Rubbing on the factory rock rails... With 35s?

robx251

Caught the Bug
So after installing my new tires that are 35 12.5-17 I had the “luxury” of helping a co-worker help a family friend empty his house out in a downscaling prior to a final move to Florida for the remaining of his years over 90. He has sold the house and needed to employ it.

Anyways to the point. After loading up a trailer and throwing some stuff in the back I noticed that the tires were rubbing on the end of the rubicon factory rock rails I know that with 37s that is common but I haven’t heard of that being a problem with 35s.

2016 JK Rubicon
35-12.5 R17 Radar Renegade R7 MT
2.5 budget boost
10k Winch/stubby bumper
Trucklites
TYT9800 / Pro510XL
KC1IMA

sph801

Definitely a problem. I chopped an inch off when I went to 35's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robx251

Caught the Bug
Definitely a problem. I chopped an inch off when I went to 35's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn’t have to with my BFG ATs

2016 JK Rubicon
2.5 budget boost
10k Winch/stubby bumper
Trucklites
TYT9800 / Pro510XL
KC1IMA

Same issue. I just took off the plastic end caps, cut 1 inch off the back of each rail, rattle canned the ends so they didn't rust and then put the caps back in. No more rubbing!

F

Fionayeti

When I jumped to 37's I had to cut off an inch and a half. No big deal. But with 35's that's strange. The only thing I can think of is if you changed your rear control arms and they were set at the wrong length and were too short. That would move your axle forwards from the stock position. But since the rear axel moves in a slight arc outward, even then it wouldn't hit...so not sure why you're hitting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't remember if I HAD to but I know I did cut off an inch or so when I first bumped up to 35's. I just want the extra clearance. I did the same as others have mentioned. I took off the plastic piece and used a cut off wheel, painted the ends than put the plastic back in.

robx251

Caught the Bug
Haha. No it’s all factory control arms I can daily drive with no problem if I’m not loaded down and hauling a trailer. But that trim is on the list of things to do today or tomorrow

2016 JK Rubicon
2.5 budget boost
10k Winch/stubby bumper
Trucklites
TYT9800 / Pro510XL
KC1IMA

Top Bottom