Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steering Stabilizer Science?

Hooked

Steering Stabilizer Science?

Iím sure youíve seen or heard someone talk about running anything from dual stabilizers to no stabilizer at all but have you seen a drag link relocation bracket for one? I only bring this up because I saw a video of a guy installing one that required his stabilizer to be mounted to the frame and connect on the drag link.

So can someone explain the science behind the stock location on the tie rod? I understand what a stabilizer does but I always assumed it was connected to the tie rod to reduce feedback from both knuckle ends. Upon asking the individual his thoughts about the new location he stated that if you think about it the drag link is connected to a knuckle as well. While true itís also connected to the pitman arm so wouldnít that cause resistance in the steering? A stabilizer does require force to be applied in order to compress after all.

Thoughts?

I think itís just to get it out of the way so you donít smash yours up. Those stabilizers are in a bad spot to begin with and always seem to get hit

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Hooked
    Quote Originally Posted by TrainWreck618 View Post
    I think itís just to get it out of the way so you donít smash yours up. Those stabilizers are in a bad spot to begin with and always seem to get hit

It doesnít seem like it would be nearly as effective though and compromise the steering wheel by creating additional resistance...

I think thatís how the TJ mounted itís SS.

Quote Originally Posted by TrainWreck618 View Post

This^ , My 2014 JK is now on number four, finally put a relocation kit on to try and save this one.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Nothing but a Thing Overland_stormtrooper's Avatar
    While I've seen this cant say if it works or not as I havent had mine on for close to 2 yrs now

Sent from my SM-G892A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Knows a Thing or Two Clearskies's Avatar
    I did the Rock Krawler drag link flip with a replacement tie rod (Bent my Stock one) and that put the steering stabilizer on top of the tie rod almost perfectly level.

The TJ has a y-link setup for it's steering. Haven't looked at it that closely, so I don't know how it differs. That being said, I don't have a flipped drag link or raised track bar but I did use a Rancho kit to place the stabilizer above and level with the tie rod to get it out of harm's way.

--
    Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407
    Build Thread: The Adventures of Fiona
    '08 JKR Rescue Green 2-Door

Hooked
    Yup, having a stabilizer is not a bad idea, it is just the stock location sucks and you end up damaging them if you wheel much (it really sucks when it is dented and it is hard to steer). The other issue is too many people trying to solve steering geometry and death wobble issues with a stabilizer. That is when silliness ensues. If you wheel a lot, get a relo kit or go without. I do not love the feel of not having a stabilizer, but I would only run a stock one (or at least I would not pay for more than stock)
    2017 White JK : (build thread)
    Synergy 3"/2", Dynatrack Trail Leader Package
    Dynatrac Pro Grip Kit, PSC Big Bore Steering Kit
    MCE Fenders, 10th Anniversary Hood, Borla Climber Exhaust
    ATX Slabs, Nitto Trail Grappler 37's
    Shrock Works Front Middy, LoD Destroyer Rear
    Genright Sliders, Warn VR12-S ,

Oh yeah, and VENGEANCE.

The whole system moves together so I canít see any difference in operation. The stabiliser dampens oscillations thatís all

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast