Toaster Jeep Rescue/Naches Trail

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
This last weekend, a few friends of mine and myself decided to tackle the Naches Trail here in Washington. We knew we were running out of time because the snow is starting to come down up there and we wanted to try it sooner than later.
IMG_2815.jpg

Started on the Lower Naches trail which is challenging when dry but even more so when wet. Steep hill climbs mixed with rocks and mud brought pucker factor into the conversation.
IMG_2824.jpg
IMG_2844.jpg
IMG_2846.jpg
IMG_2850.jpg

20 minutes into the trail a brake caliper broke off the 1974 FJ in the group. We removed it, pinched the line, bled the brakes and moved on.
IMG_2853.jpg
IMG_2873.jpg

The area up there is very nice and we soon found snow around 6,000 ft.
IMG_2867.jpg
IMG_6402.jpg
IMG_2917.jpg
IMG_2926.jpg
IMG_2929.jpg
IMG_2927.jpg

Shortly after this sign we ran across this Renegade that passed us earlier. I stopped to ask if he was alright and he had said that he broke a tie rod. So we stopped to see what we could do. Klungly jumped out quickly to lend a hand. We worked on it for over an hour but it was quickly becoming dark and the temps were already in the 40s. We really wish we had a welder but since we didn’t we tried to splint it the best we could. It worked initially but failed soon after getting underway. At that point I told the couple to jump in and we would get them off the mountain. They were thankful and jumped in. We ended up just driving them home since it was on the way for us. One lesson learned was that you should never wheel alone. Overall, it was a great day.
IMG_2930.jpg
IMG_2932.jpg
IMG_2931.jpg
IMG_2933.jpg
IMG_2937.jpg
IMG_6485.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

GraniteWilly

Great job, glad to see things worked out.

A friend and I ran that trail last Friday as well. I’ve lived nearby my whole life and have only ever ridden dual sport bikes up there. Can’t believe it took so long to bring the Jeep, we had a blast!

Last edited:

GTJeeper

Love that trail section, I’ve only run it dry mid summer so imagine the lower section and the long steep hill climb were pretty tough.
Hopefully that renegade didn’t get vandalized or anything as it sounds like you guys had to leave it on the trail.

robx251

Caught the Bug
That’s awesome you helped out. I hope they are able to get it out soon and maybe carry a spare tie rod and tools next ride. After all its experiences like this by either ourselves or others we know that help us learn what to put in our kit.

2016 JK Rubicon
315 70 17 BFG AT ko2
2.5 budget boost
10k Winch/stubby bumper
Trucklites
TYT9800 / Pro510XL
KC1IMA

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
Unfortunately we had to leave it but they had a plan to come back the next day with a buddy who had a JKU. I was also thinking that a spare tie rod would be a good thing to have with an IFS rig.

Ddays

Hooked
Nice job! ^^

I'm always amazed how few tools, let alone spare parts people carry around with them. I understand if you're only on pavement but anyone that's going to push a vehicle offroad has to be prepared for a break. Especially guys with modified rigs. It's not like you can stop by the local NAPA & get parts off the shelf. (LOL, one of the reasons my rig weighs 6000lbs :crazyeyes:)

fiend

Caught the Bug
That tie rod is about as thick as my pinky. Just shows that the renegade is not off-road worthy, beyond smooth fire roads.

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
Nice job! ^^

I'm always amazed how few tools, let alone spare parts people carry around with them. I understand if you're only on pavement but anyone that's going to push a vehicle offroad has to be prepared for a break. Especially guys with modified rigs. It's not like you can stop by the local NAPA & get parts off the shelf. (LOL, one of the reasons my rig weighs 6000lbs :crazyeyes:)

I always get frustrated when people break down on the trail or need a basic tool and they didn’t bring anything.

I've run that trail before...did you guys go up to Fun Rocks or Moon Rocks?...

No, we just did the Naches Trail. We ended up getting off early since we spent so much time with the Renegade.

Top Bottom