Question for those who wheel in different states?

wibornz

So when traveling and off roading, does your state accept off road trail permit from other states or do I have to buy a permit for each state?

Ddays

Hooked
So when traveling and off roading, does your state accept off road trail permit from other states or do I have to buy a permit for each state?

I've never heard of state permits. There are none required in Pa that I know of.

Honor2afault

Caught the Bug
Thus far, states that require off roading permits Do Not transfer between each other. You will need to get one in the state, if it requires it. Take note that most states Do Not require them and those that do usually have them available at the park entrances.
Add Texas to the list that requires them.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I wasn’t totally clear on it when wheeling in Oregon so I went ahead and got a permit. Can’t remember if it was only required on state lands or what the deal was. Hopefully some OR guys on here can clear it up. I also remember there being a requirement of fire extinguisher and shovel. I’m sure there’s other states that require ORV permits as well and I’d be shocked if any of them would recognize a permit for another state.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Lojo

Interesting... I never would have thought one was needed... but I did get a 4 wheel drive ticket going out to Sand Mountain Nevada because I had Ca plates. So never know.

longarmwj

Georgia doesn't require one. Neither does Tennessee, or either of the Carolinas. I do believe Florida requires one for some areas. When I was in Florida back in June, the original plan was to drive from one side of the Everglades to the other all offroad, but when I called the office to inquire if they had any maps they could send me ahead of time to pre-map a route, they told me that a pass was required, and an entire vehicle inspection had to be performed at one of their approved centers. I had never heard of anything like that before.

In fact, it was a three step process. First you had to obtain an Operator Permit which requires taking an online course, and then filling something out, and then presenting it to the Offroad Office down there. Secondly, you have to have a vehicle inspection. They check for things like tread depth and how loud your exhaust is. Then thirdly, you have to get the annual vehicle permit. It's a process that can only be done in person (with the exception of the online course) on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from 12:30-4:00PM. Needless to say they don't make it easy.

BobNH

Mass requires a permit, even to wheel unmaintained roads. Dumb as shit, and a lot are trying to weed through all the rules to see it it is supposedd to apply to their street legal rigs or not, but it sounds as if more than a few have been ticketed for fully legal rigs not carrying OHV permits.
NH and Vt do not, but they do require you to be road legal as the roads are unmaintained but still legal roads.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

jesse3638

Hooked
Here in CA as long as they are street legal you don't need anything other than current registration. OHV's require a green sticker or red sticker depending on the type. Red sticker vehicles can only be run in certain areas between certain times of the year otherwise they are limited to track use. Non-CA residents are also required to buy one ($15 I think). On federal lands you may have to purchase a use permit if it's a fee use area, ie..Glamis and Dumont. I believe there are similar regulations for state managed areas as well. Most national forests in CA require an Adventure Pass if you plan on parking and leaving your vehicle. If you are ticketed for not having one the fine is just the cost of a day use adventure pass.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

COFRED

I wheel a few times a year in AZ. and they have areas that require a Tonto Pass. There is signage that tell you if it is required and they can be bought at sporting good stores forest service offices ect. That is the only one that I know of in AZ so far. Colorado where I live does not require any passes except for State and Natl. parks but there are no trails in any of them that I know of to go off road driving.

Brute

Hooked
I've never heard of an off road permit required in WA...however, you do need a Discovery Pass if you are in a WA state park, and a NPS pass for National Parks..

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
I wheel a few times a year in AZ. and they have areas that require a Tonto Pass. There is signage that tell you if it is required and they can be bought at sporting good stores forest service offices ect. That is the only one that I know of in AZ so far. Colorado where I live does not require any passes except for State and Natl. parks but there are no trails in any of them that I know of to go off road driving.

Arizona also requires a State Land Trust permit when wheeling on trust land which is all over the place. You need to look at maps as they are not usually marked very well.

98XJ06LJ

Colorado requires a sticker for OHV in national Forest or BLM. If your vehicle has current registration you are good, even if it's out of state.

Texas requires a sticker to drive on some of the beaches where vehicles are allowed but the stickers are sold at area gas stations and stores.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom