Thinking of adding a HAM radio

I’m considering adding a HAM radio to go along with my cobra 29 CB. Some of the folks I go wheeling with are using HAM exclusively and I’ve heard that range is much better.

Any thoughts on adding it to the COMS I already have or is it a waste of money?

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
I’m considering adding a HAM radio to go along with my cobra 29 CB. Some of the folks I go wheeling with are using HAM exclusively and I’ve heard that range is much better.

I run ham. My radio is modded for CB freq's so it's easy to run one setup. You will need to get a license but it's an easy thing.

robx251

Caught the Bug
I seriously recommend it. I much prefer ham over cb.

2016 JK Rubicon
35-12.5 R17 Radar Renegade R7 MT
2.5 budget boost
10k Winch/stubby bumper
Trucklites
TYT9800 / Pro510XL
KC1IMA

I still prefer CB. I do have a ham hand held but don't want to waste my time getting a license, so I normally always use my CB. Ham seems to be used more by the Overlanding people. Too me it's just a way to spend more money and effort!

Gobicon2017

I’ve got both. And yes the range is nothing like the cb’s. I have a license which covers grms etc... and have used it quite a bit. Still use the cb as well.

IMG_2939.JPG

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
I still prefer CB. I do have a ham hand held but don't want to waste my time getting a license, so I normally always use my CB. Ham seems to be used more by the Overlanding people. Too me it's just a way to spend more money and effort!

The thing about Ham, I've talked to South Africa driving down the road... Pretty neat

I’m thinking maybe a handheld then. It does however blow my mind how many people don’t have a basic coms setup. Especially if you run with a group of people. They will have $500.00 in bullshit they saw on Instagram but no way to actually talk to people.

robx251

Caught the Bug
I’m thinking maybe a handheld then. It does however blow my mind how many people don’t have a basic coms setup. Especially if you run with a group of people. They will have $500.00 in bullshit they saw on Instagram but no way to actually talk to people.

The hand held sets are pretty inexpensive. And can be pretty effective especially when used with repeaters. I can use my $29 5w handheld from in my house to a repeater 28 miles away that is linked with a network link and talk all over the state.

2016 JK Rubicon
35-12.5 R17 Radar Renegade R7 MT
2.5 budget boost
10k Winch/stubby bumper
Trucklites
TYT9800 / Pro510XL
KC1IMA

jesse3638

Hooked
LOL, but you don't get any more likes with coms gear! Fancy foo-foo door handle inserts sure as shit will though!

OK OK, I'll order the ground strap from Amazon and see if that helps my SWR issue...haha. I've just been really lazy and run out of patience dealing with shit like that. It's also why my rear lights aren't hooked up. Not to mention I haven't settled on a switch setup yet.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Clearskies

Caught the Bug

Handhelds will def work. The biggest drawback to a handheld is the antenna, it's terribly inefficient. You can add an antenna to your Jeep and be fine.

The other thing that bugs me besides people without coms is no spare, no extra gas, no winch... or what about tools???

Last spring I was in Moab with probably 15 other Jeeps, someone was running low on gas. Guess who was the ONLY one with spare gas?? Yeah, I had some.

I think you touched a nerve...

jesse3638

Hooked
Handhelds will def work. The biggest drawback to a handheld is the antenna, it's terribly inefficient. You can add an antenna to your Jeep and be fine.

The other thing that bugs me besides people without coms is no spare, no extra gas, no winch... or what about tools???

Last spring I was in Moab with probably 15 other Jeeps, someone was running low on gas. Guess who was the ONLY one with spare gas?? Yeah, I had some.

I do want a winch. Fortunately I've been OK without one. Also I haven't been on a long enough trip where gas was needed, however I always make sure to start with a full tank...haha.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I’m still the guy in most of my groups with air, recovery crap. FOOD that bugs me. Sounds like I need to move this to the 8th slot thread lol.

jdofmemi

I have been know to be missing something here or there, but usually have enough things to go around.

Coms is a work in progress, but the handheld worked good for the Rubicon trip. CB is still not right, but it will be one day.
Food, I usually have enough to get along for several days.

Spare parts, have some, but learning what to add.
Air, with a backup plan
Recovery gear, more than some tow trucks, and I have been where I needed most all of it.
Gas, usually, and now I have new pax, so always.
Welder will get added when I get it sorted out in my spare time.
Tools, usually more than I need, but there may be something missing.
The biggest problem there is learning to pack so what you need is not on the bottom.

The most important part of it is attitude, never give up.

I have been know to be missing something here or there, but usually have enough things to go around.

Coms is a work in progress, but the handheld worked good for the Rubicon trip. CB is still not right, but it will be one day.
Food, I usually have enough to get along for several days.

Spare parts, have some, but learning what to add.
Air, with a backup plan
Recovery gear, more than some tow trucks, and I have been where I needed most all of it.
Gas, usually, and now I have new pax, so always.
Welder will get added when I get it sorted out in my spare time.
Tools, usually more than I need, but there may be something missing.
The biggest problem there is learning to pack so what you need is not on the bottom.

The most important part of it is attitude, never give up.

Attitude really is the big thing. Plus it takes time to know all that you’ll need. I still run into situations where I need something I thought I’d never need.

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
Very true, Attitude is key.
I don't mind in the least helping out. It's taking care of people that have no thought for what may happen and don't plan at all.
I'm the first one to admit I don't have everything and know that I may get caught without something that's needed.
I try to stack the deck against that.

Top Bottom