Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: WJ on one tons and 37's

Quote Originally Posted by trplxj View Post
    Honestly you probably donít need that much lift. I could fit 40ís with the lift I have. And I probably will when I wear out these 37ís. I havenít done any trimming at all yet and I have a decent amount of clearance.

All I can say is take your time and measure, measure, measure. I spent the better part of a day just getting my axles sitting under the Jeep were I wanted them. Without having to sacrifice too much sheet metal. Iím building something that is still street legal here on Utah. And comfortable enough that I can drive it everyday if I want. Stability is a big issue for me as well.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Totally agree on the measurements. I was maxed out on mine with 33s but after I swapped the axle, i had more clearance after that from the difference in turning dynamics. It totally changed everything and i bumped up to 35s. Wish I had done the axle swap first and avoided buying my 33s.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Honestly you probably donít need that much lift. I could fit 40ís with the lift I have. And I probably will when I wear out these 37ís. I havenít done any trimming at all yet and I have a decent amount of clearance.

All I can say is take your time and measure, measure, measure. I spent the better part of a day just getting my axles sitting under the Jeep were I wanted them. Without having to sacrifice too much sheet metal. Iím building something that is still street legal here on Utah. And comfortable enough that I can drive it everyday if I want. Stability is a big issue for me as well.

Iíll see how it works out. I could always remove the spacers if I need to. Mine is currently sitting at 8.5 front and 6.5 rear on 35s. HP44/D60 combo with custom 4 link rear and radius arm front. 5.13s, spool with hubs, etc
    image1.jpg

Captain Imachurity
    2003 WJ Build Thread
    2017 Gobi JKU Build Thread
    2016 Renegade Sport Build Thread
    2019 Compass Sport Build Thread

Super cool build. You got skills indeed

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by longarmwj View Post
    Iíll see how it works out. I could always remove the spacers if I need to. Mine is currently sitting at 8.5 front and 6.5 rear on 35s. HP44/D60 combo with custom 4 link rear and radius arm front. 5.13s, spool with hubs, etc
    image1.jpg

Looks good. And looks like you are well on your way. How do like the 35ís and 5.13ís?

WJ on one tons and 37's

Looks good. And looks like you are well on your way. How do like the 35ís and 5.13ís?

I daily drove it with 5.13s and 35s for about a year and a half before I got a designated daily (which ironically is now on 37....funny how that works), and it drove fine. Had plenty of power to satisfy me. It does tend to downshift a lot on slight gradients on the highway but itís not too terrible. MPGs still suck though. If I recall (itís been two years since itís been working lol) I was getting 11 average?

Off-road it was an absolute monster though. You hardly gotta touch the gas to get it to crawl. I can only imagine what it will crawl like when I get the 4:1 Atlas in it.

Captain Imachurity
    2003 WJ Build Thread
    2017 Gobi JKU Build Thread
    2016 Renegade Sport Build Thread
    2019 Compass Sport Build Thread

Well crap. Didnít make much progress today. I got my track bar mounting figured out and finished welding the brackets to the axle and the ďframeĒ. Then I spent a bunch of time making a set of D60 gear set up bearings and races. I had to put the new gears on the open carrier no money right now for the locker.

Got the pinion preload set and the ring gear bolted to the carrier. Installed the carrier and ran the pattern. Looks like I need more pinion depth. Iíll work on it some tomorrow.

No pictures today, too busy swearing at the Jeep. Iíll try and get some pictures tomorrow.

It takes a long time when youíre doing all the work by yourself. My back is killing me from moving that damn axle around.

IMG_1716.JPG

Well my set up bearings for the D60 screwed me over. I got everything set, pressed on my new bearings and everything is too tight.

So I bit the billet and bought a carrier bearing puller so I can use the new bearings and redo the whole damn set up. I found this one on Amazon of all places for way less than the Yukon one. It came from India. I ordered it Sunday and it showed up today.

I gave it a test spin and it worked awesome. Yanked those bearings off like they were nothing.

First thing Saturday morning Iíll be back to setting up the gears, again. I need to bust butt and get this thing done.

IMG_1716.JPG

Well my set up bearings for the D60 screwed me over. I got everything set, pressed on my new bearings and everything is too tight.

So I bit the billet and bought a carrier bearing puller so I can use the new bearings and redo the whole damn set up. I found this one on Amazon of all places for way less than the Yukon one. It came from India. I ordered it Sunday and it showed up today.

I gave it a test spin and it worked awesome. Yanked those bearings off like they were nothing.

First thing Saturday morning Iíll be back to setting up the gears, again. I need to bust butt and get this thing done.

I have that same puller. It is a major time saver. Worth the money.

When you made your setup bearings, were they the exact same brand and part number as your actual installed bearings? If not, they can differ between manufacturers and cause measurements not to end up the same. Been there myself.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    I have that same puller. It is a major time saver. Worth the money.

When you made your setup bearings, were they the exact same brand and part number as your actual installed bearings? If not, they can differ between manufacturers and cause measurements not to end up the same. Been there myself.

No, they are a different brand. I never thought of that being a issue. But I bet youíre 100% right.

With the puller it shouldnít be a issue now. And yeah, worth every penny. Since I donít have the money right now for the selectable locker Iím running the gears on the open carrier. Iíll end up needing to do this all over again when I get the locker in the spring.

I should have bought a puller to begin with. Live and learn.

No, they are a different brand. I never thought of that being a issue. But I bet youíre 100% right.
    Yeah, I bet that's it. Especially if the pinion race that you already put in the housing is a match to one of the bearings, it likely won't match the other brand. It may not be much difference, but enough to fuck up your setup.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast