PSC-SK280 Instructions

bhaner

[h=1]PSC Steering Big Bore XD Cylinder Assist Kit - PSC-SK280[/h]Outside of some generic diagrams the kit didn't come with any instructions. The instructions on PSC's website show the old 3.8L and some different brackets/mounting locations.

Does anyone have instructions for this kit? I called and emailed PSC but no luck yet.

I am looking for some pics of how the reservoir mounts with the factory air box.

I am also looking for the best way to run the cooler lines.

I took the time to remove all the factory hard lines because it looked like none of them would be used. Hopefully that was the right thing to do! The small steel line that goes from the gear box to the factory reservoir was a pain to remove!

Thanks!

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
Unless you ordered the upgraded lines you will have to re-use some of your factory lines. You will have to hack up your factory air box to get the resevoir to fit. There are instructions on their website.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

bhaner

Unless you ordered the upgraded lines you will have to re-use some of your factory lines. You will have to hack up your factory air box to get the cooler to fit. There are instructions on their website.

It looks like I have new lines for everything in the kit. Res to pump, pump to gear box, gear box to cooler, cooler to res. Gear box to cylinder.

I will look again for the air box hacking instructions. But all I found for directions showed the res mounted to the battery box with a different bracket than what I have.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
It looks like I have new lines for everything in the kit. Res to pump, pump to gear box, gear box to cooler, cooler to res. Gear box to cylinder.

I will look again for the air box hacking instructions. But all I found for directions showed the res mounted to the battery box with a different bracket than what I have.

There are multiple kits with different lines so I’m not sure what you bought. They won’t have specific instructions for running the lines, you will need to see and what works best. Here are some photos from my setup.

IMG_7312.jpg IMG_7314.jpg IMG_7317.jpg

It’s a very tight fit with the factory air box, but I heard there is a new bracket that might make it easier. I will eventually put the factory box back in once I figure it out

Clearskies

Caught the Bug

I just put this in a few weeks ago.. Instructions are a pain... escentally non existent. For the reservoir you remove the old one and put the new one in the same location. You probably don't need much modification to the air box. I have an Airaid and I used a heat gun to heat the plastic and mold it to what I needed to clear the new reservoir.

Also, take a look online for a file named HK2098.pdf.. It shows basically how you want the setup to look

Last edited:

bhaner

I just put this in a few weeks ago.. Instructions are a pain... escentally non existent. For the reservoir you remove the old one and put the new one in the same location. You probably don't need much modification to the air box. I have an Airaid and I used a heat gun to heat the plastic and mold it to what I needed to clear the new reservoir.

Also, take a look online for a file named HK2098.pdf.. It shows basically how you want the setup to look

Thanks. That is what I am finding.

The file you listed is what I got with the kit. Just a basic diagram showing what goes where.

bhaner

There are multiple kits with different lines so I’m not sure what you bought. They won’t have specific instructions for running the lines, you will need to see and what works best. Here are some photos from my setup.

View attachment 313184 View attachment 313185 View attachment 313186

It’s a very tight fit with the factory air box, but I heard there is a new bracket that might make it easier. I will eventually put the factory box back in once I figure it out

Thanks for the pics! That helps!

zimm

Caught the Bug
Whoa! I fit the reservoir without cutting up the airbox! Don't do it.

Here's how the res should look. I did cut a little of the black plastic under where the mount bolt too. Make triple sure the 3/4" lines are long enough to go under the airbox without kinking or deforming. I had to go get more 3/4" hose when I made mine too short. Then I used silicone spray on the rubber "sockets" for the airbox and used a lot of weight to seat the lower box.

It'll fit.

View attachment 313188

Last edited:

zimm

Caught the Bug
Something else to think about. If you're doing a new install, get some abrasion covers from the local hose store before installing. After just a few months I nearly wore through the steel braiding of the PSC hoses. I went to a local shop and $100 later had heavier dutier, crimped and sleeved hoses made up. The old ones are now spares. Also keep the metal caps that came with the PSC kit in case you blow a line and need to close off the system so the steering box will still work without the ram.

Here's also a shot on how to mount the cooler so it clears the grill. I later painted in black to blend in.

View attachment 313190 View attachment 313191 View attachment 313192

Ddays

Hooked
YIKES! :eek: I'm glad Zimm posted those pics before bhaner commenced to cuttin'. Mine is identical to Zimms setup - zero cutting and his install looks exactly like mine does. So much so that it's pointless for me to post pics of mine. The newer bracket is nice. Now I'm not saying that it's a perfect fit, because its is pretty tight, but cutting is definitely not needed nor is a CAI or aftermarket intake with the new mount.

Tanktitan

I am planning on making this mod this winter and I have a question for those already running this. I have spoken with PSC and have read their write ups. It seems that the ram may have a noticeable negative effect on-highway, in normal driving. PSC does not seem to strongly recommend the ram unless you are using it to steer up in tight rocks. Zimm commented about closing off the lines to the ram. I am wondering first, if the ram does create issues with on road steering and second, if so, does anyone know of a valve configuration that can be opened and closed to only use the ram when I am in rocks or locked. It would seem to be nice to have a disconnect. If this were done, would the ram act as a stabilizer or would it interfere with normal steering?

Ddays

Hooked
I am planning on making this mod this winter and I have a question for those already running this. I have spoken with PSC and have read their write ups. It seems that the ram may have a noticeable negative effect on-highway, in normal driving. PSC does not seem to strongly recommend the ram unless you are using it to steer up in tight rocks. Zimm commented about closing off the lines to the ram. I am wondering first, if the ram does create issues with on road steering and second, if so, does anyone know of a valve configuration that can be opened and closed to only use the ram when I am in rocks or locked. It would seem to be nice to have a disconnect. If this were done, would the ram act as a stabilizer or would it interfere with normal steering?

What is the "negative" effect? Not sure what or why they would suggest that for - I have had zero issues at all with the PSC system. The only thing noticeable is pulling into a parking spot at slow speeds. You can't whip the wheel around like you can with a conventional system. Other than that zip, nada, zilch. The system is great.

edit: There's no way to unhook this system once it's installed. You're committed at that point. The ram is bolted onto the tie rod and the lines from the pump go through the box and into the ram. Now way around any of that. But again, its a moot point because there are no issues with this system on-road.

Last edited:

Tanktitan

What is the "negative" effect? Not sure what or why they would suggest that for - I have had zero issues at all with the PSC system. The only thing noticeable is pulling into a parking spot at slow speeds. You can't whip the wheel around like you can with a conventional system. Other than that zip, nada, zilch. The system is great.

edit: There's no way to unhook this system once it's installed. You're committed at that point. The ram is bolted onto the tie rod and the lines from the pump go through the box and into the ram. Now way around any of that. But again, its a moot point because there are no issues with this system on-road.

Thanks. That is good to know that there are no issues with on-road steering.

zimm

Caught the Bug
No negatives. I did a 5000 mile road trip with it. I tow a boat or camper. It actually helps on the highway. It’s a tad sensitive just off center. No kickback through the wheel either so 2 fingers on the wheel at 75mph works. Best mod I’ve made.

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
Mine has been on for a few weeks, I did a trip to the Rubicon (500 miles each way) and several commute trips of 75 miles each way. No problems. It steers very easily, certainly better than before. PSC recommends a caster of 7 degrees for best drive ability, I;m not quite there but plan to adjust to that.

As far as turning in parking lots I'n not experienced any issue, if I want to turn all in need is a finger and the wheel turns.. It's amazing.
One issue I've had is a whine while accelerating hard, make sure all the lines are tight and no kinks.

J

JKDream

There's no way to unhook this system once it's installed. You're committed at that point. The ram is bolted onto the tie rod and the lines from the pump go through the box and into the ram. No way around any of that. But again, its a moot point because there are no issues with this system on-road.

I don't know about PSC but on my Hydro Setup the ram is simple to remove.
There's caps you can buy that block the ports going out to the ram, put those on and you are back to a stock steering setup.
I can't imagine PSC doesn't have this option, in the event you blow a line what do you do then?

zimm

Caught the Bug
Psc came with caps. They’re in the glovebox and can be used as you described. Only issue is if the open ram is exposed to rain or mud it’ll suck in water unless you remove it.

Top Bottom