Thread: JK completely dead. Can't jump it. Zero power.

Question JK completely dead. Can't jump it. Zero power.

So for the last month or so once in a while my 2010 would die out on the trail. That devolved to the battery not charging light coming on for the last week or so which i ignored. Then that devolved into the jeep not always starting.... I would just get one ignition click and would have to fedangle with the battery cables until the jeep would start. then when I was coming back from a road trip a few days ago I would get a ding every few seconds with the dash lights flashing and the speedo not reading momentarily. I assumed it was just a weak ground connection and carried on home. This then turned into today, my jeep not starting at all. I cleaned the terminals and all my aftermarket wiring which didn't help. So I bought a nice new (now agr) battery, made sure all of the og connections were snug. I didn't even bother to connect anything but the battery connections. That still didn't work. I tried jumpstarting both batteries to no avail. Now I'm left with a bricked jeep. I don't think this is a battery issue (ill buy a multimeter tomorrow) and I checked that all of my fuses were in. wut do? fried pcm?

Sounds like a bad alternator to me. If you can get it started, while the Jeep is running, check the charging voltage at the battery. Using a DVOM, make sure it's set up to read voltage and put the red lead on the positive battery terminal and the black lead on the negative terminal. I don't know exact specifications but it really shouldn't drop below 13.5 volts while running.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Nothing but a Thing QuicksilverJK's Avatar
    What WJCO said on the voltage is true. 13.5-14.5 is a good rule of thumb.
    What is puzzling is that now with a fresh battery you can't get it started. I have seen starter solenoids burn out by being operated at low voltage multiple times. If it's a manual you could roll start it to verify if you have a starter problem.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by QuicksilverJK View Post
    What WJCO said on the voltage is true. 13.5-14.5 is a good rule of thumb.
    What is puzzling is that now with a fresh battery you can't get it started. I have seen starter solenoids burn out by being operated at low voltage multiple times. If it's a manual you could roll start it to verify if you have a starter problem.

I would be looking for an open ground. Perhaps the ground at the ECU.

Caught the Bug
    Does anything turn on (like dash lights or radio or anything) when you turn the key to ON?

lol so it was just a loose connection. ive replaced the battery multiple times and i somehow still screw it up. theyre so sensitive

So lucky!!! I’ve been chasing a gremlin with my truck since April.... 3 different shops and no go still.... so I know what you went through!! Glad to hear you found it..!!

Caught the Bug
    Quote Originally Posted by supercell View Post
    lol so it was just a loose connection. ive replaced the battery multiple times and i somehow still screw it up. theyre so sensitive
    Glad you got it figured out!

Quote Originally Posted by Lojo View Post
    So lucky!!! I’ve been chasing a gremlin with my truck since April.... 3 different shops and no go still.... so I know what you went through!! Glad to hear you found it..!!

Hope you can find out what's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by PEACEMAKER1 View Post
    Glad you got it figured out!

Hope you can find out what's going on.
    Thanks!! Swapping injectors now so we shall see.. failed a bubble test so air is getting in. Fingers crossed!!