MT/R Kevlar vs Nitto Trail Grappler

ElDunas

I’m planning on upgrading to 35s on my 2011 Sport. I’ve been going back and forth between both tires and I don’t know which would be better to run. I don’t plan on re-gearing, so leaning towards the lighter tire. What do you guys think???

robx251

Caught the Bug
Can’t go wrong with either one. Both great tires. I do prefer symmetry and would go with the Nittos only for that reason. But I currently have an MTR as a spare

2016 JK Rubicon
315 70 17 BFG AT ko2
2.5 budget boost
10k Winch/stubby bumper
Trucklites
TYT9800 / Pro510XL
KC1IMA

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Can’t go wrong with either one. Both great tires. I do prefer symmetry and would go with the Nittos only for that reason. But I currently have an MTR as a spare

2016 JK Rubicon
315 70 17 BFG AT ko2
2.5 budget boost
10k Winch/stubby bumper
Trucklites
TYT9800 / Pro510XL
KC1IMA

False. MTR’s suck donkey dick.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
The old MTR’s were badass but I’ve mostly heard shitty reviews from the new style. I have nothing but good things to say about Trail Grapplers. I personally wouldn’t spend that kind of coin on a tire I’ve heard so much negative about.

ElDunas

The old MTR’s were badass but I’ve mostly heard shitty reviews from the new style. I have nothing but good things to say about Trail Grapplers. I personally wouldn’t spend that kind of coin on a tire I’ve heard so much negative about.

Does it matter that I’m not regearing and running such a heavy tire? Sorry if it sounds like a dumb question just a newbie looking for some advice. Also if you have other tire suggestions I’m open to any.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Does it matter that I’m not regearing and running such a heavy tire? Sorry if it sounds like a dumb question just a newbie looking for some advice. Also if you have other tire suggestions I’m open to any.

What gears do you have. You won’t notice the weight difference between the two tires. It’ll be a dog either way and you will feel a difference from running a 35.

jdofmemi

The tire weight is not going to make enough difference to notice. The size is what matters.
The distance from the axle to the ground is like a lever. With a lever, when it gets longer it is easier to move, but with tires the ground has the easy end and your Jeep is turning it from the short(hard) end.

Also on the tire weight, the MTR is lighter mainly because the sidewalls are not as thick.

Nespoli1

I have the MTR now and ran 3.73 for 3 years before regearing . It’s not that bad. You can do 80 down freeway no problem. Mine is a daily driver too. But don’t dare forget to rotate them. If u coup them there is no saving them. However I am sure that is true for any mud tire. Look into STT Pro. Very popular and true to spec.

J

JKDream

Another vote here to stay away from the MTR's. Worst tires I've ever run.
Wouldn't balance at all, sidewalls surprisingly weak, didn't grip for shit on anything.
I'd probably run a Chinese tire before buying these again.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Another vote here to stay away from the MTR's. Worst tires I've ever run.
Wouldn't balance at all, sidewalls surprisingly weak, didn't grip for shit on anything.
I'd probably run a Chinese tire before buying these again.

This ^^^^^

Without question, the MT/R with Kevlar are the worst tires I’ve ever run. I real shame too being that they look so cool.

I’d light myself on fire before I ran another set of MT/R. Ran them on my land cruiser and among them being impossible to balance, they chunked easily and I cut two sidewalls in an area where I’d never had an issue before running my BFG’s. Mileage was also terrible. Look into the coopers. Trail tested. Tough as nails, priced right and you’ll get good mileage out of them if you do your part.

Well, that statement should make a potential buyer's decision very easy if they're considering this tire.

Just trying to do my public duty [emoji6] That being said I did like my Nitto trail grapplers or at least until they started to wear and develop a radial pull but that could have just been due to how that particular set wore.

jasont0311

Caught the Bug
I was impressed when I put my used Trail grapplers on my new Slabs and didn't need any balancing. I've also beat the shit out of them with no issues.

BaddestCross

Was also looking into the Mud Grapplers, really like the look. Anybody have an experience with these or any advice?

Good tire if you don’t mind a really loud ride.

☝️ This. I was going back and forth between them for my 37s. I think the Muds are better for icy roads, but my Jeep is loud enough as it is and I didn't wanna give my wife any more excuses to hate riding in it. 🤣

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Top Bottom