Colorado/Moab 2019

Some co-workers and I are planning a trip to black bear then on to Moab around Sept or Oct 2019 and was wondering what trail GPS or apps everyone uses? I've never been to either and some guys in our group have but a map would be nice. I like wheeling in medium groups so of course anyone is welcome t join.

boardsurfer

Some co-workers and I are planning a trip to black bear then on to Moab around Sept or Oct 2019 and was wondering what trail GPS or apps everyone uses? I've never been to either and some guys in our group have but a map would be nice. I like wheeling in medium groups so of course anyone is welcome t join.

Gaia is one of the better gps options. You can download the track to your phone and use it offline which is nice. :thumb:

PEACEMAKER1

Gaia is one of the better gps options. You can download the track to your phone and use it offline which is nice. :thumb:

I just started using Gaia also and it is sweet! I run it on a 7" Samsung tablet and I also bought the Dual XGPS150a receiver. The tablet has GPS in it, but the separate receiver is more reliable and accurate in capturing coordinates and letting the Gaia app use them for excellent positioning. I also like all the different map options on Gaia and the layers feature. It's still new to me, so I am still learning all the features, but so far I am happy with it :)

I just started using Gaia also and it is sweet! I run it on a 7" Samsung tablet and I also bought the Dual XGPS150a receiver. The tablet has GPS in it, but the separate receiver is more reliable and accurate in capturing coordinates and letting the Gaia app use them for excellent positioning. I also like all the different map options on Gaia and the layers feature. It's still new to me, so I am still learning all the features, but so far I am happy with it :)

^^^^^^^^^This. ;-). I use Gaia and the Dual receiver with my IPad. Love the large display.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Slimebones

My buddy and I did this trip in early October this year and snow didn’t allow us to do Black Bear. I recommend September.

FYI: same thing happened to me last year, the last weekend of September. Go before that and you will still be able to enjoy some outstanding color changes in that area.

GreggNY

As mentioned, gaia gps is the way to go. You can also download offline sections of maps on the regular google maps app. I did this ahead of time for regular road travel and a lot of those areas had no service. Worked really well.

I did this trip this past late July into August and it was surprisingly not that crowded. September would probably be perfect though. Enjoy!

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Awesome, thanks for that advise. We’ll plan to move the trip up

This thread comes up every winter, so you can see this advice over and over again. But really Aug is even better. Sept is almost too late too...so if you want the best chance of a trip to remember, go as early in Sept as possible or even Aug. The most optimal time for trips to SW colorado are the last week of July/first week of Aug, and your chances of snow get higher with every week past or before that. Also recommend you watch the lunar calendar, because those trips can be pretty awesome at night with moon or stargazing without it.

Top Bottom