Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New axle

New axle

So my stock front axle broke a couple weeks ago. I welded it up just so I could drive my jeep for now. I was looking at getting a teraflex Dana 44 axle housing and swaping over the gears and everything. Just wanted to know if this is a good idea or not or if there is a better axle to go with. My budget is about $2500 which is why I'm only getting the housing.

Sent from my SM-N950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by loganokeefe72 View Post
    So my stock front axle broke a couple weeks ago. I welded it up just so I could drive my jeep for now. I was looking at getting a teraflex Dana 44 axle housing and swaping over the gears and everything. Just wanted to know if this is a good idea or not or if there is a better axle to go with. My budget is about $2500 which is why I'm only getting the housing.

PR44 is pretty badass.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

How are you going to swap the dana 30 gears into a 44 housing? Your profile says that you have a Sahara so I'm assuming your front axle is a Dana30.

And yes there's a better axle to go with. As mentioned, the ProRock 44 would be the best option.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

If you are really in a bind to get a new axle I believe you can get a complete D44 housing, 4.10 geared, elocker, axle shafts, knuckles and unit bearings for that price, you would have to regear the rear end though.

If you are wanting to swap your D30 internals then yes, your only option I believe is the terrorflex D30 housing.

If I was in your boat and needed a new front housing urgently, and only had the $2500 right now I would order the non Rubicon PR44 housing get new ball joints and swap my wheel ends over (knuckles, unit bearings, brakes) and and drive around with the empty housing. Would not have 4wd until I the internals can be afforded.

Or just find another D30 on Craigslist. They don’t go for much.

New axle

Like everyone said u don’t regret going pro44 save more and re gear it bc u don’t need to pay labor twice. And since is the front go with true trac locker.

Nothing but a Thing desertrunner's Avatar
    As other have said if you have a d30 you can't swap those internals into a 44.
    You can definitely find a used Rubi front 44 for that budget and depending on what gears you have currency you may or may not have to re gear the rear. Or cheapest option you can have the D30 sitting in my garage haha

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app
    12' 2dr Gecko Sport 6 speed
    PR44, ARBs, 4.88s, 35 spline rear, Adams 1350 Front & Rear, Rubi T-case, Rubi sway bar + Evo no limits, Evo armor & skids, 37/13.50" Cooper STT Pro, Evo 2" plush / OME med duty springs

***SOLD*** 08' JKU Rubicon 6-speed Stone White, 3.5" RK lift, 37" KM2s and lots more.
    ***CURRENT DD*** 16' F150

I went wheeling with a guy that got a PR44 housing for I believe 1700. And just swapped out his rubicon 44 internals.

If you do drive with an empty housing make sure you put stub shafts in the unit bearings

Quote Originally Posted by ThatJeepGuy View Post
    If you do drive with an empty housing make sure you put stub shafts in the unit bearings

Why?

Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

2012 Jeep Wrangler

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast