Steering Stabilizer Science?

MDK210

I’m sure you’ve seen or heard someone talk about running anything from dual stabilizers to no stabilizer at all but have you seen a drag link relocation bracket for one? I only bring this up because I saw a video of a guy installing one that required his stabilizer to be mounted to the frame and connect on the drag link.

So can someone explain the science behind the stock location on the tie rod? I understand what a stabilizer does but I always assumed it was connected to the tie rod to reduce feedback from both knuckle ends. Upon asking the individual his thoughts about the new location he stated that if you think about it the drag link is connected to a knuckle as well. While true it’s also connected to the pitman arm so wouldn’t that cause resistance in the steering? A stabilizer does require force to be applied in order to compress after all.

Thoughts?

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
I did the Rock Krawler drag link flip with a replacement tie rod (Bent my Stock one) and that put the steering stabilizer on top of the tie rod almost perfectly level.

BaddestCross

The TJ has a y-link setup for it's steering. Haven't looked at it that closely, so I don't know how it differs. That being said, I don't have a flipped drag link or raised track bar but I did use a Rancho kit to place the stabilizer above and level with the tie rod to get it out of harm's way.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Torrin

Yup, having a stabilizer is not a bad idea, it is just the stock location sucks and you end up damaging them if you wheel much (it really sucks when it is dented and it is hard to steer). The other issue is too many people trying to solve steering geometry and death wobble issues with a stabilizer. That is when silliness ensues. If you wheel a lot, get a relo kit or go without. I do not love the feel of not having a stabilizer, but I would only run a stock one (or at least I would not pay for more than stock)

jesse3638

Hooked
Yup, having a stabilizer is not a bad idea, it is just the stock location sucks and you end up damaging them if you wheel much (it really sucks when it is dented and it is hard to steer). The other issue is too many people trying to solve steering geometry and death wobble issues with a stabilizer. That is when silliness ensues. If you wheel a lot, get a relo kit or go without. I do not love the feel of not having a stabilizer, but I would only run a stock one (or at least I would not pay for more than stock)
^^^This^^^

After damaging my OEM stabilizer I was looking for a new OEM one. I think they were $70-$80. I ended up going with Rough Country as it came with relocation brackets (already had DL flip) and the new stabilizer for $50. It's worked fine for 5+years. I actually was thinking of unbolting it to see if it's still good..haha. Double stabilizers or high end stabilizers never made much sense to me. Especially when you see them damaged so often. Pressurized stabilizers can actually cause a vehicle to pull to one side as its trying to extend.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom