Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question for those who wheel in different states?

Interesting... I never would have thought one was needed... but I did get a 4 wheel drive ticket going out to Sand Mountain Nevada because I had Ca plates. So never know.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Georgia doesn't require one. Neither does Tennessee, or either of the Carolinas. I do believe Florida requires one for some areas. When I was in Florida back in June, the original plan was to drive from one side of the Everglades to the other all offroad, but when I called the office to inquire if they had any maps they could send me ahead of time to pre-map a route, they told me that a pass was required, and an entire vehicle inspection had to be performed at one of their approved centers. I had never heard of anything like that before.

In fact, it was a three step process. First you had to obtain an Operator Permit which requires taking an online course, and then filling something out, and then presenting it to the Offroad Office down there. Secondly, you have to have a vehicle inspection. They check for things like tread depth and how loud your exhaust is. Then thirdly, you have to get the annual vehicle permit. It's a process that can only be done in person (with the exception of the online course) on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from 12:30-4:00PM. Needless to say they don't make it easy.
    Captain Imachurity
    2003 WJ Build Thread
    2017 Gobi JKU Build Thread
    2016 Renegade Sport Build Thread

Mass requires a permit, even to wheel unmaintained roads. Dumb as shit, and a lot are trying to weed through all the rules to see it it is supposedd to apply to their street legal rigs or not, but it sounds as if more than a few have been ticketed for fully legal rigs not carrying OHV permits.
    NH and Vt do not, but they do require you to be road legal as the roads are unmaintained but still legal roads.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
    2008 Rubicon

Here in CA as long as they are street legal you don't need anything other than current registration. OHV's require a green sticker or red sticker depending on the type. Red sticker vehicles can only be run in certain areas between certain times of the year otherwise they are limited to track use. Non-CA residents are also required to buy one ($15 I think). On federal lands you may have to purchase a use permit if it's a fee use area, ie..Glamis and Dumont. I believe there are similar regulations for state managed areas as well. Most national forests in CA require an Adventure Pass if you plan on parking and leaving your vehicle. If you are ticketed for not having one the fine is just the cost of a day use adventure pass.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Fresh Catch
    I wheel a few times a year in AZ. and they have areas that require a Tonto Pass. There is signage that tell you if it is required and they can be bought at sporting good stores forest service offices ect. That is the only one that I know of in AZ so far. Colorado where I live does not require any passes except for State and Natl. parks but there are no trails in any of them that I know of to go off road driving.

I've never heard of an off road permit required in WA...however, you do need a Discovery Pass if you are in a WA state park, and a NPS pass for National Parks..

Quote Originally Posted by COFRED View Post
    I wheel a few times a year in AZ. and they have areas that require a Tonto Pass. There is signage that tell you if it is required and they can be bought at sporting good stores forest service offices ect. That is the only one that I know of in AZ so far. Colorado where I live does not require any passes except for State and Natl. parks but there are no trails in any of them that I know of to go off road driving.
    Arizona also requires a State Land Trust permit when wheeling on trust land which is all over the place. You need to look at maps as they are not usually marked very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jkzinger View Post
    Arizona also requires a State Land Trust permit when wheeling on trust land which is all over the place. You need to look at maps as they are not usually marked very well.

https://land.az.gov/individual-famil...online-payment

$20 a year gets you access to 9 million acres of land with a lot of trails.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

All trails on public land in Oregon do require a OHV permit. Tillamook State Forest, for example, requires it. It’s good for the whole state and Oregon does accept some other states permits if that state accepts Oregon’s. Kind of a funny rule.

https://www.oregon.gov/oprd/ATV/Pages/Permits.aspx

Colorado requires a sticker for OHV in national Forest or BLM. If your vehicle has current registration you are good, even if it's out of state.

Texas requires a sticker to drive on some of the beaches where vehicles are allowed but the stickers are sold at area gas stations and stores.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using WAYALIFE mobile app

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12