2014 JKU just hit 150,000 miles

A few years ago, I was longing to get back into a Jeep after totaling my mildly built 2002 WJ back in early 2013. After putting up with my built up but archaic 1984 FJ60. I decided a JK was going to be the perfect fit.

IMG_2707.JPG First trip in the WJ in 7mile rim. Way back in 2010. Small lift and 285’s. It did pretty well. And then a couple years later...
IMG_2704.JPG

Low speed rollover on a frontage road after trying to avoid another car pulling out in front of me. No injuries except for the WJ.

So, with little money and no vehicle. I got the old FJ60 road worthy again and for nearly 3 years it was my daily driver. And only trail rig
IMG_2706.JPG

But after getting tired of a carburetor, no A/C and the harsh ride that a spring over conversion affords, it was time for a change.

I don’t have pictures of the day I brought our JK home. But this was taken a few short weeks after.
IMG_2703.JPG

While I did want a JKUR I knew I’d be changing most of what makes a Rubicon a Rubicon. So I found a great deal on a used 2014 sport with all the options.

So a small 2.5 inch lift and some 35 inch Nitto trail grapplers and I was ready to hit the trails
IMG_5045.jpg

First trip out. Middle of January meant snow and mud.
IMG_5295.jpg

I couldn’t wait until May for our yearly MOAB trip. A trip that had been put off since I killed my WJ because I didn’t want to make the trip in the land cruiser.

All loaded up and ready to go
IMG_2702.JPG

Finally. Made it!
IMG_2701.JPG
IMG_5602.JPG
Met up with a few other WAYALIFE members Greenjeepmac and JJK
IMG_5590.jpg

It had been over 7 years since I last saw Moab in a Jeep. Long over due.

Many great memories that first summer we had it last year. Good trail runs. Some mistakes and lessons learned the hard way. But nothing like what happened last October
IMG_6455.JPG
Long story but what what started out as an overlanding trip turned into a good deed landing me in some nasty sticky mud.

Two days later this was the aftermath.
Was lucky I even got it out.
IMG_6464.jpg

But back to Moab for some more memories before the close of the year. This time with a proper bumper and winch
IMG_6599.jpg

Some Pony Express redemption
IMG_6774.JPG
IMG_6775.jpg
And of course I had to hit a few spots on the way back. I remember seeing a familiar marker in one of Eddies trip reports so I had to make a stop.
IMG_0092.jpg
IMG_0102.jpg

And finally, a trip I’ve been looking forward to since I first discovered WAYALIFE
The annual New Years run earlier this year in the Mojave
IMG_7006.JPG
IMG_0009.JPG

And shortly after. Graduating to 37x13.50 cooper STT pros.
IMG_0188.jpg

To be continued

Yep. Some trimming would be needed being that I like to run a low CG.
IMG_0192.JPG
And the very next day... wishing I would have waited a few more days.
IMG_0245.jpg

First wheeling trip on the 37’s with the still stock gears and D30/44 axles. I knew I had to behave but I couldn’t help it
IMG_0346.jpg

How about another trip out on the Pony Express with some new friends
IMG_0426.jpg

Had to wait until February for some real snow here in Utah but it did finally come and I just had to go play.
IMG_0501.jpg

Shortly after, I was able to make a great deal work out on a new axle setup. While I was planning on being gentle until I could afford a set of PR44/PR60’s. This particular opportunity to run a newly built tera44 HD axle complete with shafts gears and locker for less than what I paid in wheels and tires. Also included was new gears for the rear and new rear 35 spline shafts and arb locker. So I jumped on and haven’t regretted. It.
It also allowed me to play hard and still save for the eventual XD60 package I want down the road.

So now I can have some proper fun
Back out to Moab to test the upgrades by running triple threat with me good friend and WAYALIFE member JJK
IMG_0783.jpg
IMG_0778.JPG
IMG_0799.JPG

And this is why
IMG_0761.JPG

Some more local fun
IMG_1051.jpg
IMG_1052.jpg

I got a good deal on these sliders but, good deal or not. These Teraflex sliders are essentially just overbuilt steps. Upgrading these is next
IMG_2350.jpg

Being that I live in northern Utah. Moab is just too close to not spend time in.
IMG_0894.jpeg
IMG_0951.jpeg

Waving to everyone from her favorite rock
IMG_0886.jpg

And this is what it’s all about.
IMG_1582.jpg

Without the Jeep and the WAYALIFE family, memories such as this wouldn’t quite be possible.

Last trip of the season
IMG_2608.jpg
IMG_2650.JPG

Last edited:
And here it finally happened.
We’ve hit 150k on our 2014 JKU sport.
Lots of great memories and every mile has been worth it.
IMG_2655.jpg

A few more parting shots and random pics
IMG_2634.jpg
IMG_2627.jpg
IMG_2598.jpg

It’s always better with friends
IMG_5602.JPG
IMG_1634.jpg
IMG_2342.jpg
Even if they drive a Toyota
IMG_1127.jpg
Or they’re bigger and from Texas
IMG_0783.jpg

And finally, our first snow of the year fell today. Granted it came down up in our mountains but I couldn’t resist
IMG_2695.jpg
IMG_2698.jpg

Over the last two years I’ve been extremely lucky to meet some great people in the off-road community. But it’s the folks here on WAYALIFE that truly make owning a Jeep... well... a WAYALIFE. I thank each and every one of you for letting me and my family be a part of the forum and the rides we have joined some of you on. I especially thank Eddie and Cindy for all they do. Without them, this wouldn’t exist and I’d likely still be fucking around with my old FJ60.

TrailHunter

Hooked
I remember the thread when you got stuck... and then getting to hang out on the New Years run was cool. You had just put new wheels on w/ 35’s. Looking forward to seeing the 37’s up close. [emoji1417]

I remember the thread when you got stuck... and then getting to hang out on the New Years run was cool. You had just put new wheels on w/ 35’s. Looking forward to seeing the 37’s up close. [emoji1417]

That was great meeting you there. I’m looking forward to the next one in a few months. You guys gonna try and make it again?

Lojo

I’m learning stories such as this and the people are all part of owning a Jeep and getting out. I truly enjoy reading about others experiences and can’t wait to make some of my own!! Thanks for sharing!!

Jsouder53

Hooked
What a story [emoji106] you have one awesome looking Jeep! I really like the shiny wheels and black Jeep. It’s making me want your wheels lol and makes me think I can get away with 37s [emoji23]

What a story [emoji106] you have one awesome looking Jeep! I really like the shiny wheels and black Jeep. It’s making me want your wheels lol and makes me think I can get away with 37s [emoji23]

Haha that’s the issue I had. We had some 37’s ordered for a customer and they backed out. I got a hell of a deal on them and my 35’s we’re toast so I just said fuck it knowing I was getting ready to do an axle upgrade anyway.

Congrats on the 150k. Holy cow that’s a lot of miles, but then it isn’t. Lol But she’s running strong!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks. Yeah she’s still going strong. Albeit she does make a little more noise than she used to and uses about a quart of oil every 3000 miles but otherwise still solid. A couple weeks ago I was tempted to sell it and start over with a JLUR but I just can’t let this one go. Too many memories.

benatc1

Hooked
Very cool story and thanks for showing your evolution! 150k is alot of good miles! I'm at 125 on my 14 so have some catching up to do!

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Great story! Awesome that you have pics along the way. My kids call the rig the “memory mobile”.... and this is why. My oldest is already asking if he can have it when he’s old enough to drive. Lol. Keep jeepin through those miles and making more memories [emoji482]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
Great story and pics! 150K is a great start my '12 Durango just rolled over 247k on the same motor/tranny combo. Our story is similar, as I know a lot of others here as well. Jeeps are to me gateway vehicles to a lifestyle like very few vehicles are. We arrange things around getting out and getting away from everything. Seeing things you know few people can get out to see. It's pretty awesome! It's funny when people tell me they could never drive a vehicle like this because of the gas mileage, or it rides too rough, etc, etc. They just don't get it. Sad what they're missing out on....

Top Bottom