Evo corner and aftermarket tire carrier help!

I’ll finally be installing my evo builders corners with flares this weekend and have a question. I have a dv8 tire carrier that has a mounting bracket that attaches where the corners meet the beginning of the tail gate. Will I be able to install the nurserts into the corners themselves for the tire carrier bracket or should I just get longer bolts and do the nurserts into the JK body?

Attachments

• 5277AF52-C30E-464C-A59F-6453E2EBD086.jpg
    5277AF52-C30E-464C-A59F-6453E2EBD086.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 195

fiend

Caught the Bug
I would not rely on nutserts to hold a tire carrier as you seem to be suggesting. That’s a lot of weight. Maybe I’m just not understanding what you have in mind.

I think the Evo tire carrier attaches to brackets that are welded to the corners, which in turn are attached to the body with many nutserts in two planes that are perpendicular to one another. That seems to be strong enough to support a tire carrier and tire.

I have a dv8 carrier. So I’m either going to have to drill through the corner armor and mount as it is now and have the bracket above the corners and installed as normal or was going to see about mounting it via nurserts.

After your comment and explaining my thinking I think drilling through holes in the corners and installing as normal is the more logical route. Lol

zimm

Caught the Bug
Drill through the corners and body and through bolt. The EVO tire carrier brackets are bolted through that way, not welded.

Pop the tail light out and feel in there with your hand before you drill. You might land on a pinch seam. The EVO brackets land on several seams....

Exodus 4x4

Drill through the corners and body and through bolt. The EVO tire carrier brackets are bolted through that way, not welded.

Pop the tail light out and feel in there with your hand before you drill. You might land on a pinch seam. The EVO brackets land on several seams....

Why can’t they be welded?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

zimm

Caught the Bug
Why can’t they be welded?

Well in my case, the corners are aluminum. If you have steel corners, there's no reason they can't be welded. Unless you're like me and change your mind all the time. I just removed the body mount and went to a hinge mount for daily driver duties. It was nice to remove the brackets with 8 bolts. They can always go back on in 30 minutes.

Last edited:

Exodus 4x4

I was under the impression you had to use the bolts through the body to help support the weight of the carrier and tire. Otherwise you are depending on the nutserts the skins are screwed into to carry the load, no? Are they rated for that?

They seem to be holding up just fine on all the ones I’ve built that way.

zimm

Caught the Bug
I was under the impression you had to use the bolts through the body to help support the weight of the carrier and tire. Otherwise you are depending on the nutserts the skins are screwed into to carry the load, no? Are they rated for that?

That is a good point. When I took out the bolts for the brackets, the skins flexed away from the body enough to break the silicone sealant beads on top. Those bolts going through the thicker sheet metal offer way more support than just the nutserts. Maybe someone should ask Evo?

I thought you meant welding AND bolting.

Benito

Caught the Bug
I would not rely on nutserts to hold a tire carrier as you seem to be suggesting. That’s a lot of weight. Maybe I’m just not understanding what you have in mind.

I think the Evo tire carrier attaches to brackets that are welded to the corners, which in turn are attached to the body with many nutserts in two planes that are perpendicular to one another. That seems to be strong enough to support a tire carrier and tire.

You can weld the brackets to the corners but the install is meant to be bolted through the corners and the body of the Jeep.

fiend

Caught the Bug
You can weld the brackets to the corners but the install is meant to be bolted through the corners and the body of the Jeep.

Gotcha. Just going by what I have seen on some buddies’ rigs. I don’t have the EVO set up myself.

Exodus 4x4

That is a good point. When I took out the bolts for the brackets, the skins flexed away from the body enough to break the silicone sealant beads on top. Those bolts going through the thicker sheet metal offer way more support than just the nutserts. Maybe someone should ask Evo?

I thought you meant welding AND bolting.

Don’t overthink it. I’m only bringing it up because I see people say this and without any real reason to support their claim. Welding is an option. It definitely involves more commitment but if you’re running 40’s there’s a real good chance you’re not going to run a different carrier anyways. If you really believe those little bolts going through that paper thin sheet metal are going to make the difference, then by all means go for it.

I’ve welded them on and seen guys fall back into rocks with their tire carriers without any damage happening. Real world experience. It’s an option, not the end all, be all.

My passenger side turned out okay, Ill definitey be filling in the crack around the corner but can live with it. The drivers side will be a disaster as I lost fitment mid drilling. Ill be ovalling out the mounting holes to line up my remaining nutserts and will through bolt the tire carrier. Of course I have to trim my bracket due to the taillight housings as well. i will be happy when it's done and I can give the corners and my rear quarter panels a nice touch up paint and be done! Thanks ya'll! corners install.jpg

Exodus 4x4

My passenger side turned out okay, Ill definitey be filling in the crack around the corner but can live with it. The drivers side will be a disaster as I lost fitment mid drilling. Ill be ovalling out the mounting holes to line up my remaining nutserts and will through bolt the tire carrier. Of course I have to trim my bracket due to the taillight housings as well. i will be happy when it's done and I can give the corners and my rear quarter panels a nice touch up paint and be done! Thanks ya'll! View attachment 312758

Good work on the flares! I’ve built some for a customer and then had others ask me to build them some as well, until they hear the price. People don’t realize how much time really goes into these and can’t appreciate good fab work or it’s cost. I’ve even tried to make it cheaper by getting a CNC tube bending shop involved and they wouldn’t touch it.

austin160

E6A8C605-FF27-4D59-975F-C721A936CC42.jpg

I just installed the same a couple weeks ago. I removed the DV8 carrier I had for the Evo carrier. I didn’t have any problems with holes from the DV8 interfering with the EVO corners. I still need to get the correct bolts to mount the tire mounts to the corners. I really like the look and quality of EVO over other stuff I’ve had.

Top Bottom