Help with offcenter (?) rear axle after coilover conversion

After many hours finally have the EVO coilovers installed, 8 adjustable control arms, and front driveshaft. We’re noticing the rear seems to be off center(?) or kicks too much from side to side when on the ground and in the air. Seems to shift to the passenger side when on its weight and shift way over to the driver when up in the air. Here are some pictures I thought could be helpful to diagnose. I can try taking more or answer any questions that might help. IMG_1458.jpg IMG_1456.jpg IMG_1455.jpg IMG_1454.jpg IMG_1452.jpg IMG_1450.jpg IMG_1446.jpg IMG_1445.jpg IMG_1444.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

J

JKDream

It's normal. The trackbar will push or pull the axle to either side when it articulates.
You're probably noticing it more from the increased suspension travel with the coilovers.
Nothing to worry about.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
I see you have the raised track bar mount which will get you close depending on how high you have your suspension set. You ultimately want to be near center on the ground (after letting everything set in). Like JKDream said, Letting the suspension go to full droop or articulating will cause the axle to shift and is totally normal.
If it is really noticeable on the ground you could go with an adjustable track bar, or set your coil overs a tad lower.
Your axle center will change day to day just based on carrying extra weight (gear, passengers etc)

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Both front and rear axles love with weight. You can try correcting with adjustable track bar but when you load it up or add a full tank of fuel or put 4 people in there it won’t be centered anymore.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Are you sure? Assuming you’re talking about the rear axle, this is the opposite of how it normally works.

This ^^^^

Being that the track bar is connected to the frame on the passenger side and on the axle on the driver side, it should be the other way around.

Are you sure? Assuming you’re talking about the rear axle, this is the opposite of how it normally works.

Yes. On the ground I have more room at the driver side for the end link. When I lift the vehicle off the ground however the link on the driver side winds up pushed into the tire.

I do have a full tank of gas but I’ll see what happens when I also load all my tools and old parts into the back. We didn’t finish til 4am so am about to take it out to see how it feels on the road.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yes. On the ground I have more room at the driver side for the end link. When I lift the vehicle off the ground however the link on the driver side winds up pushed into the tire.

I do have a full tank of gas but I’ll see what happens when I also load all my tools and old parts into the back. We didn’t finish til 4am so am about to take it out to see how it feels on the road.

I assume you're referring to the sway bar end links? If so, how much back spacing do your wheels have? Also, try prying the sway bar over a bit.

I assume you're referring to the sway bar end links? If so, how much back spacing do your wheels have? Also, try prying the sway bar over a bit.

Yes the sway bar end links. (Edit: I just pried it over a bit as suggested and am able to get the tip of my finger between bolt head and tire at the top of endlink for each side)To be honest I got the wheels over a year ago and can’t remember the backspacing but I do remember it being something I considered at the time and even made the purchase over the phone to make sure I had it right. This is the purchase order for the wheels/tires if it helps. IMG_1459.JPG

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yes the sway bar end links. (Edit: I just pried it over a bit as suggested and am able to get the tip of my finger between bolt head and tire at the top of endlink for each side)To be honest I got the wheels over a year ago and can’t remember the backspacing but I do remember it being something I considered at the time and even made the purchase over the phone to make sure I had it right. This is the purchase order for the wheels/tires if it helps.

Sorry, didn't see anything that would help me figure out what back spacing you have but it sounds like you have too much. A set of wheel spacers should fix that though.

Sorry, didn't see anything that would help me figure out what back spacing you have but it sounds like you have too much. A set of wheel spacers should fix that though.

Thanks, I’ll have to order up a set. I’m assuming it’s necessary to add them on the front as well?

For the time being I’ll just have to be mindful of checking it this week when I’m driving. Think I should be fine unless I hit some serious bumps.

Last edited:

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug
If those are the black rhino warlords, if I remember correctly the bs is right at 4.5 at least that's about what it was for the 18x9 version.

Bierpower

Hooked
From the look of that invoice I would assume that your wheel offset is the (-12) at the top meaning that you are 12mm inboard from the center of the wheel. That would put you at roughly 4" of backspace. I think most are running a 3.5" backspace on a setup like this.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug
Yeah this sounds about right. It would also make sense in looking at the Rancho 2” sport lift requirements which is what I did at the time.

I can't remember what the backside of the wheel looks like but I know they do make 1" spacers that would get you out of a bind. I think veruge144 ordered a set not to long ago. I can't remember where he got them.

Thanks everyone for helping out. Got home and it was a great ride at all speeds! Only thing was recentering the steering wheel for the ABS/Traction Control.

Also realized after a loud thud I managed to put one bumpstop backwards -_- but I’ll chalk that up to doing it at 3 am.

Will get the spacers some time this week to put my mind at ease.

PEACEMAKER1

Thanks everyone for helping out. Got home and it was a great ride at all speeds! Only thing was recentering the steering wheel for the ABS/Traction Control.

Also realized after a loud thud I managed to put one bumpstop backwards -_- but I’ll chalk that up to doing it at 3 am.

Will get the spacers some time this week to put my mind at ease.

I think the backspacing feedback is good. You should also measure from a consistent point on the tires to the chassis on both sides to get an idea of how center your axles are in general, just to have an idea. If it was more off center than you think, it would be nice to prioritize an adjustable track bar for improved handling and everything.

I think the backspacing feedback is good. You should also measure from a consistent point on the tires to the chassis on both sides to get an idea of how center your axles are in general, just to have an idea. If it was more off center than you think, it would be nice to prioritize an adjustable track bar for improved handling and everything.

Yeah ride quality has been superb so far and no rubbing of the end links on the tires but that’s on road. 1.5” spacers are arriving today so hopefully that is the fix.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
From the look of that invoice I would assume that your wheel offset is the (-12) at the top meaning that you are 12mm inboard from the center of the wheel. That would put you at roughly 4" of backspace. I think most are running a 3.5" backspace on a setup like this.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app
-12mm offset on a 17x9 like it shows on invoice is 4.5bs not 4. And u need 3.5 with that setup to prevent rubbing per evo. That's your problem.

The wheel spacers should fix it as you'll basically have 3" bs now. You'll notice there steering is wider due to the everyon from that low bs but it's manageable

Sent from my SM-G960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:
Top Bottom