Busy Season. The Places We Have Gone

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
Howdy,

This season's been a great year for us with Stitch. Certainly an incredibly busy one. For me, I've done at least one personal trip every month for the last 6 months. If I wasn't traveling, I was getting ready to. Or, getting Stitch ready to.

Going way back, we started the year near St. Helen's, Michigan, at Sno*Blind. It's one of 3 or 4 major winter wheeling events each year. (Registration for Sno*Blind '19 is actually only a few days away.) Sno*Blind varies year-to-year. You never know if you'll have 40F and 4" of slush. Or, 9F and 18" of powder. It always makes for great photography though.
2018 Wheeling 800-29.JPG

Of course, what's a Winter wheeling event without snow. While we were north, we watched news reports of our only 'significant' blizzard happening back home. Driving most of the day through heavily snowed expressways, I was quite pleased to be driving Stitch. Plowing down wide-open Jeep-only lanes while others trudged along in the sheeple lane. The day wasn't done quite yet...finally getting home, we'd dodged the bullet. Only 8 or 9" awaited me for snow removal.
2018 Wheeling 800-28.JPG

The season was only starting though. Along the way, various memes helped get us in the right mood (with a Jeep, are you ever not in the mood?)... I'd credit the creator but I've no idea who...
2018 Wheeling 800-18.JPG

Sharing tales of wonderful wheeling, a friend of mine in India, sent me some pics of his Jeep. 7-slots, note Mahindra on the grille. Wheeling knows no bounds :).
2018 Wheeling 800-6.JPG

Couple months later, Mom sent me an email, "Let me know when you want to pick me up...," for Mother's Day. I didn't have to ask. Mom was very up front about it. We were going wheeling at Rocks & Valleys in May.
2018 Wheeling 800-26.jpg

Seems like every time I turn around, if the truck's left open, some strange creature keeps getting in. The older cousin, not so eager. This one, cannot keep her out.
2018 Wheeling 800-25.jpg

Come June, we were back to the St. Helen's area for another event. Another ~40 friends...even though I'd not met half of them before:). Wheeling just seems to consistently bring out the best in folks.
2018 Wheeling 800-24.JPG

Of course, having friends around makes it a lot easier to capture the obligatory 'stuffed' photo. Think how much work that'd have been if I had to break out a tripod, set up the camera, the remote trigger. Good to have friends:).
2018 Wheeling 800-23.JPG

Afterward, Kimberly and I spent a bit of time in Prudenville, Michigan. We toured official state roads. Nothing like deciding it's time for lunch, stopping in the middle of the road for 45 minutes with not a soul to bother you. Beautiful.
2018 Wheeling 800-22.JPG

2018 Wheeling 800-21.jpg

In and around motorcycle trips as well, Stitch carried me up, across bridges, to Escanaba, Michigan. That's the bottom-middle of Michigan's Upper Peninsula. Gorgeous up there.
2018 Wheeling 800-20.JPG
If you've never driven the Might Mac, driven over the steel grates for a few miles, you've missed quite the experience. Do it in rain with 35MPH cross winds only heightens the experience<g>.

Escanaba provided plenty of opportunities for photographs. Alas, very little time. I was there for a fairly full 3-day State DNR ORV safety instructor certification course. Glad I did it.
2018 Wheeling 800-19.JPG

The season just kept giving though. The pinnacle of the season, following month's of prep (and $$), was our road trip to Colorado. Gone for 13 days, we spent time in Rocky Mtn Natl Park.
2018 Wheeling 800-16.JPG

2018 Wheeling 801-1.JPG

Along the way, enjoyed some incredible sunsets.
JTP-20180910-0171.JPG

Oh, and that Black Forest Gear engine oven box for $99? Works just fine. Made the Mrs very happy. Was fun to do.
JTP-20180911-0223.JPG

Family in the area was also happy to spend time with us, show us some sights. It just never ended....very grateful, appreciative.
JTP-20180910-0170.jpg

Wandered over to Telluride, spent the night at just over 9,700' elevation. Even had $20 oxygen bottles in the rooms.
But, my, what a fabulous place (actually, The Madeline, next door, in Mountain Village). Turns out we were literally among the only folks there. Slow season had hit, they had one festival a few days later, then they'd close until late November.
JTP-20180912-0250.JPG

We never stayed put for long. We had ground to cover, more Sunsets to see.
JTP-20180910-0218.JPG

Stitch, taking a break. Just cuz.
JTP-20180912-0267.jpg

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
Pt 2.

Need a meme for these fine guys. They were having a blast, even though the u-boat commander was freezing his arms off lacing a strap around his tow hitch. Under the (until he drove into it) previously iced-over mud bog. Thanked him for taking his turn at providing the morning's entertainment.
2018 Wheeling 800-27.JPG

Though, I have to admit, this is my favorite meme of the season:
2018 Wheeling 800-17.JPG

SW Colorado simply knew no bounds. The trails were wonderful...
2018 Wheeling 800-14.jpg

The views amazing...
2018 Wheeling 800-11.jpg

2018 Wheeling 800-13.JPG

And, of course, waterfalls...
2018 Wheeling 800-10.jpg

Perhaps my favorite shot...
2018 Wheeling 800-9.JPG

One of the best parts of having friends, is being able to share having reached a summit.
2018 Wheeling 800-12.JPG

Problem with summits, is there's only one place to go from there. Down. But, guess what? MORE Friends :)
2018 Wheeling 800-15.jpg

It wasn't all fun 'n games though. Stitch had to earn his keep. Here's patiently waiting for me to finish an early-morning commercial shoot.
2018 Wheeling 800-5.JPG

Bummer of it is, Stitch couldn't make every trip. Last week, we winged south to Austin, to wheel with family and more new friends there :). First time I'd had the opportunity to spend much time driving a JK with 3-4" lift and 37s. Brother Karl (also Wayalife member) let me drive Grey Gryphon around. My, 37s do make traversing challenging terrain easier. As Karl puts it, "[37s] are like getting the cheater codes for your video game." Have to admit, sure seemed like it.

2018 Wheeling 800-3.JPG

2018 Wheeling 800-2.jpg

Last week, it was raining like crazy in Texas. We went wheeling anyway. This 'dry' creek wasn't quite so dry. Water was anywhere up to 24" deep in spots. Larry's JL did just fine.
2018 Wheeling 800-1.jpg

Driving down a fast-moving creek, in steady rain, was certainly exhilarating. My wife loved it.

2018 Wheeling 800-4.JPG

Alas, the season's not done yet! There are still a few more weekends left.

As I look back at this year, it's incredible to think of all the things we wouldn't have done, had it not been for having gotten Stitch. It's a wayalife, it's our life, and I hope you've enjoyed thumbing through this as much as I enjoyed sharing it.

wibornz

Love the pics and thread. I am from Michigan... Lansing area. There are many great trails in Michigan. You mentioned St. Helen. Have you done the trails from St. Helen to Leota?

WJCO

Meme King
Awesome trip pics.

Oh, and this:

Need a meme for these fine guys. They were having a blast, even though the u-boat commander was freezing his arms off lacing a strap around his tow hitch. Under the (until he drove into it) previously iced-over mud bog. Thanked him for taking his turn at providing the morning's entertainment.

hold-my-beer-5bd6ef.jpg

Krazzyk01

It was great having you and Kim out to Austin for a visit. Looking forward to the next trip. Maybe,....I'll come up there to play in the snow......Maybe.

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
Awesome trip pics.
Oh, and this:

Love the meme. Quite appropriate too :).

...You should add one more and join us heading to Tennessee to run Windrock in a couple weeks!

That'd be fun. Alas, other than another short trip somewhere, it's time I settle down and get some stuff done. Projects have been on hold for a while now :)

Love the pics and thread. I am from Michigan... Lansing area. There are many great trails in Michigan. You mentioned St. Helen. Have you done the trails from St. Helen to Leota?

Yes, some of them, actually on the backside of the last trip up there. Had dinner at Trails End Pub. Was funny. My brother, down in Austin, and I were both having dinner with our wives, chatting about how dusty and tired we were after a day on the trails. Only difference was, I was in Michigan, he was in Texas. Funny what technology can let you do now. Sit in a pub, middle o' nowhere, chat with your brother 1400 miles away doing the exact same thing.

:)

Top Bottom