Need spare tire lock idea for Genright and Evo tire carriers?

MericaMade

What or how are you guys locking up your spare tire with the cage tire mounts? Are you drilling a hole through the threaded pole and running a pad lock through it? I would think that there are other ways to lock the tire beside running a trailer lock through one of the pin lock locations or drilling the threaded pole.

Also, for the license plate/3rd light relocate,are you guys running the wiring into the jeep between the weather stripping and tail gate where it closes on passenger side?

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Is spare tire theft a problem in your area? I have never given any thought to locking mine up. As for the wiring on my Genright carrier, I ran it in through the side of my passenger taillight.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

MericaMade

Is spare tire theft a problem in your area? I have never given any thought to locking mine up. As for the wiring on my Genright carrier, I ran it in through the side of my passenger taillight.

You just never know with people these days. So your wiring comes right out of the cage and crosses over a few inches right into the tail light?

zimm

Caught the Bug
I ran my wiring out of the right tail light hole and down between the body and corner armor. Then it gets zip tied along the tubes up to the plate mount.

For anti-theft, I thought it would be better to get some sort of locking 1/2" pin for rack itself. That way, not only is the tire secure, but nobody can get in the back of the jeep either (can't open the rack).

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
I ran my wiring out of the right tail light hole and down between the body and corner armor. Then it gets zip tied along the tubes up to the plate mount.

For anti-theft, I thought it would be better to get some sort of locking 1/2" pin for rack itself. That way, not only is the tire secure, but nobody can get in the back of the jeep either (can't open the rack).

That's not a bad idea. Something like a locking hitch pin should work well. I'm not near my jeep right now, but I'm not sure if the Genright carrier uses 1/2 pin, I'm thinking it might be smaller.

Last edited:
For what it’s worth my gf’s childhood neighborhood down in Florida has been hit recently with a rash of “wake up to find your vehicle sitting on cinderblocks”. Had me thinking of ways to at least lock up the spare somehow, but my locksmith brother said most of the lug locks can be removed easily with vice grips and that a lot of the “crews” even just have master keys, especially for the vehicle manufacturer ones.

jdofmemi

☝️
That, and you can buy a stripped lug nut remover tool, and it works great on locking lug nuts. Probably faster than you can do it with the right key.

One of those on a good cordless impact and the thieves are gone in a flash.

It should be legal to just shoot them when you catch them

J

JKDream

For what it’s worth my gf’s childhood neighborhood down in Florida has been hit recently with a rash of “wake up to find your vehicle sitting on cinderblocks”. Had me thinking of ways to at least lock up the spare somehow, but my locksmith brother said most of the lug locks can be removed easily with vice grips and that a lot of the “crews” even just have master keys, especially for the vehicle manufacturer ones.

Not saying you're wrong, but I'd really like to see someone take off a torqued lug nut with vice grips.
I've had the luxury of having to remove one of those stupid McGard locking lugs on an old car, it's not nearly as easy as you'd think.
I ended up having to cut it apart with a grinder after trying a bunch of different things including one of those stripped lug tools.
After that I vowed to never run them again (the locking key sheared apart).

Stotch

Caught the Bug
I just have a cable and pad lock running through the carrier and spare tire. It's not going to stop a determined criminal, but it's something. It also comes in handy when I'm carrying bikes or something on the cargo rack. And when I've left the doors at camp I use it to lock the doors to a tree. Lots of birds, one stone.

MericaMade

I guess the only way to really go about this for the purpose of how I'm going to use it it's just drill a hole to through the threaded mounting dowel and just run a padlock through it.

I don't want to have to unlock a trailer hitch lock every single time I go to open the rear of my vehicle. I would prefer just to have the standard self locking pins in there but have the Tire walk down there and only need to unlock that key lock if and when I'm taking the rear tire off.

I was just hoping there was something out there that I didn't know about.

Top Bottom