they will hold up pretty well but that is just a guess from my side. Never even seen a jl in real life. Not many of them here in Sweden but they do look very nice.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have seen some videos and must say that you wheel your jl very hard sometimes and with 37 " tires. Are the axles really that week on the JL?

I guess that at least with stock tires they will hold up pretty well but that is just a guess from my side. Never even seen a jl in real life. Not many of them here in Sweden but they do look very nice.

They are better than what came on the JK but not as good as what you can get with a ProRock 44. All I'm saying is that I'm not as confident with what I've got now and would have a hard time paying for a Dana Rubicon axle when I know I could get something that's a LOT better.

They are better than what came on the JK but not as good as what you can get with a ProRock 44. All I'm saying is that I'm not as confident with what I've got now and would have a hard time paying for a Dana Rubicon axle when I know I could get something that's a LOT better.

^^^^^^This

Top Bottom