Where the hell’s the spare....

RonG

My son hit a curb with his Cherokee.

56245427235__4AB6F244-86DC-4DC1-B543-17C0F6DD8111.jpg

No problem... just put on the spare.... only, there is no spare - just a pump and a bottle of patch goo it sprays in the tire. He ended up having to be towed to a local repair shop.

They put what they had on the wheel - a Bridgestone Dueler H/L. The other three tires are Continental ProContacts.

When he gets home, I’ll get a cheap wheel and move the Bridgestone to that to use and a spare and replace it with another Continental. I’ll also scare up a jack.

I assume he should be okay for about 500 miles with the mismatched tire....

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

RonG

It’s one of those things I never thought about... cars always came with a spare and no one at the dealerships said anything about there not being one. Never occurred to me.

Brute

Hooked
I don't get it...it is the most common failure on any vehicle anywhere in the world...a spare should be mandatory, not optional...and I still see a couple dummies on the trail without one...

Space saver spares are relatively cheap. Really no excuse to sell a car without one. I need to build a tire carrier still or I'd have one, still throw one in the back when I hit trails.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Manufacturers are desperate to cut weight in order to boost mileage. Spares are heavy. I think they figure, correctly, that your average Joe or Jane will just call road side assistance for a tow rather than getting all dirty or breaking a nail changing a tire. Hence, eliminate the spare.

RonG

The way it was explained to me is that not only does it save on production costs but it also lowers the total vehicle weight and improves MPGs.

jesse3638

Hooked
I forgot about this new stupid game car manufacturers/dealerships have began to play. About a week after I bought my car last year I realized I didn't check. Popped the trunk and there it was. Thought for sure I'd have to buy one.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

robx251

Caught the Bug
My son hit a curb with his Cherokee.

View attachment 313667

No problem... just put on the spare.... only, there is no spare - just a pump and a bottle of patch goo it sprays in the tire. He ended up having to be towed to a local repair shop.

They put what they had on the wheel - a Bridgestone Dueler H/L. The other three tires are Continental ProContacts.

When he gets home, I’ll get a cheap wheel and move the Bridgestone to that to use and a spare and replace it with another Continental. I’ll also scare up a jack.

I assume he should be okay for about 500 miles with the mismatched tire....

Our renegade is the same way. We have some good old rope plugs in a kit that can get you most of the way home until a new tire can get had unless the hole is in the sidewall.

2016 JK Rubicon
35-12.5 R17 Radar Renegade R7 MT
2.5 budget boost
10k Winch/stubby bumper
Trucklites
TYT9800 / Pro510XL
KC1IMA

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Manufacturers are desperate to cut weight in order to boost mileage. Spares are heavy. I think they figure, correctly, that your average Joe or Jane will just call road side assistance for a tow rather than getting all dirty or breaking a nail changing a tire. Hence, eliminate the spare.

This is exactly why, mainly weight to try and hit ever increasing FE standards.

Sent from my SM-G960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
I stopped to help a person with a flat and that's all that was in the space where the spare should have been.

a small air compressor and a can of sealant. :naw:

Top Bottom